Cedar Sinai Park Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"I loved this place"

Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Portland, OR

I worked at Cedar Sinai Park part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The residents are amazing, the staff is truly caring. I had a wonderful experience working at Rose Schnitzer Manor, the independent and assisted living part of the campus. I learned so much about working with elders. My co-workers (99% of them) were so great. Many staff members have been there for years and have moved up through the ranks. The workplace is mostly kind and respectful. Residents are treated very well.

Cons

Because it's a non-profit there is lower than average pay

Advice to Management

Find a way to reward the high performing staff and just get rid of the few bad apples. Board of directors, and development staff: be more engaged with the front line staff....

2. "Experiencing Difficult Times"

I worked at Cedar Sinai Park full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and residents. Beautiful new building.

Cons

Cutting many positions to save money so everyone is doing more without more resources. Seems to be in a troubled period right now.

"CSP"

I have been working at Cedar Sinai Park full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The CEO genuinely cares about people. He has meetings with small groups of employees so everyone is heard. Even came to thank us all on Thanksgiving. It is nice to see he is willing to work holidays like we do. You never saw the previous CEO. This one is always talking to us and residents. He is very involved.
    It is very nice to work with the same group.

Cons

It would be nice if the rest of management followed the CEO’s lead. The administrator could come during holidays or weekends to thank us. he doesn’t say hello to you when he walks by. A real sour puss who does not care. Any problem told to him is ignored.
    The new chef treats staff like they are garbage. He speaks about residents in very degrading manners.

Advice to Management

Pay some attention to how the bad seeds treat people and get rid of them.

"The caring shows"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cedar Sinai Park full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

These are some of the best people I have ever worked with. The nursing staff really cares about the patients and the residents. The senior management team has made a huge effort to show their appreciation and for the first time I feel like I know what is going on in the company. The last CEO kept things secret and this CEO seems to want people to be involved in growing the company. He puts a lot of effort into making the employees and the residents feel like they are being heard.

Cons

The CEO has told us that we are working our way out of deficit so times are tight. I think people need to stop complaining. It's so irritating to see the same people who complain not work hard either. It would be better for everyone to use their energy to pull together or to the constant complainers - just go find another job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The loyal employees know you are trying and we appreciate you.

"CSP"

I have been working at Cedar Sinai Park full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management seems to really be focused on the organizations mission and the staff seem to have a real passion for the work they do. They are very fair to employees and promote growth within the organization.

Cons

There has been a lot of turnover and smaller things that have fallen through the cracks seem to be resurfacing.

Advice to Management

Keep showing appreciation to all of the great staff who work together to serve our aging community.

"Do not work here-you will regret it!"

I worked at Cedar Sinai Park full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The residents and some of the staff

Cons

The company is in a downward spiral. They keep firing and laying off employees to save money but this has resulted in lower quality of care of residents and poor treatment of employees. They also want employees to donate out of their paychecks to help with the growing deficit. The executives constantly lie and manipulate. Employee labor laws are disregarded, manager retaliation is common and bullying is rampant. An entire department gave their notice in a manner of a week and yet this didn’t jolt management into seeing how the negative culture is driving out quality employees.

Advice to Management

Fix the culture starting with the sexist executives that bully their employees. The CEO needs to stop putting his head down when employees try tell him what execs are doing (he will tell you to speak to hr) and not allowing managers to retaliate when valid concerns are then brought to HR.

"When will they figure it out?"

I worked at Cedar Sinai Park full-time

Pros

There are some staff who have worked there for a decade or more and are so dedicated to the wonderful, warm residents.
    Time interacting with the residents and patients was rewarding.

Cons

I've watched CSP flop and flounder since I started, during my tenure, and after I left. How long do you give an organization to dig themselves out of a hole they created? It's a revolving door at the top, three CEO's in five years, and other top leadership coming on with big paychecks while loyal staff go without pay raises and bonuses. They don't support career growth, but instead promote people in desperation to fill holes, without any training that leads to their success. Leadership has created a toxic atmosphere of mistrust, gossip, personal petty behavior. It's a shame - the organization has a long and admirable history and is centered around beautiful faith-based values that put resident and patient care at the center. But this place has gone from bad to worse to on fire. I hope the residents don't suffer.

Advice to Management

If you are seeking a job, look elsewhere. This industry is booming and the job market is competitive. You can do better.

Management, look at who you are trusting to lead the way out of this hole. Change has to start at the top. Listen to your staff, from the bottom up, and reexamine who is holding the keys to this mess.

"Sinking Ship"

I worked at Cedar Sinai Park full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The residents that live there.
    Most of the staff members.

Cons

Not a company you want to work for.
    They had 10 to 15 people either get fired, quit or laid off in the last 3 months, that alone should tell you something about this company.
    Company gets thousands upon thousands of dollars to buy outdoor water features, new kitchen appliances (they don't need) and a 20,000 dollar rug for the front lobby ,but won't get donations to get themselves out of debt. I Could go on and on, but most of the negative reviews here tell it all. The positive ones are false and are asked to be written by upper management. If you do work there don't expect a raise for next few years .

Advice to Management

Start caring about the resident and staff member needs.

"You Are Better Off Somewhere Else"

Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Life Enrichment Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Cedar Sinai Park full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The residents are a group of truly incredible people.

Cons

New employees are paid more and given better titles and are treated better than employees who have stayed loyal to the company for years. The resources and tools to do a good job are not given to you. One administrator will never reply to calls or emails and will instead hide from staff. The other administrator delegates everything to other people and doesn't do anything themselves. Both administrators don't spend any time getting to know the people who work or live there.
    Both administrators don't understand the departments or jobs and make cuts to staff while expecting the same results and same programs for residents with zero support.

Advice to Management

Start treating the staff with some respect.

"In the midst of an extreme budget crisis. Patients are viewed as dollar signs."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Cedar Sinai Park full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful, kind patients and many warm and wonderful employees work as medical staff and in social services.

Cons

Executives tell us explicitly that their only priority is saving money, at the expense of the welfare of patients and employees. Administration knowingly misinforms family members about our staff to patient ratios. Patients are unsafe due to our constricted budget. Patients requiring one-on-one care don’t receive it because the facility admits that every penny counts and it’s more important not to risk losing money than it is not to risk losing a patient’s life. $$ before people should be their motto!

Advice to Management

Try to care even slightly about the patients and staff members and how your extreme budgetary crisis effects them and the reputation and legacy of this institution.

Cedar Sinai Park Response

Oct 29, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Hi, this is Marty B, the CEO. I am sorry for your experience and would appreciate the opportunity to talk with you about it. The view you were left with is counter to everything we stand for. As a... More