Celgene Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Celgene CEO Mark J. Alles
Mark J. Alles

Pros
Cons
  • The work life balance could be better but it also depends on the department and the position level (in 14 reviews)

• Becoming more like Big Pharma than biotech (in 12 reviews)

1. "Scientist at Celgene"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

I have been working at Celgene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation package; Talented employees; Friendly environment

Cons

Slowly Turning into big pharma; very little internal advancement; not much room for growth; Very tight timelines

2. "Director Commercial"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Celgene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart colleagues, good compensation and patient centric company. Innovative medicines that are market leaders. Strong pipeline and business acquisitions. Expanding from a Hem/Onc business into inflammation and immunology.

Cons

Changes in Senior Leadership and current culture are bringing down this once amazing company. Becoming more like Big Pharma than biotech.

Advice to Management

Value your top talent and be transparent with your vision.

3. "Good people"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Celgene as a contractor

Pros

great group of people working here

Cons

most people at the SF site are contract employees, only hire for upper management positions,

Advice to Management

seems if you have good people working here you would want to hire them out right

"Good Company to work for w/ the obvious corporate mentality."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Celgene full-time

Pros

The majority of the people there are very nice. The stock options were great while working there. Pay was average. Work life balance was good, not too demanding. I enjoyed working with other departments in supporting the production of the medication.

Cons

I can only speak for the department I worked in. My manager was more interested in his personal growth that his mentoring and managing his team. It seemed that his only priority was to be respected and recognized by his colleagues and he did whatever was necessary to get there. It's unfortunate that many of his peers take notice of this however never confront him. He is widely known as being disrespectful within the company.

Advice to Management

Spend some time reading the management reviews, it might be eye opening. Not everyone is a disgruntled employee, rather, just trying to make a living, be respected and treated fair. Good people are leaving because of a few bad apples. Listen to your employees and recognize their hard work... they are the ones who are going to make you look good in the end.

6. "Scientist(Contractor)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

Pros

It is a growing company. You can learn a lot and people work hard.

Cons

A lot of opportunties but also some re-org and politics. It is everywhere now in the corporate. A lot of contractors in this company.

Advice to Management

Hopefully they have clear direction. It seems they realize that change can help them to survive but sometimes it is pain to change.

7. "Great Company Overall"

Former Employee - Intern in Summit, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Summit, NJ

I worked at Celgene (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Super smart people
    - Company is leading edge in terms of their field; very prestigious brand name
    - High compensation

Cons

Not clear outline of expectations for my role with management - recruiter and manager provided conflicting messages:
    - Recruiter highlighted the fact that I could live in NY and train in; manager expected me to rent a car for the summer (which would have come out of my own personal expenses)
    - Recruiter told me that upon a full-time offer I could explore different parts of the company via role rotations every couple of year; manager told me they wanted someone who was interested in their specific department who wanted to stick around for more than several years

Unfortunately management didn't tell me about these expectations until the end of my internship so it felt like there was a bit of a gap from a leadership perspective, but could've also been my fault that I made assumptions based on what I was told in the interview process.

8. "Research Associate"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Celgene as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent labs and facilities. Smart people. World class research. Long-term employees seemed to like working there.

Cons

They treat their contract workers like second class citizens. Orders from the management seem capricious and poorly planned.

Advice to Management

Consider long term goals more carefully. Be wary of chronyism - there appears to be way too much of that going on.

9. "IT consultant"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Summit, NJ
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Summit, NJ

I have been working at Celgene as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Enterprise environment with policies and standards

Cons

1. No full time opportunities
    2. Different treat for contractors than employees
    3. If you are a contractor, they will make sure to show it to all (badge, email, IM)

Advice to Management

It will take long time to find suitable capabilities so stack to them and don't let them go by offering more permanent seats

"Management"

Former Employee - Director in Summit, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Summit, NJ

I worked at Celgene full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The salaries and benefits are good

Cons

They are growing to big for their own good. Senior level management is not supportive and watch your back because you never know who will put a knife in it.

"Great company but too political"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Summit, NJ
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Summit, NJ

I have been working at Celgene full-time

Pros

Compensation, culture, smart people, growing organization/energy, multiple products. Restricted stock units! Overall, good culture, energy, and work environment. Lean organization so opportunity to take on more work and learn faster

Cons

Slowly becoming big pharma/hierarchical. Career progression can be hit or miss depending on political standing within organization. Depends on how much superiors with political capital 'advocate' for you. Some deserving people are passed over for promotions because of favoritism and inconsistency across the organization.

Advice to Management

Develop your talent, particularly at junior level. Check in to make sure employees are happy with current situation and career goals are being met. Do skip level meetings so employees do not always have to go through supervisors. Make it easier for employees to move between departments - currently can be very challenging, hit/or miss.