Cbeyond Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Cbeyond Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Geiger
Jim Geiger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Training is good for fresh out of school entry-level sales reps (in 24 reviews)

• Great work environment, great co workers, great break room/facilities (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours and demanding goals that could be difficult to achieve (in 35 reviews)

• days, door to door sales in burned out territories (in 13 reviews)

"Overworked and Underpaid"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

It's a job. Direct Deposit

Cons

Pay is below average. They overwork their employees. No work-life balance. They won't hesitate to call you at night, weekends or vacations to ask you to work. They won't hesitate to demand that you work all weekend or all night. My boss emailed me a new assignment at 7 PM and then called me at midnight (same day) to ensure that I would have it done by 1 AM!!! Was I recognized or thanked or given comp time for this? Of course not! Was this the only time? Of course not!
    The work at home policy is inconsistent within the company - some groups allow you to do it, others apply a zero work at home.
    They "recognize" their top employees with "awards" but not in a tangible way such as promotions, pay raises, or bonuses. They used to be able to get away with offering every employee stock options to keep them happy, but now that their stock has dropped over 50% from when I started, my stock options are completely worthless.

Advice to Management

Please stop overworking your employees and actually hire enough people to get the job done right.

"Cbeyond - Low employee moral and unprofessional management plague an industry leader."

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Denver, CO

Pros

They will hire anyone willing to start as an entry level outside sales rep.

The product lineup is updated often enough to stay ahead of the competition.

Cbeyond has a culture of promotion from within.

Cbeyond runs a lot of contests to keep the reps motivated to sell.

Cons

Turnover is about 100% month to month. They hire an average of 12 new reps every month and on average, about 12 sales reps leave the company each month.

Gas allowance is about $150 to $200 per month for driving about 2000+ miles each month.

Reps are hyper-micro managed in all aspects of the job and are expected to work 7:30am until 7pm.

Employee morale is VERY LOW - probably the lowest I've ever seen in any job I've ever worked.

Management is very unprofessional. Yelling, horseplay, etc. are all commonplace in management meetings, during telemarketing time, etc.

Advice to Management

Please be more professional. It is hard to be a sales professional on a sales call when management is screaming in the background. I understand that it's supposed to increase the energy level during phone time, but I can't count how many people hung up on me because of the unprofessional background screams.

"Prepare for Micro-Management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Decent place to start if you want to get into sales. The structure is great for you to develop your work ethic. Promotion is from within the company. Research the company's product before anything.

Cons

Long hours and micromanagement. Most of the work is redundant and monotonous. There is no trust between the sales rep and management. The product training is very basic and does not prepare you for more complicated telephone systems that some may have. High pressure sales tactics are make many of the prospects uncomfortable. Most or all the management team lack experience and leadership is nonexistent in many ways.

Advice to Management

Listen to sales reps that have been there a little bit longer and try to think outside the box.

"Dead End Job!"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Other organizations know the hard work the employees put in here. You learn the dark sides of business. Entry level job with great lessons in telemarketing and high pressure sales. Much of your time is spent opening doors and dialing numbers.

Cons

Micromanagement!!!!! College grads are treated like children. Your life outside of work becomes non-existent because you are either too tired or just don't have any time. If you have a college degree, don't waste your time. Unprofessional work environment which gets old quickly, especially when fog horns are going off while you are trying to set an appointment with a CEO.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horses and work with your reps.

"Stay away from this job if you want to have a life or be happy."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Cbeyond gives good, in-depth sales training using an aggressive model. You learn to be a very aggressive salesperson selling a difficult product while working 12 hour days. If you stick with it, you definitely learn how to sell and future employers will know that coming out of here you definitely have some good work ethic. Also, there is opportunity to advance rapidly, with promotions possible within months of being hired. There is also good camaraderie within the salestaff, and a pretty youthful atmosphere. We also get a Blackberry.

Cons

DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU WANT ANY SORT OF LIFE BEYOND WORK. Signing up to work at Cbeyond essentially means signing your life away. This is a sales SWEATSHOP. They will work you to death. My branch even tried to have us cold call on a Saturday. You will literally work 12 hour days for just average sales pay, and your days will be bookended by hours of bureaucracy. We have an hour and a half of meetings before we even hit the phones, and after 40 dials, and then hitting 50 cold call doors/points, we have to drive BACK to the office to do time-wasting paperwork and computer data-entry on EVERY. SINGLE. DOOR. we hit that day. I arrive at the office at 7:25AM, and half the time I don't leave until 7:30 PM or later. I get back at my house around 8; I never even see my boyfriend in sunlight unless it's the weekend since I leave before the sun rises and return after it sets. I used to run 3 miles a day and go to the gym regularly--nope, don't do that anymore. I used to do a lot of stuff like have hobbies and cook etc but now I come back so exhausted that I'm in bed at 11.

Don't work here if having time off around the holidays is important to you (like if your family is out of state and you want to visit them). Company policy has it so that only 20% of an office can take a day off on any given day, with the decision based on tenure. This means that the other 80% of us are working on Christmas Eve irregardless of whether we have the vacation days accrued or not.

The gas compensation plan is also retarded. Rather than compensate us for the amount of gas we use or the number of miles we drive, or just providing a reasonable flat gas comp per month, we get just $50 a month. After that, we get $10 for each company we run a full appointment with. That's regardless of whether your territory is right outside the office or 30 miles away. I have a far territory--I drive about 100 miles total each day--so even though I've run a helluva lot of appointments I still don't get nearly compensated enough on gas.

