Cato Institute "scholar" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Cato Institute Employee Reviews about "scholar"

Updated Nov 3, 2016

4.6
Cato Institute CEO John A. Allison (no image)
John A. Allison
Pros
  • "There were daily opportunities to learn from expert scholars and to get to know incredibly talented coworkers; the work was interesting(in 15 reviews)

• "If you lean libertarian in your politics, this is the place to be(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Great Internship program, no cons(in 5 reviews)

• "Your workload is heavily dependent on your scholar(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "scholar"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Undergrad Research Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Cato Institute for less than a year

Pros

The Cato Institute works hard to make the summer program great for interns. They have a number of outings/events to help the team of 30+ interns meet each other as well as the staff.

Cons

Depending on the scholar you work for, your experience may vary. Some scholars assigned meaningful and challenging work while others asked interns to transcribe books all summer.

Advice to Management

Spend a little more time mingling with the interns. I felt familiar with upper management but direct managers were not often a part of the group despite being in the same office space.

Cato Institute2016-11-03
  2. "Research Intern"

Research Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Cato Institute for less than a year

Pros

Terrific jobs program, that teaches students/workers plenty about the tenets of libertarianism.

Cons

At times, it feels like the work schedule is TOO BIG and you as an intern don't have enough time to work for the scholar you've been assigned to.

Cato Institute2016-05-04
  3. "Summer Internship"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Cato Institute

Pros

You get to work under scholars who are experts in their respective fields and directly help them with important research. Interns also attend weekly seminars given by a staff member so they are educated on the libertarian view point of all issues and not just their speciality. Interns were very close to each other

Cons

The amount of work is directly related to the projects the scholar is working on so some days can be really slow if you finished a certain project and haven't received any new ones

Cato Institute2016-04-03
  4. "Intern Review"

Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cato Institute for less than a year

Pros

Great structured educational program to learn about the origins of libertarian thought. Diverse range of opinions and policies. The intern office fosters friendships with like minded individuals.

Cons

There is not a lot of chance that you will be hired on after the program. Your workload is heavily dependent on your scholar.

Advice to Management

Have educational seminars in the afternoon, it interrupts workflow much less. Have the intern coordinators facilitate a meeting with an interns scholar so that all three parties are on the same page.

Cato Institute2016-03-17
  5. "Best Employer I've Ever Had"

I have been working at Cato Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Cato Institute has been easily been the employer I've had the pleasure to work under so far. Brilliant scholars, friendly, sociable staff, and everyone is really passionate about what they do. Never a day passes where I don't have a stimulating and thoughtful conversation with my colleagues.

Cons

Work is mostly rigid for support staff, so it's not a great place to grow as a professional. If you aren't already at the top of career as a policy scholar, you'll probably have to find a new employer if you want to move up in your field.

Cato Institute2015-02-28