Cell Signaling Technology "growing pains" Reviews | Glassdoor

Cell Signaling Technology Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Oct 10, 2017

3.3
Cell Signaling Technology President & CEO Michael J. Comb (no image)
Michael J. Comb
Pros
  • "Work-Life Balance -- plenty of opportunity to work from home and flexibility to take time off as needed(in 13 reviews)

• "Great Culture, Great people with positive attitude that will make even dull to perform(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "kind of a disconnect between upper management and other employees(in 10 reviews)

• "CST is going through significant growing pains(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"Great company!"

I have been working at Cell Signaling Technology full-time

Pros

Excellent work/life balance Excellent benefits (401k match, PTO, health and dental are low cost to employee) Great culture Management encourages volunteering in the community and provides a paid volunteer day Fantastic location outside of the city. Commute is easy! Opportunities for career growth

Cons

We are currently going through some "growing pains" which is expected as we move from being a small to medium sized company. I appreciate that HR and management have been working hard to assist with these employee concerns.

Advice to Management

Keep talking to the people in the trenches and appreciate their thoughts and concerns. Reward hard work!

Cell Signaling Technology2017-08-28

"Love CST!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

I have been working at Cell Signaling Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mission, leader in the industry, awesome co-workers, excellent benefits and challenging work. Very values driven company and that resonates with me. I feel good about coming to work every day.

Cons

Going through some growing pains. Company made and is making significant investments in supporting organizations, such as IT, HR, Legal, Sales & Marketing, etc. to ensure that we can continue to scale globally. The science is rock solid, and now we need to get other functional areas there as well. Lots to do and definitely areas for improvement, but I applaud the leadership team for recognizing the skills gaps... and addressing them. Change is hard, but the mission/values are strong and we are making progress.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employee feedback and moving the needle forward on improving efficiency. Thanks for building a company with a mission and brand reputation that we can feel proud to represent!

Cell Signaling Technology2017-10-10

"Response to previous review"

I have been working at Cell Signaling Technology for more than 8 years

Pros

CST is a company with strong values and a solid foundation. It is a place where people genuinely care about each other, including upper management. This is why I was so disturbed by the scathing review of the CIO posted recently. I have worked with him closely since he started here and have never seen him act like a "frat boy" or bully. His approach is certainly direct and he does not tolerate empty excuses, but I... have always seen him treat his colleagues with respect. I wonder if the author of the review was told some things that he or she simply did not want to hear. I have watched the CIO bring a tremendous amount of change to his organization. These changes are necessary as we grow into a larger, global company. Change is difficult and, sadly, many here want to turn back the clock to the "good old days" when we were a company of 75 people. I won't claim that CST is perfect (I've been here long enough to know that that isn't true), but I wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

Cons

Salaries have not always been competitive, although that is changing. HR is working hard to properly benchmark CST against other biotechs and adjust salaries as appropriate. CST is going through significant growing pains. At the best times, the atmosphere is exciting and dynamic. At the worst times, it is chaotic and uncertain. There are definitely groups of employees who are stretched way too thin as they try to... engineer change while still performing their old jobs.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people in the trenches. Take morale seriously. Realize that you can't have everything. Prioritize your initiatives and understand that every new idea comes at a cost.

Cell Signaling Technology2016-08-17

"Great company, great products, some growing pains."

Former Employee - Account Manager - Mid Atlantic in Washington, DC

I worked at Cell Signaling Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

CST was a wonderful company to work for. What I appreciated about it most was its dedication to science. Where most companies are ruled by the numbers (i.e., revenue, customer visits), CST's priorities were in creating the very best products for the research community. Instead of quotas, my goals were to build strategic partnerships and educate customers on the value of the products. It was a real education in... true value-selling with a company dedicated to quality, the environment and pushing science forward.

Cons

CST went through some growing pains/restructuring in 2015 which proved to be challenging for both the sales team and the scientists. At that time the vision of the company was not adequately messaged to the outside managers who were hired and many changes were implemented without employee buy-in. This resulted in many employees leaving the company.

Advice to Management

It's important that the vision of the CEO is distilled down to the sales management so that the actions of the sales reps are aligned. I would advise that a member of the EC be present at every global sales meeting to reinforce the company vision and how that relates to the day-to-day activities of the sales team.

Cell Signaling Technology2016-08-17

"Busy & rewarding & in transition"

I have been working at Cell Signaling Technology

Pros

CST was founded for the right reasons and maintains that mission. Work is interesting and the company is growing rapidly in a global way. Recent salary review has put the company into a more competitive recruiting and retention position. Flexible atmosphere for those with families.

Cons

CST is feeling growing pains. It has become big enough that old ways and systems are no longer sufficient and transitioning to new systems and directions can be difficult, especially for those who want things to stay the same as they remember when CST was smaller. Ultimately leadership changes should have a strong positive effect, although the jury is still out.

Advice to Management

Listen to various opinions and make the tough decisions or empower those who should. Set goals high, but be sure that resources needed are understood and provide them.

Cell Signaling Technology2016-08-15
  6. "Still a great place to work"

I worked at Cell Signaling Technology

Pros

Great people (especially the loyal long timers). Cares about the environment and the community. Hard working scientists on a good mission.

Cons

it's tough for any company to go through growing pains.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be the smartest person in the room.

Cell Signaling Technology2016-08-19
  7. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Danvers, MA

I worked at Cell Signaling Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are CST are extremely talented (some of the best minds in the industry) and very passionate about what they do.

Cons

Some growing pains around new senior management, but the company is working hard to address. They need to put employee growth plans in place, to retain talent.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the employees, as you have been starting to. Put into place employee growth plans

Cell Signaling Technology2015-12-03

"Great company"

in Danvers, MA

I have been working at Cell Signaling Technology for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is very dedicated to the local community, the environment and science. Excellent quality, deep scientific bench.

Cons

CST is going through some growing pains (small company to big company).

Cell Signaling Technology2015-10-09