Speaking of comps, commissions, and bonuses... well, we don't get those until 2 months later anyway. And if you quit before you've actually been issued a check for something you EARNED (like appointment gas comps or commissions), you just won't get them. I've been working here for 2 months, and so far I haven't seen a penny of it. From what I understand I will get all that at the end of THIS month, and I'm just biding my time to quit til then since otherwise I stand to lose nearly $1000 that I worked my butt off for.

We're forced to act so damn happy and excited about Cbeyond at work, but really this is a nightmare job from hell and every day I regret turning down good sales jobs at multinational corporations with normal hours and better pay to work here. I was suckered in by all the happy campers I met here during my interview and field ride, and drawn to the youthful post-college company culture. I ignored the reviews on this site, actually, because the hiring manager and other people I talked to here all told me to ignore it. Now I'm one of the "happy campers" telling interviewees how awesome the job is when really it's making me die inside and all I want to do is tell them to run away while they still have the chance.

Advice to Management

If you want to do something about the insane turnover rate--since you've invested so much money into training each of us only to have us rapidly quit--then how about giving us some HUMANE work conditions?? I'm not asking for the Google treatment, but I wouldn't be burning out if I were working 10 hour days instead of 12 (see, not asking for too much there) and if I were compensated fairly and expediently for the $100's that I'm spending on gas each week. I'm the top seller from my training class, I know how to sell, but I'm going bye-bye in 2 weeks because I'd rather be unemployed that come back to this miserable job.

"WELCOME TO HELL"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Cbeyond gives you the opportunity to be trained in their sales model. It is a good job if you like cold calling doors all day. If you are money motivated you may be able to make a decent amount of money, but be prepared to have no social life or free time. If you like to be micro-managed and work 60 hour weeks then this is the career for you.

Cons

60 hour work weeks, COLD CALLING for 6-7 hours straight, micro management, immature management. Cbeyond trains you to work their sales model but they don't explain how to utilize it in the field. Cbeyond's management is way to aggressive and unprofessional. Before you sign up to work with cbeyond, look at the retention rate of employees within the branch.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect, act like senior managers, and be professional.

"True Life: I was a Cbeyond"er""

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

If you have NO sales experience and want something on your resume that you can claim for your inevitable future job searches

Cons

Oh... the memories! The previous posts really bring me back to a time in my life where I was insanely miserable. I ended up turning down a similar job with Verizon Wireless to take this based on the young culture and seemingly fun atmosphere. I was swooned by the false promises of an average first year income of $75K and performance-based promotions. Coming from a company that was so difficult to move up, that was a huge selling point for me.

Then I started...

Every one of the comments about insanely long hours and little to no personal life are true. To be fair, I fully support busting your rear when starting a new job and realizing some things will have to take a back seat for a while, but show a little gratitude once in a while. Micro-management is their M.O., chaining you to your desk for 3 hours twice a week minimum to call on the cards you collect the rest of the time. You end up working to pay for gas as you are required to drive an average of 75 miles a day, which in CA at the time paying almost $5/gallon, meant $100/week on gas.

Ended up that I did fairly well in my 4th month with the company and sold 5 deals, but had to move back east due after my father had a stroke. I explained my situation to management and was promised that I would be paid out on those deals assuming they ended up installing (which many times does not end up happening). This is not commonplace but was assured they understood and sympathized. Long story short, they didn't and I was screwed out of almost $4000 that I had slaved for.

That was the short version of my time with the company, and for any experienced sales professionals considering a job with them, everything you have read about Cbeyond on this site is 110% accurate, so take it as you will. I would suggest looking elsewhere personally.

Advice to Management

Time to re-brand the company and shift your focus on effective marketing of the company rather than sending in brainwashed kids right out of school into local businesses to aggressively and incessantly pester them. The idea and product has great potential, just the wrong strategy being implemented.

"Desperate and fresh out of college"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Pros

great way to network and gain some experience

Cons

lots of hours. tough sell. going door to door

Advice to Management

Hire competent middle management professionals instead of promoting sales people with no management experience into these roles.

"Overexaggerated Hype"

Current Employee - Manager in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Anaheim, CA

Pros

You get to sing in front of coworkers. Encouragement of booze ,events and random perks that solid companys would not do because they concentrate on ethics and strength of brand.

Cons

Sucks in every level.
    Encouraged clique-ness that has nothing to do with a real business model.

Similiar structure to a youth nazi camp.

Mostly brainwashing techniques and substandard treatment of employees on all levels except upper tier management.

Advice to Management

Sell your stock, if you even are allowed a share.Your company is headed for a fall.

"I rather be unemployed"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Gardena, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Gardena, CA

Pros

Benefits, descent sales training, cool co workers, and selling technology. And most important, getting a paycheck to pay for your gas for your car.

Cons

LONG HOURS! 12 hours a day on average. Get in to the office around 7:30, then do "Rookie Role Play" training for a half hour and then go into the field. After driving around for another 60 miles to my territory, Id have to drive all the way back to the office to go over my day. I put on about 400 miles a week in driving and you dont get gas mileage reimbursement per mile. Huge turnover rate,3 to 4 few quit a week. It was implied you had to go to "optional" work events or else you would be blackballed for not being a "team player". Never got time off, too exhausted to go out on the weekends because of work during the week, the product we sell sucks, and get ready to be yelled at by everybody you speak to because they have already been visited by our reps countless times and have said "no" every single time.

Advice to Management

I have no idea where to even begin. First try selling a product that works, then we can take it from there.