Celadon Trucking Services "good people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Celadon Trucking Services Employee Reviews about "good people"

Updated 17 May 2018

2.9
Celadon Trucking Services CEO Paul Svindland (no image)
Paul Svindland
Pros
  • "Decent Dispatch but all calls go through a single 800 number(in 10 reviews)

• "Laid back type atmosphere at work(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "As usual, the "dispatchers" are all totally clueless teenage girls and not ex drivers(in 12 reviews)

• "Low pay and almost no vacation time(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "good people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Driver Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

I rerally have not found a downside

Celadon Trucking Services2017-08-02

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Celadon Trucking Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Worked with some very good people.

Cons

It's about who you know and who you are related to. Some of the upper management are outright dishonest and force the department to adhere to their line of thinking or they are disposed of. They treat employees like they are easily replaceable and could lose their job at any given time.

Advice to Management

Loyalty has to be earned by the way you treat your employees. Transforming your business isn’t easy. You can’t do it alone. Without the cumulative drive of a dedicated team, your business won’t last long.

Celadon Trucking Services2018-05-17
  3. "Much Room to Improve"

in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Celadon Trucking Services for more than a year

Pros

Good people, and I see potential to improve as a company. I've heard that there company is a little better since I left.

Cons

Low appreciation for employees Some of the management is very demeaning and distanced Most promises are not kept and everything is secretive Main building feels like a warehouse Layoffs

Advice to Management

Start being honest with your company and care about the people who keep you running!

Celadon Trucking Services2016-11-17

"Company truck driver"

Current Employee - Company Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relatively cheap school, weekly pay. School has full basketball court and gym. Majority of instructors are knowledgeable and good people.

Cons

Chasing trailers destroys driver pay, complacent DMs and planners. Low pay per mile. Cannot get loads or trailers out of national headquarters.

Advice to Management

Actually use tools at your disposal. Use the GPS on trailers so you know where they are and the cameras to know if they are empty or not.

Celadon Trucking Services2016-11-10
  5. "Operations Analyst"

I worked at Celadon Trucking Services

Pros

Great hours, decent pay. Lots of good people who work there.

Cons

Expect way too much out of employees, massive layoffs, Operations Managers are in a "fraternity" if you aren't in it you have no chance to advance. Expected to work from home a great deal of time.

Advice to Management

Hold your self accountable more.

Celadon Trucking Services2016-01-14
  6. "No raises"

Current Employee - Cycle Counter in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people..even in upper management... Unfortunately they promote and hand out responsibility... Just don't give raise to go along with it.

Cons

Again they do take notice of a good work ethic. Unfortunately you will not see the raise that should come with the work ethic.

Advice to Management

If you are going to notice good work and promote... Then give the raise to go with it.

Celadon Trucking Services2015-09-25
  7. "EMF / Forklift operator"

Former Employee - Indiana in Columbus, IN

I worked at Celadon Trucking Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people with family values

Cons

Management tells promises one thing but doesnt follow thru

Advice to Management

Follow thru on promises

Celadon Trucking Services2015-08-03
  8. "Only as a plan B"

AR Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Celadon Trucking Services

Pros

Business trips to Canada, coworkers are good people

Cons

My department's management was too 'old school.' They did not offer the three minority employees eligibility for the bonus program. Predjudice.... Manager and director didnt even know how to use Excel effectively and discouraged technology use as a whole. Difficult to work with on a day to day basis.Acquisitions are done backwards- makes receivables almost impossible. Bad decisions are not corrected, just... bandaided.

Advice to Management

Retire. Staying is a detriment to your employees and company

Celadon Trucking Services2015-03-27

"HQ Open Secrets"

Current Employee - Local Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Celadon Trucking Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits package is actually pretty good. Some of the departments don't have to deal with the bad things, so if you can get into departments up stairs (finance, payroll, etc.) or one of the subsidiaries like logistics. The job is actually pretty good. This company used to be one of the best companies in Indiana to work for, former CEO/Owner Steve Russell is still a bright spot in the company, it is... unfortunate his teachings weren't followed by the new executive team. If a person comes from Frankfort college you can do well in this company, a vast majority of our VP's came from Frankfort college. Mind you they were all roommates, frat buddies, and family members of our Chief level executives, but if you come from franklin you may make VP in a year or two. (Great resume filler!!!) The IT department, Logistics department, and Intermodal department are all quite excellent and pleasures to work with. There are a lot of good people that work here, unfortunately, few are ever advanced.

