Cato Corporate Reviews | Glassdoor

Cato CEO John P. Derham Cato
John P. Derham Cato
  1. "fashion"

Current Employee - Corporate Travel Agent in Bastrop, LA

I have been working at Cato part-time for less than a year

Pros

You learn more as u work there

Cons

You dont experience as much as u would in a star fashion store

Advice to Management

I can be very good helpful nd very hard workin

Cato2015-05-17
  2. "Could be a great company"

Current Employee - Corporate

I have been working at Cato full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discount, benefits, co-workers, stability, free parking

Cons

CEO micromanages, salary is not competitive, no flexibility in hours, no working from home, moral bad.

Cato2019-06-24

"Can 0 Stars Be An Option?"

I worked at Cato full-time for more than a year

Pros

There’s some great people that will live in hell with you working here

Cons

If they did a study, I bet this company would rank as one of the worst companies to work for in Charlotte. Cato is sinking and the CEO is too stubborn to do anything about it. Stores are closing left and right and the turnover is unlike anything I’ve seen before. The company also just recently had a huge lawsuit filed against them for discrimination and for some bizarre reason they STILL haven’t learned their lesson.... I experienced discrimination first hand here and know women who have lists written out of all of the inappropriate things that have been said to them over their course of working for Cato. HR is useless and only cares about upper management. Prepare to spend 40+ hours a week in absolute misery. And if you’re on the lower end of the totem pole, be prepared to take the blame for everything, including decisions that were made in your department before you even started with the company. It’s an insult how little you are paid for the amount of work asked if you. And for some crazy reason upper management wonders why SO many people leave to work for Belk. They’re so bitter about it that they escort you out it you give your notice and say you’re going to work for them. If my review didn’t make it clear enough already, my advice to whoever is reading this... RUN. Run as fast as your legs will let you. I sure wish I had.

Advice to Management

95% of upper management needs to be fired. If there’s a chance in hell of this joke of a company making it, they need to clean house... starting with the CEO himself.

Cato2019-06-06

"Cato Corporation Review"

Corporate Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cato for less than a year

Pros

good as a entry level job

Cons

Upper Management does not value associates, slow to promote qualified associates and amount of work load given is not reflected in pay, high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Value associates at all levels, increase pay and equally distribute work among associates.

Cato2016-08-25

"Terrible job"

I worked at Cato full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone leaves at 5 PM. Mass exodus that is almost comical.

Cons

Horrible upper management, old school, no innovation. Very clustered groups of upper management who play favorites. Gossip is encouraged. Random vacation days when the CEO is on safari or whatever. I suspected they were not documented but could never say anything.

Advice to Management

Impossible when the top guy is the problem.

Cato2015-12-01

"Run. Fast. Horribly toxic and gossip ridden environment."

I worked at Cato full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay was good.That's it.

Cons

Full of back stabbing, lazy upper management vying for the CEO's favor-at anything and anyone's cost. The most useless admin staff I have ever seen just collecting a check and gossiping. You can expect to see the entire first floor dressed like hookers in the companies clothing line and 5-6 inch heels-Yuck!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the entire counter productive upper management team. Read Malcolm Gladwell's book "Blink", the chapter about Warren Harding and catch a freaking clue! He's there-reincarnated!

Cato2014-08-12

"Most unhappy place I've ever worked..."

Former Employee - Corporate Management in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cato full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are very few, other than the fact that most people made a beeline for the door at 4:59.

Cons

Horrible corporate morale than starts at the top and works its way down. Backstabbing, no room for growth, low pay and pitiful PTO.

Advice to Management

Management is living in the dark ages. Laying off or demoting employees because of the constant backstabbing is horrific at best. I would never recommend anyone join this company. HR is a joke.

Cato2012-12-28