Cbeyond Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cbeyond Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Geiger
Jim Geiger

Pros
  • Training is good for fresh out of school entry-level sales reps (in 24 reviews)

• Great work environment, great co workers, great break room/facilities (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours and demanding goals that could be difficult to achieve (in 35 reviews)

• days, door to door sales in burned out territories (in 13 reviews)

1. "Network Support Technician"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only when it was owned by then CEO Jim Geiger.

Cons

Company was sold to another company called Birch Communications.

"TSR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Cbeyond (Less than a year)

Pros

- gets you interviews with other companies

Cons

- terrible sales process
    - micromanagement
    - bad brand

"It's alright"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. Definitely the people, hands down

Cons

Management had no idea what they were doing are they let go a plethora of people. It went downhill from there

Advice to Management

You live & you learn

5. "Former Territory Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co workers, decent money, looks good on a resume, good sales training

Cons

horrible long hours, may be in dangerous territories, extremely difficult sell

6. "Great place to work until 2010. New leadership from outside company changed the work environment negatively."

Former Employee - Escalation Support in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Escalation Support in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team of people and with growth potential if you knew the right people.

Cons

Too many managers and directors. Leadership was not trustworthy.

7. "Good Sales Training but a Miserable Job and Company"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're right out of college and this is a first job, you may want to consider it. They offer a great sales training program. Use this job as a stepping stone to get the sales job you want. Young culture, weekly competitions, and spiffs. And they have a great advancement program, so if you work hard and do well you'll get promoted really quickly. And by quickly I mean within weeks.

Cons

There is nothing glamorous about this job. Every day you are out there beating the bushes knocking on door to door of local businesses. And here's the thing... the businesses/business owners hate you. Because you're interrupting their day and trying to sell them a product/service they do not want. That someone else has already tried to sell them 20 times. The gatekeepers usually know who you are the moment you walk in the door. The Management team has really unrealistic expectations of their sales reps. They require that you hit 50 doors (business) a DAY and if you run an appointment that counts as 10. So yeah... 50 cold calls a day. Lastly, I wasn't that impressed with their product/service offering so I didn't feel that good about what I was selling. I never felt like I was giving the business owners a valuable solution.

Advice to Management

Treat your people like people. Not a number.

8. "Merger Hurting the culture"

Current Employee - Program/Project Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Program/Project Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people who really care about staff and customers at the lower levels of the company

Cons

New management is disconnected from culture and making business changes that may drastically impact the customer

Advice to Management

Be honest with staff about which groups are likely to be laid off because of redundancy so that we have a chance of retaining some of the critical people inside of the organization

"One of, if not, the worst sales jobs I have ever had (Oakbrook, IL)"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of Cbeyond's product lines like Cloud based PBX, Cloud server & back-up, even high speed Fiber internet are new and exciting products to sell. The company also spends good money on the office facility (at least the Oakbrook, IL location anyway) The two week training course was also very helpful to me from a standpoint of they train you on how to run a sales presentation, useful in any sales job and the trainers actually care to see that you are adequately trained.

Cons

The WORST management I have ever seen at an organization. Good Ol Boy (or, Good Ol Girl) mentality when talking about promotion. EXTENSIVE micromanagement expecting unrealistic numbers instructing to knock doors of prospects (old school approach) that HATE the brand when most say, "I will never have Cbeyond again". Lack of post sales support and bad service has resulted in tens of thousands of ill fated web reviews of Cbeyond service left by customers exposes ALL OR MOST of your newly interested prospects to the horrors other businesses have had to deal with which kills your POTENTIAL deal and flushes all your hard work, money spent on gasoline (which is NOT at all fully or properly compensated for), and your career at a failing company, DOWN THE TOILET...Don't make the same mistake I did and fall for their lies saying you could hit 6 figures and above in your first year. Its virtually impossible. The top rep at the company was near 90k and that was only because he had a tech vendor spoon feeding him 'free deals'...Maybe you will get lucky. Maybe you will make some bucks but I promise you will HATE your job AND your manager and that's OK by Cbeyond because they know this will happen, you will move on, quit or get terminated, and they will hire another "You'...CHURN AND BURN BABY.

Advice to Management

DOOR KNOCKING AS A PRIMARY SALES TACTIC DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE. Integration of "2.0" type products into the portfolio take time to sell as the SMB world IS NOT EVEN CLOSE to embracing cloud based technology or trusting it to run their business. Those type of sales do not close overnight but management says they can. All you have to do is knock MORE DOORS. Allow sales folks to write off their miles spent driving in the field as opposed to offering $12.00 Per appointment run and then calling that figure 'Gas Reimbursement' It's actually called 'Phantom Revenue'. When my financial advisor found out about this he literally COULD NOT believe it and almost had me march straight to the HR department and demand they change how I was compensated. Because of the way Cbeyond compensated for gas/mileage, my advisor told me I COULD NOT legally write off my miles.

10. "High expectations, terrible reputation."

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benifits, and decent pay for experience. They do a good job a keeping a positive attitude within the office, so every day starts out on a positive note. Good training for getting into sales. If you want to build up a tough skin it's a good place to do it. Every sales job after this will seem easy.

Cons

They need to try really hard to keep everyone positive in the office because once you leave, reality will hit you hard. Happy customers are hard to find and there are plenty of unhappy ex customers.
    They tell you that they are making some big positive changes when they hire you, and that you are one of them, but you will find out that they hire and layoff sales people regularly and that they told that to the previous reps.
    They practice a common business tactic where they have massive layoffs in the fourth quarter to make sure their fourth quarter reports look better. If they are paying half the people then they arent loosing as much money.
    You'll find when you go to an account and they will tell you "I will never do business with Cbeyond again." When you try to tell them your changing they say that's what Cbeyond has always has said.. Some businesses actually have "No Cbeyond" signs on their doors. You have to toughen up quick or you'll be miserable.

Advice to Management

If your really trying to change the company the actuall do it. Change your name. "Cbeyond" has a stigma. Some of my coworkers aren't even putting it on their resumes. Turn Cbeyond 2.0 into "INSERT NAME HERE" 1.0

11. "Could have been great"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice product set-- a good solution.

Cons

Lots of talk by management, needs more action.

Advice to Management

Make a plan and stick to it.