Celgene Reviews | Glassdoor

Celgene Chairman and CEO Mark J. Alles
Mark J. Alles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance and the ability to allow for WFH needs to be implemented" (in 23 reviews)

• "Slowly Turning into big pharma; very little internal advancement; not much room for growth; Very tight timelines" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Excellent company with a growth culture"

I have been working at Celgene full-time

Pros

Focused on curing disease - it is at the forefront of every effort and even in the IT teams, it is the priority driver, not empire building or IT for IT, but rather saving patients lives - it makes coming to work exciting and worth while.

Cons

Going through growing pains scaling from small to enterprise - contractors are used for many roles that you would expect an FTE in.

2. "Good company"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Celgene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and the company has a robust pipeline.

Cons

Slow to bring products to market resulting in loss of possible market share.

3. "Lead Strategic Planner"

I have been working at Celgene full-time

Pros

Flexibility and great work environment.

Cons

clique form and favoritism shown

4. "Great Company"

I have been working at Celgene full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits with a employee stocks.

Cons

worked in the manufacturing department, so very typical manufacturing issues.

5. "Associate Director"

I worked at Celgene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive compensation, opportunity to grow and work flexibility.

Cons

Not enough resources at times

6. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Celgene full-time

Pros

Nice salary, great working environment, PTO, special discounts

Cons

Haven't had any issues or problems

7. "Good company"

Pros

Science, passion, good health care benefits

Cons

Can be chaotic, can use a bit more vision in certain departments

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

I have been working at Celgene full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, PTO and 401K match.

Cons

Work life balance and the ability to allow for WFH needs to be implemented

Advice to Management

Don't be so eager to dismiss the people who have worked through and kept up with all the change of Celgene over the past 12/15 years. We are the people who built Celgene to be where it is today.

"Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

I worked at Celgene full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They take care of you financially - great perks and benefits and nice office facilities.

Cons

Seems like changes occur only because things have been the same for a while, not because there is a need for change. Also there are major cultural issues in accounting/finance/IA that create a toxic environment. For those thinking of joining IA, only join if you enjoy the big 4 nature of auditing because the only benefit you will get of going private here is a little more work life balance.

Advice to Management

I hope my review below can serve as advice to management:

Depends. The one word that describes everyone's experience at every company.
    Depends on what group you are in.
    Depends on what your own preferences are in terms of work environment.
    Depends on who you report to.
    Depends on the level of false sense of self importance you have.
    Depends on whether you drink the koolaid or not.
    So as you can see, a lot of depends.

My experience was a mixed bag. I loved it until my group turned around completely and moved to sit closer with the rest of the larger group when we moved locations. Also the former head of the group retired and it was downhill after that.
    Having said that, those who are from big four and want to continue the same type of work and structure/atmosphere (minus busy season hours) may actually really enjoy being a part of it, but that isn't me.
    Also, when someone (mentioned in another review as someone who surrounded himself with yes men), has the kind of influence over a department that is supposed to be independent and objective where their words can make things happen in the group (i.e., staffing decisions), it makes me wonder about the governance. Additionally, when your external auditors run the show and have such a strong influence, it gives me cause for concern, especially when someone who is in charge of audit at the highest level was a former partner at the same firm.
    Both external audit and my group (no prizes for guessing) have also gotten into an escalation happy mode where instead of understanding their place (in my opinion) and fitting in, they seem to think they are more important than they are (again, only my opinion) and escalate. It would be nice to see the person they escalate to put these people in their place. This is particularly important when the external auditors get escalation happy. I'm of the school of thought that the company should have its' people's back, which isn't always the case regardless of the fact that the external auditors are unreasonable (in my opinion) most of the time. The go to is PCAOB, but let's be real, Costco had a MW, they're stock price took a baby hit but came right back, so please, let's have perspective.
    I equate the direction the company (or those in charge of my former group) are taking my former group to that of someone fixated on buying a Ferrari in Manhattan. It's a great fancy car, all the bells and whistles, but do you really need it in NYC?
    HR Business Partnership is there for those who have staff, not for the staff (again, can only speak for the group I was in). Nothing wrong with that, but it is important people understand and accept this reality as opposed to brushing it under the rug.
    Having said that, I'm not the disgruntled employee who will praise myself and bash management. I enjoyed what the company was when I joined, but where it is now is not a good fit for what I look for in a work place. I would work there in a heartbeat on a different team.
    On the 11/15/2018 storm, my current employer encouraged me to leave BEFORE it started to snow and pick up from home because it was more important to them that I was safe as opposed to leaving AFTER it started when everyone would try to leave. That is something that would never happen in the group I came from or in the broader accounting/finance group.
    That vibe when I walked in where it felt like everyone was nice, everyone had perspective of what was important versus what wasn't (or at least that is what it felt like because it aligned with my perspective), isn't there anymore.
    Having said that, they have great perks, state of the art gym, summer hours (and here is where the aforementioned "Depends" comes in, not all groups abide by it for optics reasons, not workload reasons), reimbursement for gym, solid 401-K match. They really do take care of you financially and in terms of perks so it is unfortunate that certain groups consist of personality types whose values don't align with mine.
    My personal opinion is steer clear from the group I came from, but that's just my opinion. Like I mentioned, if you like the big 4 culture and vibe in terms of structure, attitude, nitpickyness and documentation but just could do without busy season hours, then it's for you, if not, steer clear.

I'll end the long review with the thought that change is a good thing when it is necessary, not when you you do it for the sake of doing it because things have been the same for a while.

"Over worked and under payed"

I worked at Celgene full-time

Pros

Co-workers are nice to work with

Cons

Over worked and under payed