Celadon Trucking Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paul Will

Pros
  • Lots of good people who work there (in 7 reviews)

• The company is growing at an incredible rate which offers much room for promotion (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay with little room to advance, regardless of experience or potential (in 7 reviews)

• If you are in good with upper management you will see advancement (in 5 reviews)

1. "Horrible upkeep"

Current Employee - Team Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Team Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay pretty good, kept us rolling. Good DMs. They have a pretty good cafeteria. Trucks come with a fridge. Easy to request hometime anywhere.

Cons

You can fuel ONLY where they activate your card to work. Most work on the truck MUST be done at the yard. Shop runs ONLY 7AM-10PM weekdays. Shop disregards drivers that know whats wrong with the truck. Refused to do a PM early. Original yard is littered with garbage and out of sevice vehicles and trailers. Only one washing machine and two dryers, washing machine almost always out of order. Trucks are NOT well maintained. I came in to get my ELog replaced and got my truck back with no interior lights and my fridge out. No break down pay.

Advice to Management

Maintain your property! Open the shop on weekends and get the simple stuff out of the yard sooner!

2. "Company Driver"

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time

Pros

Some new trucks, Cash Advance when you need it

Cons

Not enough freight for miles, DM's on the weekend not doing their jobs, No compensation for no freight, zip code to zip code instead of cpm.

Advice to Management

Driver's will continue to leave if they don't start paying better and getting more miles per week. Can't live off $600 to $700 dollars a week if you have a family.

3. "Went to there training aint get it at first but they worked with me until i got it"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Celadon Trucking Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training companies will take you quick when you say that you was trained there

Cons

Have to team drive when you get out of school for six months but if you was trained there they will always take you back

Advice to Management

Be more understanding when a team is not compatible

5. "Operations Analyst"

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time

Pros

Good pay and nice schedule

Cons

not enough training to prepare employees to work by themselves

Advice to Management

put more training in to help retention.

6. "manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are great to work with

Cons

Pay,no raises and not very good benefits

Advice to Management

Get better benefits/insurance and give raises

7. "Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Administrative Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Administrative Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Celadon Trucking Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great, but it does not help out weigh the bad.
    Basketball court, cafeteria, and workout classes are nice

Cons

Management is inexperienced and is chosen based on the school you graduated from
    Benefits are terrible even in the industry Celadon is in
    Pay is also very low compared to competitors
    Performance reviews are minimal and do not come with pay raises
    Communication is horrible on all levels

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and promote the right person for management positions.
    Communicate to your employees more about everything
    Stop making rash business decisions that turn bad in a year or less (tons of layoffs due to poor decisions)

8. "Fun atmosphere"

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time

Pros

At the logistics building it's very laid back. Decent base plus good opportunity for large commission. Ping and beer Friday

Cons

Some micro management and very time sensitive but that just comes with the industry

Advice to Management

Don't shoot from the hip and develop a strong plan before making major changes

9. "Celadon CDL school in Laredo, TX"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laredo, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laredo, TX

Pros

NONE, This place is nothing but a racket, stop stealing from the government and exploited desperate people you amoral unscrupulous ......won't even refer to you as a company, more like a cess pool. SHAME ON YOU!

Cons

Exploitation of good people, trying to make positive changes in their lives.

Advice to Management

Recruiters know they are lying to these people.....how do you sleep at night? If you saw it first hand as I did.....believe me if your anything close to human you wouldn't!

"Gleason trucking"

Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Lots of loads going to Texas, warm weather

Cons

Dispatcher can make things really difficult for drivers if they don't like you

Advice to Management

Give exit review to find out problems

11. "Does not give a DAMN about their drivers"

Former Employee - Company Driver OTR in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Company Driver OTR in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Celadon Trucking Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Miles, I was new to truck driving and always was able to drive my legal clock every day.

Cons

Pay, it would not be a surprise to find if they are actually were the lowest for company drivers in the entire industry. Overall for the hours I actually clocked for driving plus on duty I only made about $10 per hour. Specifically they started me out at .25cpm for my training month then never raised me much above that. To make that worse I clocked nearly 30K miles on their truck but was only paid for 20K of them, and I stuck to their planned fuel stops and never went home.

Finally, company communication is very poor overall and not just between me and my driver manager. I often found myself lost in abbreviated Qualcomm messages and when I sent messages or made a phone call I did not get a reply, on hold too long, or even hung up on.

Advice to Management

Improve on your company's communication in all areas and work on providing professional communication between drivers and driver managers. Example: Qualcom messages are abbreviated and unclear so I would make a phone to call to my driver manager to avoid confusion, but often it did not. Hold times were lengthy and I was often hung up on especially during their quitting time or on weekends. Now I consider myself to be very professional in providing great customer service but I have NEVER been in any situation where I felt like I was working for a company that just did not give a damn about me. My driver manager often talked down to me when I was only reaching out for help in a new or sticky situation.

As for the Celadon Driving Academy Thank God that I got my CDL on my own. Their trainers were good and had good direction, but the truck/trainer to student ratio is too high to teach this demanding and dangerous profession. Finally the students are not well managed in areas of conduct on and off of the training areas including the dorm and hotel.

Looking back I think First You Burn then You Learn should have been on the job description.