Cengage Content Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2019

1. "Content Developer"

Former Employee - Content Developer in Mason, OH

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The community and people are the best part about Cengage! I appreciated the leadership and forward thinking in digital strategy and educational publishing market.

Cons

Changing organization can mean changing in roles and that can cause unrest in employees. However, buying into the system and seeing it to fruition is key to any major overhaul if you are at the company.

Cengage2018-01-16

"Great Employees, Clueless Management"

Current Employee - Content Developer

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The employees in the trenches, the ones doing the actual work, are fabulous. The flexibility (being able to work from home one day a week, etc.) is also fabulous. I even enjoy the actual work.

Cons

The payscale has absolutely *no* transparency (even my supervisor doesn’t know what the pay range of my position is, let alone me), and raises, which have been capped at 1% a year for at least the last five years, were cut to 0.5% this year. (2019) No bonuses at all for employees not in management or sales.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a real raise! After this last pay “raise” of 0.5% (yes, we talk about it on our teams, no one on mine got more than 0.5%), morale is the lowest I’ve seen in my 20+ years with this company. People I know who are very productive employees are starting to look for jobs elsewhere now that the job market is opening up.

Cengage2019-07-17

July 26, 2019CPO

Feedback is key to our efforts to continually improve, so thanks for your post. If you’d like to reach out to me directly, I’m eager to learn more about your experience. And I’d be happy to provide context regarding our approach to compensation and improvements already being made to reward top performers, increase transparency and ensure we are offering competitive pay across all roles. In the meantime, I do want to offer one correction here. Specifically, raises for the company have NOT been capped at 1% in any of the last five years. We have always had variable adjustments that allow us to pay for performance and it remains a central pillar of our compensation philosophy. Thanks again.

3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Good Job, needs better pay"

Former Contractor - Content Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at Cengage for more than a year

Pros

Good people but wish management did a better job

Cons

Needs better pay for an area like DC

Cengage2019-06-03

"Going in the wrong direction"

Former Employee - Content Developer

I worked at Cengage full-time

Pros

The department I worked in had wonderful people and that kept me there.

Cons

The department relied less and less on it's own employees and more on contractors to do the job of it's own experts

Cengage2019-04-08
  6. "Good Culture"

Current Employee - Technical Content Developer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, good work environment.

Cons

Salary and continuous reorganizing by senior management.

Cengage2019-02-21

"Up and out of Chapter 11"

Former Employee - Content Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you want to work for a company that is stepping into the gap left by the demise of traditional text book publishing this is a company to consider. Friendly environment, decent benefits, great co-workers, and soon to be moving into a brand new facility in the Seaport district.

Cons

While it is admirable that the company has made it out of Chapter 11, the pressure to return to profitability and to move into the Ed Tech space has resulted in many course shifts and changes, pressure on employees to 'make it work' no matter what and of course, lay-offs.

Cengage2019-01-17

"I have my dream job"

Current Employee - Content Development Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People: seriously decent human beings who work hard, care about what we're doing, and about each other. Vision: we have it and we're using it to lead the industry and genuinely improve learning on the individual level. And we're constantly transforming to best serve our customers. Support: My support network is with me every day to challenge and push me, and also to tell me when to give myself a break. I feel... valuable and valued. I feel like this is the place where I can grow and be true to myself.

Cons

Totally not a deal breaker but the Boston building is very confusing. Looking forward to a time when salaries can be adjusted to reflect the quality of work we do. None of us are in this just for the money, and I understand why salaries are what they are today. But our talent base is the best! An adjustment, as we reach our goals, will be enthusiastically received!

Advice to Management

Love the path we're on!

Cengage2017-07-25

"A good company overall"

Current Employee - Senior Content Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Office environment and technology is fairly modern and streamlined. Quality of managers is generally very good. It is a sane company with high expectations yet fairly reasonable standards in terms of performance and work/life balance.

Cons

There have been a lot of large scale changes in the organizational structure over recent years that has made for some confusion about current roles and responsibilities. The newfound focus on efficiency and digital integration however seems to be a move in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Conduct a closer analysis of current processes and procedures between development, production, and digital production to better streamline operations and create more efficiencies in terms of transmittal times and costs. Also strive to do a better job of ensuring that content quality standards trickle down from management to all levels in a way that is clear and easy to implement.

Cengage2016-11-29

January 27, 2017CEO

Thanks for your comments. I agree that initially change can be difficult. I also continue to be impressed by our collective adaptability as our markets rapidly evolve. We need to redouble our sense of urgency in such a fast-changing environment, but overall, I’m extremely encouraged that we are taking a leadership position in the industry. To your specific suggestion to look at the development process, including digital and print production – we are taking a holistic look at the product development process to unlock additional areas to improve. We will share the results from this initiative as soon as they become available. I would also encourage you to participate in the extra credit days, where employees have a chance to question and innovate our products and processes.

"Great direction from senior leadership; still a long way to go"

Current Employee - Senior Content Development Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart, dedicated colleagues; great raw materials and potential for fantastic products; amazing variety in products; senior leadership understands that culture change is necessary and takes time and effort; noble effort to focus on student needs

Cons

Regular organizational change can get in the way of progress; disparity between software and editorial sides of the organization can be demotivating to those most interested in serving students' needs; old-school publishing practices and processes slow to adapt to digital-first reality; many are unaware of the breadth and variety of content that the company develops and provides

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen to the teams in contact with content creators and students and recognize that not all disciplines follow the same patterns. Support initiatives that encourage employees to cross discipline and departmental lines. Provide more thorough and substantive training for new hires.

Cengage2016-08-16

"Student Focus"

Current Employee - Associate Content Developer

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cengage is trying really hard to change the way a traditional "textbook publisher" would have thought--rather than only doing what instructors want since they are the decision-makers, Cengage has shifted to a student-focused and -driven company. While they know instructors are critical to the process, they try to make all changes with students in mind. Will it help them, teach them, empower them, develop them, etc.?... Is Cengage meeting students where they're at?

Cons

As with any of the companies, Cengage has been hit with rough times and continues to undergo various reorganizations. This often means lay-offs. In addition, Cengage is not often a transparent company. Changes happen and they're not clearly explained, if explained at all. People leave the company who you work with often and you may not know until they're already gone and they no longer email you back.

Advice to Management

When you say that you are transparent, it's often an indicator that you are not. Instead, just be transparent. When people are leaving, tell their team and other stakeholders with whom they work. If changes are coming to someone's department, the company, systems they use, etc., let them know before the change happens instead of days or weeks later.

Cengage2016-05-07

May 23, 2016CEO

Thank you for highlighting our student-focused strategy. It is essential to transforming education. As we continue our own company’s transformation, change can easily lead to uncertainty. Transparency is vital in combating that. I understand your skepticism, given how the term “transparency” might be used elsewhere, but I feel it’s important to share information. I hope you will keep an open mind about this. However, it sounds like you may have had some changes in colleagues that you weren’t aware of in a timely way. It is indeed important to let people know and in the right order. In addition to messages from myself and members of our team, I encourage you to sign up for our “Comings and Goings” RSS feed/blog for updates. As the title suggests, it offers the level of detail that I suspect you are seeking. The manager of each individual is also noted, should you wish to reach out with further questions. You can learn how to sign up from the home page of Inside (lower left of the page). If you are still uncertain, our help desk can walk you through it. Thanks again for your post.

Found 26 reviews