Cedar Sinai Park Reviews | Glassdoor

Martin Baicker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place Overall"

I have been working at Cedar Sinai Park full-time

Pros

Great residents, management knows your name, lots of good team work

Cons

Disorganized, no communication to floor staff, no follow through to fix problems

2. "Culinary Services"

I worked at Cedar Sinai Park full-time

Pros

The residents and their life stories are incredible. The team is great to work with. Management in other departments are very friendly and make a point to say hello.

Cons

The management in culinary services is terrible and nonexistant. They offer no support and every one is gone by 2:00pm while everyone else works to pick up the slack. The executive chefs are never seen and you can forget about them lending a hand. If we were short staffed they did not care and went home.

Advice to Management

3 stars due to the culinary managment. Get some serious training for them or clean house and start over in the department.
    Everything else is good and goes well.

3. "Unprofessional and Uncaring"

I worked at Cedar Sinai Park full-time

Pros

The residents. Beautiful people who deserve better.

Cons

The leaders. They are self serving and love to put people down, even those they work for. I've never been around such a disgraceful group of people.

Advice to Management

None, they don't care anyway. I saw some very inappropriate behavior and they cover up for each other. The CEO is a very angry person, they seem to feed off him.

"Community Life Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

strong support from the faith specific community, new buildings opening soon, location to businesses in community, beautiful location/grounds

Cons

high turnover, inconsistent hiring style, scattered focus by staff, limited opportunity for advancement/training

Advice to Management

develop a strong well matched team with different strengths who are able to focus on the outcome and agree on the goals established

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Cedar Sinai Park full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great dept. directors. Benefits were good for a non-profit. Great training.

Cons

Exec. Team are mostly from corporate America and their behavior shows it. I bet half of them couldn't tell you the mission statement. Exec. salaries and perks were outrageous.

Advice to Management

It wouldn't matter...they think they have all the answers.

"CNA"

I worked at Cedar Sinai Park full-time

Pros

The residents and some co workers are great to be around. The Work load allows you extra time with residents. Co workers usually work well with each other. A good spirit of team work exists.

Cons

Was subjected to abuse by supervisor and charge nurse. Openly bragged about being able to influence managements opinion of CNA's. Charge Nurse openly spoke out again LGBT's we were forced to participate in prayer, not related to the Jewish faith or custom. Certain charge nurse abuse staff and residence. Staffing coordinator helped cover up and ignore several HR violations.

Advice to Management

When more then one employee (CNA) comes forward with harassment claims, please take it seriously.

"Residents and a few co-workers are the only part of my job I looked forward to."

Former Employee - Server in Portland, OR

Pros

Most of the residents are pleasant and I truly enjoyed helping and getting a chance to know them. I found it fulfilling to know that I could improve their lives by taking a bit of extra time to show them I cared about how they were doing. I also enjoyed working with many of my co-workers, especially those who were actually concerned with providing residents with a high quality of care.

Cons

It's been a couple years since I worked at Cedar Sinai, but when I was there group leaders spent a large amount of time gossiping about co-workers and looked down on those who refused to join in. Many co-workers who speak the same same foreign language will talk badly about other co-workers who aren't fluent in that language while that person present, even though company policy was created to stop this from happening. This issue has persisted for years. There's also an imbalance between the effort different employees put into their work, more so than other places I have worked. When management noticed that some employees had what looked like too much "free time", they decided to eliminate some of the positions, and increase the amount of work required for the kitchen positions. They did this even after being notified that the employees they thought had too much "free time" were simply not completing their work or leaving it unfinished, leaving it for the harder-working employees to try to complete. Furthermore, servers are discouraged from spending any extra time providing good customer service. I was reprimanded quite a few times by the dining room managers because I kept saying "hello" and sometimes even asked residents how they were doing when I first approached a table of people to take orders. Although this only took a few extra seconds, they demanded that I ask "What do you want?" as soon as I approached a table of residents to take their orders, and move on if they couldn't answer the question immediately. Some residents occasionally needed some help reading the menu or wanted to know what was in a specific dish, but I was told not to "waste my time" on what they regarded as "useless niceties." Lastly, the schedule is posted no more than a week in advance and can change at any time, without notice. If the schedule is changed after the last time you worked a shift, you have to call in to find out. If you don't call in at the right time to find out about the change, and therefore, don't show up for the shift you didn't know you were scheduled for, then they will write you up or will terminate you. Though, being terminated doesn't necessarily mean they won't hire you back. I saw them hire a couple people back just during the time I worked there. I'm guessing they reconsidered after realizing just how much turnover there is with their kitchen staff.

Advice to Management

Be active in discouraging gossiping, and don't promote employees who gossip the most. Instead, acknowledge and reward the most hard-working employees. If an employee stays with your company for an extended period of time, that doesn't in itself mean they deserve a promotion. Care about customer service. Make sure to notify all employees if any last minute schedule changes are needed. Preferably, ask them if they're able to work that shift before you change their schedule at the last minute.

"A decent experience"

Former Employee - Server in Portland, OR

I worked at Cedar Sinai Park full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talking and interacting with the residents can be great. People who do not enjoy the presence of the elderly shouldn't work here. For anyone else, it's the best part of the job. Managers are mostly good people.

Cons

Dry, bureaucratic. Managers not interested in change. Not a lot of encouragement to improve one's skills/ get promoted.

Advice to Management

Encourage ideas from all employees. Even low-level employees can give valuable input, and they often have a different perspective, can can see aspects of the job and culture that managers/ supervisors may be blind to.

"Poor Pay. Promised Raises are really Empty Promises."

Current Employee - Server in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Server in Portland, OR

Pros

Sick time off granted.
    Other parts of company okay from what I hear.

Cons

Unsanitary
    Management doesn't really care about quality/cleanliness of food and food utensils.

Advice to Management

Care more about the product. Respect employees so they do care more.