Cengage Director Reviews | Glassdoor

Cengage Director Reviews

Updated Oct 14, 2019

4.9
  1. "Cengage is the Industry Leader"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent balance between business life and personal life. Super-talented people. Industry leader in the transformation from textbooks to digital learning.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about Cengage.

Advice to Management

Continue building an inclusive, exciting culture and corporate ethos.

Cengage2019-10-09
  2. "Great people work here"

Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Cengage full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment filled with great people.

Cons

Uncertain future as the company is going through a merger.

Cengage2019-10-14

"Great Colleagues, Great Mission, Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

So many people say it on Glassdoor - but it's true. The people here are the best I've worked with. Always eager to help - very few turf issues or agendas that you see in other organizations. Everybody is looking forward to figure out how we can better serve students and reform a broken industry. A lot of that comes from the leadership that has put in the work to diagnose what's wrong with the industry and chart... a course for Cengage that the rank and file believe in - and believe they can impact. Folks are bought in. Other pro's: Casual culture for sure. A lot of fun is had amidst serious work. In Boston an amazing new office in the Seaport District. A growing number of social events, happy hours and the like -- many of them sponsored by Employee Resource Groups focused on the experience for People of Color, LGBTQ+ employees and Women in Technology. This is a progressive place always looking to improve. Plans to merge with McGraw Hill present all sorts of opportunities to have a bigger impact.

Cons

We are constantly looking to do things better so change is a constant. I don't see that as a negative -- in fact it's a positive -- but if you are change averse, this might be a tough place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the organization. Keep communicating.

Cengage2019-09-25
  4. "Really empower their employees"

Current Employee - Senior Product Director in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cengage is a fantastic company. They care about their people and are truly committed to transparency, honesty and growing together as one team. A few of the things I most value: 1) Michael Hansen is the most inspiring CEO I've ever worked for. He continues to amaze me. 2) The executive team is truly transparent. They always try to make the best choice, even when it's the hard choice and they bring us along with them... in those decisions. 3) Dedicated commitment to upskilling employees. Cengage seeks to create clear career pathway opportunities for it's employees and to provide all of the necessary time, training and resources to allow employees to learn and master new skills. 4) The people. Everyone here is passionate about changing lives.

Cons

Constant change. Though this is probably just a reality of the world we live in today and I suspect that most, if not all, businesses are in a constant state of change.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path you've charted.

Cengage2019-06-06
  5. "Great Place to work, with lots of opportunity to learn new things"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Mason, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunities for advancement if you are engaged and seek to learn new things. Company is continuously changing and reinventing itself to stay relevant in the industry. Emphasis on culture and ethos makes Cengage a rewarding and exciting place to work.

Cons

Frequent reorganizations due to changing business model. Organization runs lean, which adds to workload and stress at certain times. Rapid pace of change requires an open mindset and ability to pivot from task to task.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employees. Be as transparent as possible when changes are happening.

Cengage2019-06-06

"Student-Focused Company With a Strong Mission - Navigating Rapid Change"

Current Employee - Marketing Director

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Cengage culture is positive and strong. The mission to help students experience the joy of learning is something we can all get behind! -Upper-level management is very transparent about change and is developing a more flexible/agile workforce. -Company is trying to understand the learning preferences of the modern student to re-develop our content to meet their needs, while also empowering educators who have... increased demands. -Cengage has become more data-driven and sophisticated in its product development, marketing, technology implementation, and overall services provided to customers. This helping us experience revenue growth and digital growth (customers opting for online learning versus print textbooks).

Cons

-Change is absolutely constant here, as it is everywhere. Recently the San Francisco office closed and some jobs were moved to other hubs. This decision made business sense but had many personnel implications. It was hard to say goodbye to some longtime employees. Yet other jobs were opened up and a number of new promotions/transfers occurred in the Higher Ed space. That was bittersweet. -In general, employees... are being asked to handle much more, often with less resources, so that we hit our bottom line. People are adjusting to new assignments and some will not be staying on their former pet projects in a predictable way. This causes some anxiety, but change is often good for the business long-term. Most people are trying to roll with it and be flexible.

Advice to Management

Help us navigate change as people adjust to new roles and responsibilities. If roles and goals are not well defined, then people lack confidence.

Cengage2019-04-17

"They Care, But are Too Conservative"

Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People who care about the company's products and customers. Cengage Unlimited is a bold step.

Cons

Risk averse, lack of executive management diversity, low compensation for a tech industry employer

Advice to Management

Think out of the box and continue to influence the root challenges in the industry: valuing knowledge (education) as a right, disruptive competitors and education resources, and outdated business models. Relatedly, you should address the lack of diversity at executive management levels,

Cengage2019-04-05

"Good culture, significant business model change"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good culture. People generally respectful of one another. Plenty of opportunities to make an impact. Company is unafraid to make impactful decisions.

Cons

While culture is changing, sometimes things are stuck in the "way things have been done" and legacy processes. Transition from prior print-based to digital model not without pain points. Functions can be siloed.

Cengage2018-06-26

"Great Company - Great People - Great Culture"

Current Employee - Director, Sales Learning and Development in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

With the quickly changing "textbook" industry, one of the great things about Cengage is that we are constantly challenged for new and better ways to help our customers solve their issues related to education affordability, access, and student outcomes. Getting up for work everyday is easy when you feel that you are with a company that is sincerely working to make a difference in such an important industry as... higher education. The people I have met at Cengage make the difference. There is very little company politics here and people genuinely try to support and help each other, which is refreshing in the rat-race that is the corporate world. Cengage is also very flexible--- the goal is productivity rather than where your office is, when you clock in/out, etc... It is fun being the first to market with Cengage Unlimited, our digital subscription of all our content. Watching the competition scrambling to catch up is pretty fun, as well.

Cons

Not a lot of cons that are major. Pay, perks, vacation, and benefits are fine and probably about average for a company this size.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the envelope on being a leader in the industry and providing a vision that gives meaning to the work we do everyday.

Cengage2018-05-16

"Forward Thinking"

Current Employee - Production Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great culture, always pushing forward with an eye to our customers.

Cons

Too much work for too little staff.

Advice to Management

Add staff to allow thoughtful and creative work instead of burying us under an avalanche or work,

Cengage2018-04-26