Celgene Reviews | Glassdoor

Celgene Chairman and CEO Mark J. Alles
Mark J. Alles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance and the ability to allow for WFH needs to be implemented" (in 23 reviews)

• "Slowly Turning into big pharma; very little internal advancement; not much room for growth; Very tight timelines" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love going to work every single day."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Summit, NJ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Summit, NJ

I have been working at Celgene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, ethical, people, compassionate, hard-working, culture, etc.

Cons

The location is not the most convenient, but with their flexible work policy it is doable.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, it is going in the right direction.

2. "Programmer"

Pros

Nice work environment doing research for cancer patients.

Cons

No other cons so far.

3. "Good company"

Pros

Science, passion, good health care benefits

Cons

Can be chaotic, can use a bit more vision in certain departments

4. "Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

I worked at Celgene full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They take care of you financially - great perks and benefits and nice office facilities.

Cons

Seems like changes occur only because things have been the same for a while, not because there is a need for change. Also there are major cultural issues in accounting/finance/IA that create a toxic environment. For those thinking of joining IA, only join if you enjoy the big 4 nature of auditing because the only benefit you will get of going private here is a little more work life balance.

Advice to Management

I hope my review below can serve as advice to management:

Depends. The one word that describes everyone's experience at every company.
    Depends on what group you are in.
    Depends on what your own preferences are in terms of work environment.
    Depends on who you report to.
    Depends on the level of false sense of self importance you have.
    Depends on whether you drink the koolaid or not.
    So as you can see, a lot of depends.

My experience was a mixed bag. I loved it until my group turned around completely and moved to sit closer with the rest of the larger group when we moved locations. Also the former head of the group retired and it was downhill after that.
    Having said that, those who are from big four and want to continue the same type of work and structure/atmosphere (minus busy season hours) may actually really enjoy being a part of it, but that isn't me.
    Also, when someone (mentioned in another review as someone who surrounded himself with yes men), has the kind of influence over a department that is supposed to be independent and objective where their words can make things happen in the group (i.e., staffing decisions), it makes me wonder about the governance. Additionally, when your external auditors run the show and have such a strong influence, it gives me cause for concern, especially when someone who is in charge of audit at the highest level was a former partner at the same firm.
    Both external audit and my group (no prizes for guessing) have also gotten into an escalation happy mode where instead of understanding their place (in my opinion) and fitting in, they seem to think they are more important than they are (again, only my opinion) and escalate. It would be nice to see the person they escalate to put these people in their place. This is particularly important when the external auditors get escalation happy. I'm of the school of thought that the company should have its' people's back, which isn't always the case regardless of the fact that the external auditors are unreasonable (in my opinion) most of the time. The go to is PCAOB, but let's be real, Costco had a MW, they're stock price took a baby hit but came right back, so please, let's have perspective.
    I equate the direction the company (or those in charge of my former group) are taking my former group to that of someone fixated on buying a Ferrari in Manhattan. It's a great fancy car, all the bells and whistles, but do you really need it in NYC?
    HR Business Partnership is there for those who have staff, not for the staff (again, can only speak for the group I was in). Nothing wrong with that, but it is important people understand and accept this reality as opposed to brushing it under the rug.
    Having said that, I'm not the disgruntled employee who will praise myself and bash management. I enjoyed what the company was when I joined, but where it is now is not a good fit for what I look for in a work place. I would work there in a heartbeat on a different team.
    On the 11/15/2018 storm, my current employer encouraged me to leave BEFORE it started to snow and pick up from home because it was more important to them that I was safe as opposed to leaving AFTER it started when everyone would try to leave. That is something that would never happen in the group I came from or in the broader accounting/finance group.
    That vibe when I walked in where it felt like everyone was nice, everyone had perspective of what was important versus what wasn't (or at least that is what it felt like because it aligned with my perspective), isn't there anymore.
    Having said that, they have great perks, state of the art gym, summer hours (and here is where the aforementioned "Depends" comes in, not all groups abide by it for optics reasons, not workload reasons), reimbursement for gym, solid 401-K match. They really do take care of you financially and in terms of perks so it is unfortunate that certain groups consist of personality types whose values don't align with mine.
    My personal opinion is steer clear from the group I came from, but that's just my opinion. Like I mentioned, if you like the big 4 culture and vibe in terms of structure, attitude, nitpickyness and documentation but just could do without busy season hours, then it's for you, if not, steer clear.

I'll end the long review with the thought that change is a good thing when it is necessary, not when you you do it for the sake of doing it because things have been the same for a while.

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

I have been working at Celgene full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, PTO and 401K match.

Cons

Work life balance and the ability to allow for WFH needs to be implemented

Advice to Management

Don't be so eager to dismiss the people who have worked through and kept up with all the change of Celgene over the past 12/15 years. We are the people who built Celgene to be where it is today.

"Great company purpose; culture varies by group"

Current Employee - Director in Summit, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Summit, NJ

I have been working at Celgene full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees feel like what we do matters. Company culture is very focused on patients.

Cons

Very top-heavy organization. Management styles vary considerably; some groups have higher morale than others because of this.

Advice to Management

Hire more "do-ers"- invest in the young people and give the experienced personnel an opportunity to mentor and develop a staff that can execute on the visions of leadership.

7. "Manager"

I have been working at Celgene full-time

Pros

Great company and expanding so fast

Cons

Employees with passion and work hard here.

8. "IT Dept"

I have been working at Celgene full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment doing life saving research for cancer patients. Significant authority afforded to positions not normally available at other pharmas. Smaller company feel yet having the resources of big enterprise.

Cons

Centralized organization, hard to gain influence if outside. Business units are decentralized with management spread geographically.

9. "Exciting science, strong teams, and growth potential"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Celgene full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Celgene's size and philosophy make this medium sized company a nice balance of agile and resourced, with ample opportunity for Scientists at various stages of their careers

Cons

The traffic on Alewife Drive

10. "Reporting and Testing Specialist"

Pros

Extremely relaxing job, super friendly Environment

Cons

I dont see any Cons