Cons

Nothing I am about to say is a secret, just ask a few employees at the HQ in any of the operations or customer service departments about what it is like to work there anytime in the last year or so and they will tell you the same. The expectation that you should, on a salary, work 60+ hours at work and then work from home, and any questioning of any of the changes that occur pretty much bi-weekly will result in... being black balled. A common thing said to people who are leaving an hour or two late is "So your leaving early today?" Breaks are non existent, and lunches are expected to be taken at your desk working. Pay is sub par for the industry, and even more so for experience. The company does not value experience or stability in the least bit; One will not see a good raise… ever. 1-2% if you are lucky. People who leave see large pay increases, people who join celadon take massive pay cuts. The vast majority of the VP level executives had zero- two years of experience before becoming a VP. I mean any experience not experience at the executive level. Furthermore, most of them had Zero experience in the field they became VP's in. Accountants became heads of operations for entire countries, people with just a couple years of banking experience became heads of entire operational divisions, etc. all because the were friends with one of the chief executives or family members with chief executives. This shows very frequently, They make changes at a whim and hide these changes from people until the last second: people wast weeks working on projects only to find out they have been wasting their time, the entire group was scrapped, vast swaths of drivers are hired only to be fired weeks later; in my area 12 people were hired and 3 weeks later we were told we were downsizing and we needed to get rid of 12 people; and supposedly in a month we will lose another 12-15. There is little to no planning on how to do anything: Simple operational questions are not asked before plans are handed down and expected to be followed to the letter. In one of the areas I ran, we moved 90+ trailers into a yard that we were renting space in, without any plan on how to get these trailers out (they were specialized trailers, and could not run on 99% of our loads), furthermore the simplest question possible… how many spaces we had on the yard was not asked. Due to this we were fined $15,000.00 for a single day from that one yard. We ended up having to run trucks hundreds of miles out of route to make 70+ runs that we were losing money on to alleviate the issue; this took us over a month. This one mistake probably cost celadon well over $250,000.00. Which explains why pay raises are a taboo subject. (on a side note, the moment I heard about this I said we couldn't do this, and I was taken into a managers office and actually reprimanded, I tried to give them options of other plans, and I was told in no uncertain terms that it would be done the way the person who came up with the idea wanted. Once the bills started coming in, I was pulled back into the managers office to be reprimanded for not giving them a solution to this issue.) Now I cannot speak for the whole of the company, there are departments that are not like this, but a large number of employees have to deal with these conditions. A very large number of people working here are actively seeking new jobs. I would say easily 70%+ of the people in the biggest departments are actively searching for new jobs, some people are actually looking at jobs that pay less, just to get out of here. It is pretty bad. Be prepared to watch the friends and family members plan in action, unless you are a friend or family member of someone VP level or above getting a promotion will be very difficult. While newly hired, brother in laws, friends, cousins, college roommates are hired given a higher starting wage, and then promoted within months of starting. There is no training most of the time and when they do give you training it is incredibly sub par. They generally just throw people into positions and expect them to succeed and then come out and give them a hard time while they are still learning; asking why the new person has not completed some task or another that they were never told, or just told in passing that they had to have done, without any instruction on how to do it. This used to be one of the best places in Indiana to work, which is no longer the truth. I hope things return to the way they were, from the people who have worked there a while, it sounds like a much better place to work. They have pushed employees to throw their badges down in disgust and cuss out the entire management team on their way out over the way they are treated… this is now a common occurrence!

Advice to Management

They sent out a survey and then promptly ignored it because they didn't like what it said. However, you should take a look at that Survey again, and read what people wrote. The majority of people at HQ in operations/customer service/a few other areas so small I don't want to mention are all looking for jobs outside of Celadon because of how bad it has gotten. I know most of the people who work in operations and... customer service and planning and a lot of other areas, and it is not good across the board. Stop the nepotism, stop hiring or promoting your friends and family to senior level positions when they have no experience to do it. It damages not only the reputation of the company, the way the company runs, and the lives of the people that work for them, but it cuts into the profit margin with all the rework and fools errands that these people, who mostly aren't bad people just inexperienced and don't know any better, cause the people working for them to do. Also when people give their 2 weeks notice, it is incredibly poor form to send someone to watch over them as they clean out their desk. You are already not letting them work the two weeks, which they offered to do, giving you the respect of the warning; but, to go one step further and stand watching over their shoulder, and then basically throwing them out the door. It doesn't just do the person leaving a disservice, it insults us all. Finally, there is a reason that the overwhelming majority of people have minimum years of experience for executives, managers, and directors. This is so that they have made the mistakes and learned from them while they were at a lower level. Also, stop making people directors/managers/executives of areas they have never worked in, customer service people with degrees in economics and experience in banking should not run operations, non finance people shouldn't run finance, and accountants without foreign language skills shouldn't run entire foreign county's operations for the company. Doing this is costing Celadon not only reputation, but money. It is an open secret among the entire HQ, even our customers know about it. It is an embarrassment.

Celadon Trucking Services2014-03-07