Cbeyond Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cbeyond Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Geiger
Jim Geiger

Pros
  • Training is good for fresh out of school entry-level sales reps (in 24 reviews)

• Great incentives, bonuses, advancement, great people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours and demanding goals that could be difficult to achieve (in 35 reviews)

• days, door to door sales in burned out territories (in 13 reviews)

1. "Opportunity of a lifetime"

Current Employee - Solution Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Solution Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cbeyond gave me an opportunity to learn consultative solution selling as an entry-level employee. The product training was excellent. The daily expectations have changed dramatically over the past year and a half. I am now in charge of my own daily schedule and am free to run my business how I see fit. My sales have improved because of the recent changes in management style. I have met some incredibly successful people that I am proud to call my mentors. Community involvement is quite fulfilling.

Cons

The sales training has not evolved to mirror the actual sales strategy that lets one be successful in this position. Consequently, new employees are often discouraged for the first 4 months. After which, they either quit or are ambitious enough to succeed no matter the circumstance. A lot of the tenured employees are falling off at a rampant pace - probably because change makes people uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

We have moved away from hiring entry-level; but, I wouldn't be a national sales leader without such opportunity. Take a chance on a green employee if you see the determination in their eyes. For those that own a successful track record, be a coach and a resource, but let them run their own business.

"RUN AWAY"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good comp plan when it was run by a great mgr. She had contests, team morale meetings. People flowed well.

Cons

Great mgr got transferred to another dept. They brought in a snake of a hatchet man whose background was in marketing-poor people skills and he let the africans take over the dept and run the good people out. Morale stunk, productivity down and he and a female mgr told reps to withhold churns til after the first of the month if they were close to not keeping with their max churn number.

Advice to Management

Stop running your good people off with your micro managing!

"Senior Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Cbeyond (More than 3 years)

Pros

When it was Cbeyond everything was great. Great pay and wonderful, ever-expanding product/service offering with awesome customer care and implementation teams. The people were the best and probably the most significant factor in keeping me there for so long.

Cons

Birch acquired the company and reduced it to a shell of what it was. In the months prior to the acquisition I could feel it coming as cutbacks in customer care and implementation were slowly beginning to cause problems and my confidence in selling services.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the commoditized Internet market in Dallas and the way you treat your employees. Micromanagement will only drive your best people away.

5. "the best learning and early sales development i could have asked for"

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- teach you how to sell
    - throw you to the lions
    - invest in employees
    - tons of encouragement
    - amazing training

It is both interesting and entertaining the amount of people who post negative things about Cbeyond. Ironically, they are all from people who either sucked at the job because they didn't put in the time, work and effort, or they are people that quit within the first month because they were too 'micro managed.' Please. This is how a good sales person learns, and my guess is that those people either don't work in sales any more, or are still job jumping because they are finding that every sales company expects delivery and results.

Cons

- antiquated technology
    - behind in the bandwidth world
    - revolving sales door

Advice to Management

every manager is different. this is pointless.

"don't do it"

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- outside sales gives freedom to not be stuck in a office all day
    - Sales Team members are friendly and are willing to help one another

Cons

- heavy micro management
    - when cold calling your territory you will run into allot of scenarios where gatekeepers or owners will tell you your the fifth Cbeyond sales rep they have seen in the past three months.
    -Pay is not great

7. "Do your Job, get rewarded..."

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great incentives to meet quota and sell promoted items.
    Very fun and relaxed working environment.
    Made great friends and great connections to business owners in local area.

Cons

Micro-management is implemented... but mostly, only when employee is not meeting their numbers (commitment to the team is not met, repeatedly).
    Commission can take time to get to you, since it is given when customer is installed to CBEY service.

Advice to Management

I never had issues, but for some of my co-workers there was a feeling of 'favoritism' for certain people in the office. Obviously, this could be due to personal (private) issues, or to that employees ability to deliver each month on their quota.
    I felt very comfortable with the management, and felt I was treated fairly on my ability to work efficiently and deliver a quality sales performance.

"A lot of work, not a good pay scale"

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great work environment, employees are great
    - Training consisted of not only sales skills, but also knowledge of product
    - Quality product and service lineup that is cost competitive comparing to similar products/services

Cons

- Cold calling all day, so be ready to walk a lot and drive a lot
    - Managers push quantity over quality
    - Pay structure does not equal other companies in the industry or even other resellers of Cbeyond
    - Employee turnover

Advice to Management

Make sure you hire the right people. There is a certain person who will fit the mold of a cold caller. Although management does a pretty good job of telling new hires that it is difficult when you first start.

9. "I kind of loved it"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people there are really wonderful, and the perks are great. If you can sell, then there are tons of fun incentives.

Cons

When I was there the company and the products were going through a lot of changes and restructuring and it was really tough. I left because I was worried about job security, though now that things there have settled down, I wish I hadn't.

"Great experience."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

-Fun company.
    -Opportunity for advancement.
    -Changing to keep up with competitors.
    -Meet great people.
    -Looks great on a resume.
    -Cell phone
    -Ability to relocate with the company.

Cons

-MICRO MANAGEMENT.
    -The Car/Gas money is minimal.
    -Some people in upper management play favorites.
    -Right time, right place for promotions.
    -Waste employees time/gas for unnecessary reasons.

Advice to Management

Quit holding your managers hands - this is only adding to the turnover. If there is a constant chain of micro management then where is the trust? If there was a change so that this didn't trickle down to directly affect your Territory Sales Reps then you would absolutely increase your employee's happiness.

"this sales model works!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

the training is amazing: if you've never done outside b2b sales before, the training teaches you everything you need to know from walking into a business to closing the deal.

Rapid advancement based on solid, defined benchmarks for performance

Cons

long hours and hard work in the beginning. It's very entrepreneurial, just like starting up a business, you need to build a foundation by cold calling toa network of contacts and referrals that generate leads. Once that happens, leads start rolling in!

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with your branches to see what's working and what's not...these are your front line troops!