Celestix Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Yong Thye Lin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "OK Company with good new technology and a good European style work/life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Celestix Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offer everything a larger company would offer, salaries are fair , benefits are fine. Work/Private life balance very good. No pressure

Cons

Got a moment when business was difficult, new products weren't generating enough revenue, old products were falling. Now I'm hearing they are picking up speed.

Advice to Management

Continue with innovation

"*Warning* Steer clear of working for or with Celestix Networks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Celestix Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Provide services for a solution that very few organizations still use because they have been EOS/EOL by the manufacturer.

Cons

Immoral and illegal practices. Executive team has no relevant background but simply bought way into organization. Very frequent revolving door of sales teams from VP level all the way down in spite of exceeding all (highly inflated) targets. Company arbitrarily chooses what deals to pay or not pay employees on saying previous team initiated opportunity and therefore never has to pay salespeople on any of the opportunities they build in the pipeline or close. Company has no internal engineering resources… completely outsourced. Company does not pay any of its bills on time, waits until the last minute to do so or finds reasons not to. Employment contracts are written very ambiguously and in broken english… they choose which pieces of the contract to honor or not.

Advice to Management

Go take some lessons from a real world CEO or executive team on how to operate a business. Don't make promises to employees, whether verbal or written, that you will not keep. Pay your employees and vendors correctly and maybe your organization will have a chance at survival.

"The Bruce Willis of Network Security Companies"

I have been working at Celestix Networks full-time

Pros

They say that the Chinese characters Wei and Ji mean "Crisis" and "Critical Point/Opportunity". If you've seen any of the Die Hard movies, especially Die Hard III (my personal favorite), you know that there were moments where you weren't sure if John McClane was going to pull through. Bruised and beaten, he always got up and never stopped fighting. This is, to me, the best thing about this place. Sure, the medical benefits are good, PTO policy reasonable, and the working environment is friendly, positive and comfortable. Those things matter, and make it a good place to do battle from. Really, though, the opportunity to jump in and fight, the freedom to identify problems and solve them without a mile of red tape, and the general feeling that no one here is complacent with the status quo is what keep me putting in the long hours. It's an established company with a startup mentality, which has its pros and cons (see below), but the best part is that 'bureaucracy' is a 4-letter word here. My contribution feels important, and that's a powerful motivator.

Cons

We have the right people with the right mindset to jump ahead; onboarding industry innovators in the product development field is now starting to bear fruit, and I'm excited for the future, something I couldn't say when I first started here. I finally feel like we've stood back up, and I'm optimistic. Like any company that's undergoing a transformation, there are growing pains. Even though it's an established company, the faces are almost all fresh, so it takes a while to rebuild momentum. As a semi-startup, there are the typical issues of mild under-staffing and a lack of strong process adherence. When time is limited, things tend to happen without careful planning or adherence to structure, but this is changing. Communication, something that used to be practically non-existent here, now has an actual strategy and resources dedicated to it. Things can be a little rough in that regard, and they get smoother every day, but there's still a good amount of work ahead of us.

Advice to Management

Management is finding its feet, and we can tell they're passionate, which is a big motivator. One thing that I wish I saw more of was stronger cohesion. It's much better than it used to be, but feeling like senior staff are all on the same page will go a long way in getting morale even higher, letting the company rise to its full potential. Lastly, some of our senior staff can sometimes be too focused on the day-to-day stuff, which is understandable as we are small and growing, but putting processes in place and letting them run, and tweaking them if necessary will bring everyone's stress levels down :)

4. "the NEW Celestix, a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Celestix Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New management, new attitude. Very pro-active, roll up your sleaves management. Good energy at HQ, with the entire company ready to take over the world.

Love the new management. Very interested in success! The new management has the desire, skills and experience to get the team there. Overall, the company has strong commitment to customers, employees, and the products.

Cons

Must shake off the ill-will from the old management. Let the world know Celestix has changed and is reinvigorated.

Advice to Management

Never overlook loyal customers who have helped keep you alive during the dark times. Embrace them, show them off to prospects, the press, and analysts. You are still in a very strong position, you just need to let the world know. A little PR will go far.

"In disarray"

Current Employee - Sales in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Celestix Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location, nice name, and some nice engineers

Cons

Foreign management team who do not know how to management an American team. CEO let go recently. Massive turnover in staff across the organization. New CEO an old timer with poor communication skills. Layoffs happen all the time. Company advertising for jobs with no intention of hiring.

Advice to Management

Get an American CEO who understands the market and can lead.

"Celestix should change its name...used to be a good place. became a Terrible place around early 2011."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Celestix Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

was a great company for 5 years or so on a positive trajectory. that ended in early 2011.
    all the positives of pre-2011 are not worth mentioning at this point since they are no longer reality.

Cons

company suffered setbacks when products started to lose demand, and then turned into a very strange place starting in mid 2010 -massive overhaul of personnel and management team - much of which was unwarranted and sent a message to remaining employees that no matter how well you perform at your job, management will make up reasons to let you go if you challenge the new regime. they took it to extremes....the new top guy was a one-man army on a power trip, with arrogance and ruthlessness. nightmarish, political power struggles, etc.

By end of 2011, 95% of the US office was no longer there. some were fired/forced out in a backstabbing, machiavellian kind of way, even Sales guys who surpassed their numbers. many others just resigned once they realized how bad things were getting.

*lack of integrity and poor strategic vision by new management
    *lack of job security
    *draconian power tactics and despotic leadership
    *lack of camaraderie due to high turnover rate, people coming and going often
    *management team in Europe trying to micromanage US operations

Advice to Management

Resign.

"If you want to be a slave?. The. It's the firm for you."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Pros

Working closely with a lot of Microsoft technology.
    A respectable customer base.
    Unfortunately that is it. The firm doesn't have much else to offer.

Cons

Extreme politics, which is very difficult and rare for a firm of its size.
    Almost no technology advancement to speak of.
    Poor management

Advice to Management

The firm needs a better technology and product map beyond being the discount bin of last year's tech.
    There is very little trust within the firm on what anyone says or does.

"It's a place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Pros

It's in the Bay Area. There are some good products. There's a global presence. Some people were nice to work with. Basic resources were covered.

Cons

Company is apparently rudderless at this point. People don't sound very happy there. Management is apparently charting a new direction and you are either on board or out and there's no middle ground.

Advice to Management

Good companies sell quality products and have staff that are encouraged and supported to care about what the work they do.

"Great company before new management took over...."

Former Employee - Technical Sales in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Sales in Fremont, CA

Pros

When I started we had a great sales team. Solid management and a sense of direction. Great company sales trips. Open communication.

Cons

First few layoffs were hard. After new management took over there was a lack of communication and direction for the company. HR micro managed employees. New management team had it's own hidden agenda. They weren't upfront with existing sales team and ended up letting everybody go.

Advice to Management

Goodluck.

10. "Welcome Back Celestix"

I have been working at Celestix Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Celestix has a vision and we are gradually achieving the Goal. There is a great structure in place and we need to keep it there. Location is great and with the new products and Marketing working well let it be known that Celestix is back and can once again compete against the other competitors within the IT industry.

Cons

It a slow working progress, with all the changes made it takes its time to rebuild but Celestix now have a great team behind them and we can do it.