Cato Institute "scholars" Reviews | Glassdoor

Cato Institute Employee Reviews about "scholars"

Updated May 31, 2018

4.6
Cato Institute President & CEO John A. Allison (no image)
John A. Allison
Pros
  • "There were daily opportunities to learn from expert scholars and to get to know incredibly talented coworkers; the work was interesting(in 15 reviews)

• "If you lean libertarian in your politics, this is the place to be(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Great Internship program, no cons(in 5 reviews)

• "Your workload is heavily dependent on your scholar(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "scholars"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Place to Intern"

Former Intern - Legal Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Cato Institute for less than a year

Pros

The seminars and lectures that you attend as an intern are fantastic and really broaden your outlook on a variety of subjects. Scholars are generally approachable and are willing to have a discourse about many topics.

Cons

Very little opportunity for personal projects, your assignments will all be given to you without much ability to pursue your own interests.

Advice to Management

The young blonde woman who runs the events needs an attitude check as she routinely talked down to the intern class. She was the worst aspect of the job for almost everyone in our intern group.

Cato Institute2018-06-01
  2. "Constitutional Law Intern"

I worked at Cato Institute full-time

Pros

Cons

The cost of living in DC area is relatively high

Cato Institute2018-03-21
  3. "Fantastic Internship Experience in D.C."

I worked at Cato Institute

Pros

If you lean libertarian in your politics, this is the place to be. An absolutely fantastic atmosphere with an incredible amount of opportunity to learn, grow, and network. The daily seminars with Cato scholars were incredibly informative, the overall work experience was very gratifying. There's even a gym in the basement they allow interns to use!

Cons

You'll probably stay busy, and I mean VERY busy, which might leave you feeling as though you missed out on some aspect of the experience here and there. Not necessarily a bad thing though, there is just a lot to experience here. Some of my fellow interns went weeks without any big projects, in which case you will have more time. I'd also say it's very unlikely you will get a job at Cato after your internship.... They don't have too many openings, so don't expect a job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work with the internship program! Seriously, one of the best experiences of my life.

Cato Institute2017-06-19
  4. "Great Place to work"

Media Relations Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Cato Institute for less than a year

Pros

I learned a lot as an intern at the Cato Institute. All of the scholars were so knowledgeable, and Mark and Katy and are awesome!

Cons

Some of the people working in Media Department are rude

Cato Institute2017-01-09
  5. "Research Intern"

I worked at Cato Institute

Pros

Great seminars and opportunities to meet and work with the scholars.

Cons

I have no cons related to working for Cato!

Cato Institute2016-10-21
  6. "Summer Intern"

I worked at Cato Institute

Pros

Very educational experience, learning from some of the most distinguished scholars in the field. Very nice people willing to show you the way of libertarianism.

Cons

Oftentimes shove libertarianism down your throat and it's tough to get your work done because there are so many seminars and lectures that the coordinators expect you to attend.

Cato Institute2016-10-17
  7. "Phenomenal Internship Location!"

I worked at Cato Institute

Pros

Phenomenal internship program with a strong educational component - Multiple Cato Scholar guest speakers a week. You're essentially being taught by superstars who're at the top of their fields. Great intern coordinators and staff Wonderful colleagues

Cons

Absolutely none besides that the new CEO just finished his 1st year, and is still getting adjusted. But that's a very very fine point - everything else is good

Cato Institute2016-05-10
  8. "Amazing Internship"

I worked at Cato Institute

Pros

Potential interns can rejoice in the fact that you will never have to deliver coffee to anyone. The program assigns everyone to specific policy areas where they do meaningful work and develop relationships with the scholar(s) of their department. Interns are respected and even the higher-ups cherish the time they spend with you. And when you get there and see the brilliant institutions all of your peers come from,... you will see why. Cato definitely puts you on a path for a lifetime just in terms of the connections you make. Also, our directors let us have a real good time at happy hours and social events.

Cons

The stipend is a little low for living in DC and the conference girls (many of whom were younger than us) could often be rude and condescending.

Advice to Management

Maintain the open dialogue the staff has with the interns because it is irreplaceable.

Cato Institute2016-04-07
  9. "Summer Internship"

I worked at Cato Institute

Pros

You get to work under scholars who are experts in their respective fields and directly help them with important research. Interns also attend weekly seminars given by a staff member so they are educated on the libertarian view point of all issues and not just their speciality. Interns were very close to each other

Cons

The amount of work is directly related to the projects the scholar is working on so some days can be really slow if you finished a certain project and haven't received any new ones

Cato Institute2016-04-03
  10. "Intern"

I worked at Cato Institute

Pros

Great work environment. Fun people who all care very deeply about what they do. Great way to meet prominent libertarian scholars.

Cons

Some intern seminars were a little elementary and could have gone deeper into the policies discussed. Slightly too much focus on libertarian thought, too little on actual policy.

Cato Institute2016-01-20