Cauldwell-Wingate Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Great Pay, but uncomfortable culture"

Former Employee - Mail Center in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mail Center in New York, NY

I worked at Cauldwell-Wingate (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits (at the time), company lunches, staff parties, excellent location, mostly nice people to work with (that were not management)

Cons

Corporate culture was atrocious, nepotism was rife, a great divide between the office staff and the folks that earned the big dollars.

Advice to Management

The little people matter too, and hire people that aren't related to the managers. Have managers with backbones that will go to bat for you, not let the executives roll all over them.

Jan 4, 2017

Cauldwell Wingate is committed to maintaining a work/life balance and comfortable work environment for all employees at every level within the organization.

2. "Cauldwell, great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Cauldwell-Wingate full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Highly collaborative environment, employees are empowered, great growth potential

Cons

Rapid growth sometime brings growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Cauldwell-Wingate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cauldwell Wingate is in growth/change mode. Lots of good initiatives have been set in motion and looking forward to the outcomes.

Cons

Change does not always happen quickly so there is a lot of work to be done.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to and solicit advice from middle management and below. Develop current talent and promote from within.

5. "Rapid, Tremendous, Positive Growth"

Current Employee - Senior PM in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior PM in New York, NY

I have been working at Cauldwell-Wingate full-time

Pros

Family Feel
    Caring Executive Team
    401 K with participation
    Medical Benefits
    Weekend Hours
    Broad based portfolio

Cons

Somewhat obsolete management software but this is being looked into

Advice to Management

Management should keep going.
    Unfortunately some disgruntled, former employees have left negative reviews on this page. The truth is that this company is represented by a very broad thinking, academic group. This is a great place to work and getting better

Jul 5, 2016

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. We are always interested in hearing candid feedback from our employees so that we can strengthen our organization.

6. "Worst company culture ever!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Location - it's near Grand Central in Midtown. Pay is above average. That's it!

Cons

Well, where do I start with? First thing I hated every day is company culture. There is a saying, Fish Stinks From Head Down, which exactly applies to the company management, some of who are very rude, condescending and do-what-I-say people. They and some of other employees will be cussing left to right, no big deal for them. But, if you curse once, they will call you for it. They are people stuck in mid 20th century construction culture trying to use 21st century technologies, which they hate and don't know how to use. Very pathetic people to say the least. If you are looking for IT job in this place, stay away!

The second thing is the office - it's very small and old, carpet hasn't been cleaned for ages until recently, no cubicles, zero privacy. The mini restroom, which is used by at least 50 men, is dirty all the time. These people don't know how to use a toilet, which is not flushed, pee all over the seat, very disgusting.

The noise from constant construction/renovation going on outside on the walls every once a week or two. Sometimes it's so loud, you just can't stand sitting there and have to walk out.

The AC is not working properly. It blows abnormal temperatures during winter. Never same temperature in the office. This building needs to be demolished and rebuilt.

Jul 5, 2016

Cauldwell Wingate fosters a respectful work environment and all employees acknowledge the policy in our employee manual. Our main office is in a landmark building that is well maintained.

"Worst company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Superintendent in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Superintendent in New York, NY

I worked at Cauldwell-Wingate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-401k matching up to 4%
    -Free medical if your salary is under 100k
    -Yearly bonus was competitive

Cons

-Extremely long hours
    -Field staff regularly works weekends without OT, and often times for other people's projects
    -Field staff can expect an average of 2 weekends of work per month. Every little task requires the field super to be present. You can literally be asked to cover a project on a Sunday so you can supervise paint to dry.
    -Field management has no respect for anyone and treats employees like garbage
    -No automatic raises
    -When times were tough, they cut corners everywhere. This includes laborers for projects, so you will have to do your own site cleaning. Better be ready to push a broom.
    -Regularly under estimates projects, resulting in tight general conditions.
    -Let me again emphasize how outrageous it is that you have to cover other people's projects on your own time on a Saturday, without any additional compensation.

Advice to Management

Start treating your field staff with some respect. Your middle management is what's causing everyone to quit. And for god's sake, why do super's have to be onsite to watch paint dry? It's ridiculous to ask us to give up our weekends for other people's projects.

"Project Management"

Pros

It is a good company to work for when considering the benefits and perks.

Cons

My training was inadequate and the hours can amount to 60 a week including weekends and nights unpaid over 40 hours.

"Complete Disconnect Between Main Office and Site"

Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Cauldwell-Wingate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A job that pays money.

Cons

Pay, sick-time if part of your vacation time, 60 hour weeks for field supers and pms, superintendents have potential to be stationed at 12 different sites a year. potentially 3+ sites in a week. Expenses for parking?-perhaps but not likely. If you are within your 1st year you potentially will be written up for 2 consecutive sick days (even with doctor's note).

Advice to Management

Get out into the field full time. Remove lazy people that are covering themselves are not properly reporting effort to Executives. Many unqualified PMs and Supers. Sons and Daughters of executives all over the company.

10. "Well structured company with a depth of knowledge and a senior staff eager to share it."

I have been working at Cauldwell-Wingate full-time

Pros

Small, well structured teams allow for much transparency and opportunities to learn the full range of construction management.

Cons

Some technologies are antiquated and require redundant work.

11. "Project Management- Huge Potential for Growth"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Cauldwell-Wingate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Family feeling where you get to know everyone at the company from the CEO to Interns within all of the company's various departments. Open door policy with Executives, which is rewarding.

-Exposure to all aspects of the CM industry (i.e. Field Supervision, Project Management, Estimating, Purchasing, etc.).

-Tons of Responsibility= Tons of room to grow and accelerate at a faster rate than at a large company.

-Great Benefits: Health/Dental (Company Fully Pays prior to being highly compensated), Life Insurance, Strong 401K Benefits, Yearly Bonus.

-Main office location across from Grand Central makes for easy commuting.

Cons

-Overwhelming level of work at times.

-Working on multiple jobs under different Executive's makes for difficult communication at times, especially if you are caught in the middle.

Advice to Management

-Continue the training programs, as they offer a lot of insight one might not get on their specific project. They have been very successful so far.
    -Develop ways to increase team chemistry and company spirit. (I.e. company team)