Celebrity Cruises Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Michael Bayley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long long hours, you never get to leave (in 15 reviews)

• That's a bit too long to be away from home, from "real life on land" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Incredible Company and CO Team!"

Former Employee - Blended Service Agent in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Blended Service Agent in Miami, FL

I worked at Celebrity Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team Mentality, good incentives $$, realistic sales goals, Great Benefits, company laptop, upper management does a good job showing their employees are valued. Great Training staff, OT when available during wave. Really easy to move up in the company from here.

Cons

website caused a lot of customer frustration, Wave can get very intense with non-stop back to back calls.

Advice to Management

Always keep an open door policy and make sure suggestions made by the team are brain stormed together. if multiple people see room for improvement maybe its time for a change. The team is more like a family and that starts with upper management.

2. "The Best of the best and the worst of the worst."

I worked at Celebrity Cruises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with five of the best Cruise Directors Celebrity has to offer. Two of them I would come back to Celebrity just be able to work with them again. The Celebrity brand is important to each crew member and understands the concept.

Cons

I have worked with two of the worst Cruise directors Celebrity has to offer. One of them has been let ago while the other still is employed. I endured verbal and mental abuse from both. Neither were aware of the brand Celebrity upholds.

Advice to Management

The management of the entertainment department needs to look at crew reviews. They needs to make sure that crew members are treated with respect and as human beings.

3. "bartender"

Former Employee - Bartender in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Bartender in Miami, FL

I worked at Celebrity Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the best company I ever work so far, nice management, I had a great time onboard lot of people from all around the world to meet(the crew), but sometimes people are completely jerks (the passengers) and no matter what you haver to keep a smile in your face, even if they are rude, racist or just stupid, and trust me, working this industry for 14 years and no matter what people sometimes abuse.

Cons

rude passengers but ships life.

Advice to Management

Good management.

4. "Good place"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Celebrity Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vibrant , fast and they try to be very inclusive .

Cons

Personal
    Interests are what. I've the company.

Advice to Management

Do not run a company based in personal interests please...

5. "No Title"

Current Employee - Casino Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Casino Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Celebrity Cruises full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company overall, take pride in treating their staff very well, driven company always seeking ways to improve.

Cons

Working on a ship can sometimes be tough with the rules and regulations which makes it a bit of a con.

6. "Beware of taking up cruising as a job."

Former Employee - Stage and Production Manager
    Former Employee - Stage and Production Manager

I worked at Celebrity Cruises full-time

Pros

Seeing the world, good pay when onboard, meeting new people, networking

Cons

Time away from home and family, micro-managing supervisors and senior officers, very much like the military in some respects (though for many this might be more of a pro), 24-hour blood alcohol limit (in case there are emergencies on the ship), contract scheduling can be awful (two months off may be cut short if another employee quits, gets fired, or misses the ship--but it can also go longer, leaving you without pay for months at a time if you can't find short-term work at home)

Advice to Management

Communication. It is overwhelming how many different answers one can get on the same subject across onboard and shoreside departments. Which makes doing your job difficult--no matter what you decide to do, you'll get in trouble with someone. Wreaks havoc on your team morale (which is already fragile being away from families, friends, and support systems).

7. "Best Company on the face of the earth."

I worked at Celebrity Cruises (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership. Awesome work environment. Great co workers.

Cons

They moved too far.

8. "Customer Service Representative"

Pros

Great Insurance plans to choose from

Cons

To many chiefs not enough indians

9. "i dread going back"

I have been working at Celebrity Cruises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

seeing the places i would not have had the chance to see- if i am allowed off the ship...

(on more than one occasion the gods that be, the almighty, all powerful staff captain, decide that no crew is allowed to go ashore for some reason - one time we landed in a US port and no culinary team members were allowed to go ashore- the reason given was that some Jamaicans got caught smuggling and now everyone is being punished - WTF , it makes no logical sense, but that is the order of the staff captain so it is written - )

Cons

the micro, petty, im the boss and ill papplito you if you even look at me sideways attitude of ship management - for sure the daily management is of the old school, but its mostly unspoken, and for sure lots of things are covered up - managers are me first, and CYA attitude - age, race, gender discrimination is the way it is - though they'll say it aint so - bs, reality is reality - try being a white woman aged 50 - u will have a very tough time

i recommend if you really need the job, then stick to your countrymen and keep a low profile, yes sir boss kind of a thing

Advice to Management

change the attitude of the worker to management ideology. have a few relief workers and give some days off, improve your HACCP planing in equipment and rethink the work, supplies and level of training needed to realize your visions - but that wont happen, better to work for another up and coming cruise line -

10. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Miami, FL

I worked at Celebrity Cruises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits offered only after six months. Free cruising after one year.

Cons

No work/life balance. Expectations of long hours. No advancement opportunities unless you play the game of being a favorite. The office environment is very much like high school.

Advice to Management

Learn to establish trust with your employees and allow for a work/life balance.