CeX Webuy Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Dudani

Pros
  • 15% off all CeX stores for staff discount and usually reserve items if you are desperate for it (in 13 reviews)

• Discount, No uniform, tattoos & piercings welcome (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • I was under 21 so earning minimum wage which at the time was (in 13 reviews)

• very little work/life balance as rotas were issued late (in 5 reviews)

1. "Being my first job i have had it was a great experience, and i got a lot out of it."

Former Employee - Supervisor in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Hayward, CA

I worked at CeX Webuy Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employees
    Freedom to be yourself
    Flexible hours
    Great experience
    You can learn a lot of programs from Xp-10
    Os Lion- Osx Sierra

Cons

Poor training
    Personally i went through 4 regional managers in 1 year either being fired or quitting
    High employee turn over

2. "Unorganized and Disconnected"

I worked at CeX Webuy Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel opportunities and lax dresscode

Cons

Poor pay, little to no benefits, disconnect between US and all other locations. No universal training so each store was different and each manager did things their own way, Lead to frequent merchandise issues and tons of customer service issues that staff were unable to solve due to tight return/exchange policy.

Advice to Management

Create a training team that goes through each region so testing and service are well rounded. Stop using ADP for insurance. They are a cheap solution that leads to subpar benefits. Keep in mind minimum wage is higher in other areas. $15/hr is great for some east coasters but west coast thats the minimum and makes managers cranky.

3. "It's a good start up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at CeX Webuy Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to move up
    Flexible schedules
    Company paid travels
    Customer service oriented

Cons

High staff turnover
    High work volume
    Resources can be low

"Great place to work if you're desperate with no other options I guess"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Berkeley, CA

I worked at CeX Webuy Entertainment (More than a year)

Pros

-A paycheck ( even if it's significantly less than you should be making for this line of work)
    -Staff discount of 15%
    -If your lucky some cool people to work with
    - Company will give you free chocolates or cheap sparkling wine ( non-vegetarian) for Christmas
    -Experience handling incredibly stressful situations which is sure to come in handy later on in life.
    - vision health and dental insurance provided your full-time worker at one of the enrollment periods.
     -Vacation days and sick days based on your hours

Cons

- very little training
    - getting promotions without getting raises or having the it be a 25- 50¢ bump
    - having a rotating staff of management because nobody will stay
    - being asked to do more than your pay level but not being compensated for it
    - being told to multitask even though we do not multitask, the correct terminology would be parallel tasking & when one dose parallel tasking each task the individual does they do at a lower competency level that if they were doing it by itself. It is not an effective use of time, and often leads to mistakes.
    - Being told to accomplish numerous things in the day when you don't have the staff, time or the resources available to do them, and then having uper management be upset that they're not done on time.
    - having to work with sexist and homophobic customers on a weekly basis
    -Having to deal with people who want to sell items that are wet with mysterious liquids, had used condoms shoved inside them, are covered in blood, or appears that they might've been stolen.
    - mentally ill people wandering around in the store for hours on end and not being able to get them to leave.
    -Constantly being given platitudes when you ask for help but nothing constructive
    - no cash bonuses or monetary rewards for hard work, instead pizzas are given out without any regard to dietary positions or restriction.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, pay your store managers a decent salary and understand that when someone is on salary they are not on call twenty four seven,they are still allowed to and expected to have lives of their own outside of work this is healthy and important. Offer actual incentives so that your level ones want to move up through the ranks to become managers, by incentives I don't mean additional hours. Random acts of appreciation given the high levels of stress of this job would also be a good tactic to use to better retain staff.

6. "The worst run company I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CeX Webuy Entertainment (More than a year)

Pros

People were the only real Pros , there were other small perks, No uniform, occasional free food.

Cons

Company has a great business model run so badly I fear they will shut down soon. Read all the other reviews on Glassdoor and you will see its not just me. There was about a 6 month period where it looked like it was going to turn around training was happening we were actually seeing area manager like 2 times a week and we were actually moving in a great direction, but the area manager and 4 store managers walked out (all our area store managers) on the same day. Red flag to corporate no just another example of apathy. The company knowingly breaks local rules and is now just mismanaged by inexperienced and woefully untrained managers. The new management is lost and the big boss in Seattle is absent or just doesn't care.Perfect and classic set up bosses are 6,000 miles away and this guy can say or do what ever he wants they don't know better and honestly probably could care less as well.

Advice to Management

Look to the constant issue and how does the director for the US market live in England? Saw him once in a year. for 10 minutes while he waited for our area manager. Get an LP manager in USA! and how long can you ignore the biggest issue you have? Six years is long enough isn't it?

"Crash Course in Disappointment"

Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Relaxed dress code. Opportunity to work with and learn about new gadgets.

Cons

Lack of communication. High demand for low pay. High stress environment. Little job security. Poor working conditions. Poor training programs.

Advice to Management

Improve communication with employees and upper management. Increase training support

"Poorly run"

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Berkeley, CA

Pros

Commute time to work was acceptable.
    Easy to get "ahead" of other employees when they don't know what a work ethic is.
    Eyes opened quick enough to not waste more time there than I did.

Cons

Items that are obviously stolen are bought and resold to others.
    Due diligence is not on the top of the list for employees or management.
    (Illegally) refuses to reimburse victims their money paid for clearly defective items bought (at least back then).

"Horrible company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at CeX Webuy Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met a lot of interesting and great people while working here. We all worked closely so we had a strong bond. Made for great teambuilding. It was a great job to work while I was in school. Sometimes I would look forward to working a closing shift on a saturday and going out for drinks with colleagues afterwards.

It definitely improved my customer service skills and social skills, which I'm very happy about.

Cons

Upper management does not care about their employees at all. You are expendable. It's a boy's club. If you don't drink the kool aid, they will have a vendetta against you.

Lack of work-life balance. We'd stay hours past our scheduled times to close up shop because we were constantly shortsaffed and did not receive help from upper management/corporate.

Upper management would come in and belittle us and tell us everything we were doing wrong. It did more harm than good. It was demoralizing. It made a lot of people bitter and resentful. There was a HUGE disconnect between how day-to-day operations went in store vs. how management thought things should have been run. They never seemed to listen to what we felt would be best.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at CeX Webuy Entertainment (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people doing the best they can with their unfortunate circumstances

Cons

Horrible workplace conditions, poor support and upper management

Advice to Management

Close your US business

11. "Not Perfect, But What Is?"

Pros

Creative atmosphere with truly immersive ways to develop yourself and others around you, no matter the position.

Cons

Stressful environment (as most retail possesses already) due to lack of structure amongst the sometimes countless amount of tasks you're asked to do in a [mostly] ridiculous amount of time which can, in turn, create a devastating snowball effect in all aspects of the job.

Advice to Management

Well planned and prompt communication cannot be stressed enough.