Cavalry Portfolio Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Timothy Stapleford

1. "Valhalla full time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valhalla, NY

I have been working at Cavalry Portfolio Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture. They work hard to promote teamwork. Very focused on compliance. CEO communicates very well.

Cons

Tough environment - lots of regulations.

2. "Cavalry"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Cavalry Portfolio Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work part time from 8am to 12pm was a plus.

Cons

The part time employees were not treated as part of the company by management or full time employees. We were made to feel like a number only. They sem to add work but did not want to pay more than $10/h

3. "Terrible Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valhalla, NY

I have been working at Cavalry Portfolio Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is located close to my home.

Cons

There is a huge turnover. The senior staff takes credit for your work.

5. "Resolution Specialist"

Former Employee - Resolution Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Resolution Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Cavalry Portfolio Services (More than a year)

Pros

I love Cavalry.. I left due to a personal family decisions, but It was a great company to work for.. From Managers, HR, Training and coworkers they are all great people always willing to help... Managers are highly knowledgeable about the collection field . You will be making about 250 calls per day, plus the incoming calls.. You need good listening skills, and must be able to multi-task ALOT, Must have a thick skin for this collections type of environment. You cannot work here if you are someone who cannot take upset customers screaming at you. You will get your great loyal customers and the upset ones too...

One of the best parts here was the money although the hourly starting rate is not as high as other companies, their bonus and commission structure is uncapped. If you are a good collector, customer service, and money motivated person its a great opportunity to take home great bonus and commission month after month!!!!! Another great thing is if you are a top collector you have the opportunity to set up your own schedule which worked great for me..

Cons

Unfortunately with this type of companies with a high volume of employees there is always people who come to work to gossip and do everything else besides collecting on those account.. If you are smart you will know how to handle it to keep a positive, professional environment.

Advice to Management

just keep doing what you are doing, you guys are a great asset to this company..

"Never Developed"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Cavalry Portfolio Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not much. Some good people. Can be opportunistic in its design, but value that you create can be fleeting. There seemed to be growth and opportunity around the corner, but it never came to fruition.

Cons

Most people need to tear someone else down to create value or opportunity. Highly impatient culture. Analytics is done in an ad-hoc fashion with a heavy hand regardless of the business case. Nobody feels secure in their position and even senior managers are probably better off undermining more talented people in order to keep themselves propped up. The majority owner has made a lot of money in spite of himself, his petty nature has gotten in the way of the business growing and becoming a good place to work. The CEO is very capable and a good leader, however he is crippled by the chairman and is not allowed to lead effectively, the COO is insecure / closed minded, the CFO is the most sound business person in the company but mostly at an eagle's pov, the legal department is an elitist frat, anything having to do with collections operations outside of legal paper has withered and died, even HR has lost its people and has only served as a blind agent, its generally a depressing atmosphere.

Advice to Management

It's unbearable to try and work with a price tag on your head earning under market, having staff cut and laying off people on a whim with no thanks. All the while, the equity holders earn 7 to 8 figures and buy castles, cars, and whatever else while all others squeak by.

7. "unsure what this is suppose to say"

Former Employee - Sorter in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Sorter in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Cavalry Portfolio Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

part time was good at the time

Cons

low pay,no job substance,part time position was discontinued

"RUN"

Current Employee - Legal in Valhalla, NY
    Current Employee - Legal in Valhalla, NY

I have been working at Cavalry Portfolio Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Aside from being able to say "i have a full time job", there are no pros for this company. Employees receive a biweekly crap paycheck and benefits that make Obamacare look like heaven.

Cons

Very sneaky and deceptive (to customers AND employees). High turnover. Employees are not treated like sentient beings. Micromanaged. Bonus' and base pay are a joke. Noone knows what they are doing, including management.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like subhumans. Invest in hardworking, knowledgeable employees. Be honest instead of trying to cover your butts. You've created an environment that creates nothing but resentment, paranoia and misery. Humble your self and acknowledge you'd be nowhere without the people you constantly step on all day.

9. "make it hard to hit new money and bonus"

Current Employee - Resolution Specialist Front-end in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Resolution Specialist Front-end in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Cavalry Portfolio Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Managers are Awesome to work with and I have met some wonderful people here that I call family.. The health benefits are good, the gym in basement is okay, grill is okay..

Cons

Bonus structure has changed, the majority of our accounts now go to agency..We don't make the money like we use to make.. 90 % of our inbounds go to agency or attorney or customer service questions.. The majority of agency accounts are paying but we see none of that money.. I been at Cavalry over 5 years and the last 2 yrs things have totally changed.. I have did collections over 15 years and I have never seen it as bad as I do now.. The money is out there but Agency is taking it all .. They hired the agency because we were told they were cheaper to work with.. This was said by upper Mgmt and across the floor.. We heard these words with our own ears.. I used to think Cav-Cares but now I'm not so sure of that.. I have seen a lot of good collectors quit because they weren't getting the bonuses anymore due to Agency getting them.. Even pre-lit isnt doing well anymore some of best legal collectors got put back on front-end due to not meeting their goal which makes it hard to do when Agency gets the accounts.. And when we get accounts their garbage stuff so old or they all speak spanish or some other foreign language we cant even pronounce.. They make it hard for us collectors..Also the audit structure isn't fair.. They ding you for everything sometimes foolish things.. We have to have $4000 new money before you can get your audit money.. If you pass all your audits and get 6 highs but don't get your new money you lose your $250 audit bonus.. It used to not be that way.. I remember when I first started with Cavalry they were announcing money everyday on the floor but now you rarely hear it much anymore.. I miss those days where I used to love my job but now it makes me want to leave.. I am totally dissatisfied with the way our company is going.. Things have changed so much and it's not for the better.. I don't recommend anyone apply for this company.. futhermore we haven't hired anybody in over a year makes us wonder if they are trying to get rid of the employees so they just have a small group to work with and can expand more with the Agency..
    The career opportunities for advancement and growth isn't there..Your kinda stuck where you are..

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work I enjoy working with all of you.. One thing I can say is I have never worked with a better set of managers than the ones we have.. We are blessed to have them they truly care about us but as far as the upper heads not so much..
    As for the owner and rest of you get our accounts back from Agency we work so hard for you guys and we deserve to be paid our bonuses.. These accounts belong to us.. Show us that Cav- Cares once again.. Its not just me complaining it's all across the floor..If you want to keep the good loyal employees you have now you best step up to the plate and do something before it's too late.. The employees are loyal and we expect same from the owner..

"Resolution Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Cavalry Portfolio Services (More than a year)

Pros

Always something different to deal with.

Cons

Made so many changes never knew what was going on.

11. "Recovery Specialist"

Former Employee - Account Resolution Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Account Resolution Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Cavalry Portfolio Services (More than a year)

Pros

Great management in the Tulsa office

Cons

Not shared with all employees