CeCity.com Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Lloyd Myers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Internship experience"

Pros

- Good work culture and senior people are easily reachable

Cons

- I have not experienced any issue while working there

2. "Toxic Workplace for IT"

Former Employee - IT Analyst
    Former Employee - IT Analyst

I worked at CeCity.com full-time

Pros

Pay isn't below market. Interesting industry.

Cons

Everyone in the development area appears miserable. A condescending and accusatory tone is the norm for nearly all conversations. Meetings are a nightmare. Stay away if you love development and want to be happy.

Advice to Management

Take a management course and learn how to manage people not just projects.

3. "you kind of need to drink the kool aid to like it here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Homestead, PA

I worked at CeCity.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very flexible dress code is about the biggest pro here. some good benefits in terms of time off, which wasn't always the case. they're trying to do some innovative things in terms of improving healthcare

Cons

for a technology/start-up company, this place sure lacks the flexible hours characteristic of most other companies in the field. you basically have to show up at a very specific time and leave at a very specific time. forget trying to work from home on a regular basis or work through your lunch hour so you can leave an hour early. can be kind of stingy in granting time off or bonuses for particular projects. most leadership have been in the same role for years and years and seem to have gotten there due to family/personal connections. there is a real lack of sharing information between departments that can stifle your role to perform your own duties properly.

Advice to Management

allow flexible hours and telecommuting options. open up with regards to new/developing projects and share them with the appropriate stakeholders.

4. "Great people, famly owned,great benefits, diversity +"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Homestead, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Homestead, PA

I worked at CeCity.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free parking, great benefits,nice people, nice office space.
    Pay, dress down options

Cons

Family managed, Directors love to hear themselves talk, ideas change like the wind, poorly managed projects, propitiatory software. They have created the product in such a way that only its own programmers and developers understand the code. At the time, product was complicated, coding of proprietary software made it difficult to adapt to changes in the marketplace. It could be likened to Facebook for physicians. .

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to work from home occasionally.
    You are a great family to work for but there are people there that also have families and could appreciate some flexibility in their work hours.

"Work Hard and Make A Difference"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Homestead, PA

I worked at CeCity.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CECity has the best people working here. Everyone works hard and is passionate about building something important to improve healthcare. The work is challenging and plentiful and I feel like every one of us really makes a contribution. The pace is really fast, which I love, because I'm never bored but it's not for everybody. You can't just float by here and as a result I don't have even one lazy coworker. There is no "red tape" or the political posturing found in big corporations.

401k match and bonus each year and amazing health and dental plans. Very rich plans for every employee and our families that is fully funded by the company. Wow, never had that anywhere else.

Cons

There is a lot to do and it can be stressful at times, but like I said before the people are amazing. When I have a lot to get done and start to struggle, there has always been someone there to ask "how can I help"?

Wish we had more PTO but it's manageable. They let us leave early before holidays and my manager has given me time off when I have had to put in extra hours to get a project done.

Advice to Management

More PTO would be nice.

"Hard company to fit into, and you may not want to..."

I have been working at CeCity.com full-time

Pros

Free Healthcare for you and family, Great Co-workers, Innovative Company, Unique Niche in the Healthcare Market. Able to take concepts to fruition very quickly.

Cons

Minimal Vacation Time, Family-Run Business, Poor Processes and Structure, Favoritism, Lots of Stress, Unclear Expectations, Have to figure everything out yourself with minimal guidance, Hard to get things done for projects that are not favored, No work/life balance. Lacking Professional Atmosphere. Everything is a fire drill because they wait till the last minute.

Advice to Management

Need real Human Resources and a staff Ombudsman, Need to identify Vision and Priorities, Can't be everything for every organization, Be more transparent to staff, Allow staff to have professional development. Get over the petty things, and be professional.

"A place you'll never put on your resume after you leave."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at CeCity.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free healthcare, free parking, close to downtown. When I say healthcare, I mean it - to this day, this was the best healthcare I've ever had and will likely ever have.

Cons

In 20 years, this was the worst place I ever had the displeasure of working. I use it as a cautionary tale for my team. Rampant nepotism and favoritism, an unskilled/inexperienced "management" staff, and a general acceptance for mediocracy while stifling creativity is a huge problem at CECITY. Employees are numbers, nothing more. No training, advancement, or mentorship because why would you, when you can just call a friend to become a head of a department, or a babysitter for example. The "creative" lead was the old groundskeeper/trucker/facility manager. The woman in charge of product management was a nurse. None of these skills transfer, yet no one seems to care and when you raised a hand you expect it to be slapped down.

While the best healthcare I've ever had existed, the worst work/life balance also existed. Odd hours and outside projects far past your job description muttle your role.

The cheapness and general inability to place a value on happiness or advancement actually befuddles me to this day - for example: When clients were in, they of course had the standard bagels and cream cheese for the meeting. When the meeting was over, they wouldn't give them to the employees, instead they FROZE THEM. That's how cheap they were. Save $5 worth of bagels at the expense of a perk. Furthering the perception of the company in Pittsburgh as CESweatshop.

The management staff and employees who have been there for a while are going to be there for a very long time because they frankly couldn't hold a job anywhere else that was actually respected.

Advice to Management

Unless you actually start understanding how to manage teams and be leaders, you should hold on to your position, you'll never find another place that finds you acceptable.

"Terrible place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Homestead, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Homestead, PA

Pros

Free Healthcare, free parking, nice location

Cons

No real vacation time, favoritism, very very stressful, unrealistic expectations, no work/life balance, incompetent and totally unqualified management.

Advice to Management

Quit

9. "Enjoy CeCity very much!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at CeCity.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free healthcare benefits, paid time off and easy commute/parking. Also they really let you explore new ideas and learn new technologies.

Cons

slightly limited vacation time, but nothing you can't work out if you work with management.

Advice to Management

I am satisfied with management, they are more than fair.

"Non Negotiable Employment Agreement"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Homestead, PA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Homestead, PA

I worked at CeCity.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice work atmosphere and tools

Cons

Draconian non-negotiable employment agreement. Asking for clarification concerning onerous clauses in the agreement results in non-communication and eventual termination while they put you on adminstrative leave for asking questions. One clause in the agreement involves your agreement to allow them to LOWER your pay at will.

Advice to Management

Your dishonorable actions sully the CECity brand and have the potentiality to do irrecoverable damage to your reputation among quality prospective employees