Celadon Trucking Services Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Paul Will

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay with little room to advance, regardless of experience or potential (in 7 reviews)

• s start with management; if a driver has a problem with their DM or planners the driver has no access to upper management (in 7 reviews)

1. "Truck driver"

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver

I worked at Celadon Trucking Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to work with and stable work assignments

Cons

Keep me low milage run trips unable to make 2000 milage a week working OTR and if you never been on Canadá here you Will see and drive on Canadá freeways with french language Signs. Good luck.

Advice to Management

OTR Drivers would benefit on long trip while local or regionals would benefit short hauling

2. "Young leadership and innovation is a double edged sword"

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time

Pros

Because of the younger more tech savvy leadership they have a very good flexible approach to innovation

Cons

young leadership also means that people aren't vacating higher level positions, thus you really have to be somewhat aggressive and ask for opportunities to prove your worthiness of any form of promotion.

3. "Okay for experience to start out."

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent experience and enjoy being around my coworkers.

Cons

Little room for advancement. Raises are very poor. Health benefits could be much better. Management is out of touch. Expectations continually grow, learn more, do more, work longer hours, etc. - but compensation does not.

4. "Training program is outstanding."

Current Employee - Driver in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Driver in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time

Pros

Mile are extremely good,and home every week.

Cons

Pay could be better,insurance is why to high.

Advice to Management

Great team to work for in McCarthy

5. "Assistant Customer Service Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager

I worked at Celadon Trucking Services (More than a year)

Pros

I learned to not trust management.

Cons

Untrustworthy management. They are not honest with their drivers or with the people trying to support them. If there was a negative star I would give them I would. Pay is sub par and overall the upper management is as well.

"Praying for everyone who still works there to be able to escape soon"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Celadon Trucking Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a medical facility on site

Cons

Untrustworthy management
    Will pay you a "salary" so they don't have to pay you for all the extra hours
    Terribly expensive benefits that will cost you a good chuck of your paycheck
    No one knows how to handle a problem/crisis
    They really like to put 'bandaids' on problems instead of fixing the problem and preventing it from being a problem in the future
    Turnover is so high that no one actually knows how to do the job when someone leaves
    I honestly have advised people to not work here. I would not let any family or friends work here.

Advice to Management

Employee appreciation will go a long way. Make rules and then actually follow your own rules.

7. "Driver Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

I rerally have not found a downside

"Definitely an "entry level" place"

I worked at Celadon Trucking Services full-time

Pros

Lots of young, fun people. Nice Christmas Party, nice Summer Events

Easy to get hired

Cons

Celadon loves hiring Directors and VP's but pay the average employee terribly. Rarely promote from within, and lots of the managers are incompetent. My manager lucked into his position and at this point I think he's still around because its too hard to fire him. No organization, no professionalism. This is a place you work for as short of time as you can until you land a better job, which is why the turnover is so high.

If you have a position here that interacts with the drivers, be prepared to have them in your face and yelling profanities at you. I cant count the number of times I had a driver yell at me, cuss at me, or get in my face. Since Celadon has an "open door" policy, drivers can come to your desk at any time. Since Celadon is "driver first," you will be the one who gets in trouble if you lose your cool with a driver who is screaming at you.

Make sure you look into the insurance before accepting any offers. When you take into account the price and quality of the insurance, it's likely you can find a better opportunity somewhere else

Advice to Management

Cut back on the amount of VPs you hire and appreciate the "entry-level" people who are doing all the work

"good company"

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time

Pros

good company there driver training is excellent

Cons

i have not encountered any cons so far

"The company should be named Cela-don't."

Current Employee - Company Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great school experience with the company. There were, don't know if there still are, good trainers as long as you head their advice and guidance, the communication there was great compared to it once you are a company driver.

Cons

They preach to us about staying in communication, but don't return the effort. There are too many hands in the pot for them to be able to get anything done in a timely manner therefore, cutting into drivers clocks and pockets. They evidently have raised the pay rate, but still don't get you enough miles for it to make a difference on the paycheck. They don't care about the drivers as people, we are just a number/robot. When dealing with the office people, dispatch, csr, planners, etc, none of them know what the next one is doing so you constantly have to repeat yourself when calling in, after shift change, between departments etc. If you're broke down, plan on being down for at least a week unless you do recovery.

Advice to Management

Treat you drivers like people, work on your office staff's time management and communication!