Cengage Editor Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 12 May 2019

4.4
  1. "Great start"

Current Employee - Associate Development Editor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good work culture, helpful management.

Cons

None to speak of yet

Cengage2019-03-07

"Good work with many challenges"

Former Employee - Senior Editor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging, innovative work; great products Great staff in the trenches

Cons

Quality of work is lost due to demanding deadlines and lack of resources Long-time staff constantly wondering if today is the day of the next layoff

Advice to Management

Promote all products and areas of the company

Cengage2019-05-12

"Development Editor Role Review"

Former Employee - Development Editor in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

relaxed environment, good-natured employees, straightforward work

Cons

felt disconnected from other departments

Cengage2017-11-01
  4. "Fantastic staff, challenging transitions"

Former Employee - Freelance Editor

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was part of a fantastic team of people who were passionate about education and dedicated to doing quality work. We worked hard, but we had a lot of fun, too. There was a lot of room for growth at Cengage. I began as an Editorial Assistant, and within just a few years moved up the ranks to Development Editor. Both of my supervisors (who were wonderful mentors) were very understanding about my need for... flexibility. They advocated for me to be able to work remotely on a regular basis, which was a major perk for me.

Cons

Cengage has undergone several challenging transitions in the past decade, but really, what company hasn't? It's always difficult to ride out the storm, but I think the overall state of the company is stable...as long as you're open to working in the digital realm. Print publishing seems to be a thing of the past, which I see as a sad but inevitable reality.

Advice to Management

Promoting work-life balance = happy employees who are willing to work hard.

Cengage2017-02-01

"Good company with great people"

Acquisitions Editor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Cengage for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent work/life balance for majority of time spent there Very nice cafeteria Strong benefit package Clifton Park is a terrific area to live Solid compensation

Cons

Too much debt Lack of alignment across divisions/business units Lack of clear strategy/vision in the digital transformation Fragmented and too many office locations - Headquartered in expensive, unpleasant area

Advice to Management

Disrupt yourselves - "the turn really comes when we as an industry and we as Cengage have developed compelling alternatives to the textbook experience,” Hansen said. “The real inflection point in this market is when a student buys a digital solution that can become a digital substitute for the textbook"

Cengage2016-09-28

"Not what it used to be"

Editor in Mason, OH

I worked at Cengage for more than 10 years

Pros

Cengage Learning is not what it used to be, but that is a good thing! This 100+ year old textbook company is finally becoming a technology company after years of giving the notion lip service. Cengage is working hard to remain relevant in the ever changing textbook publishing industry. The jury is out, but I hope they can make a successful transition .

Cons

Cengage is not what it used to be, but that is a bad thing! More and more key roles are moving out of the Mason to either the east or west coast. It feels like the Mason office is slowly being dismantled and probably won't be around in a few years.

Advice to Management

Reconsider what you are doing to the Mason office. You are forcing a lot of key, valuable people to leave Cengage Learning.

Cengage2016-06-29

"Managing Editor"

Former Employee - Managing Editor in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Because job titles don't seem to correspond to the level and extent of job tasks and responsibilities entrusted to (or "thrown at," depending upon your perspective) employees, there are lots of opportunity to take on tasks that would normally be outside of your job description at other companies. This can lead to exciting opportunities and professional growth. You are not a cog in the wheel here, and are instead... often expected to do all the jobs of making the wheel turn.

Cons

Because job titles don't seem to correspond to the level and extend of job tasks and responsibilities, employees are often expected to perform tasks and take on responsibilities that are well beyond their experience and job description. There is also an astonishing lack of accountability so that a competent employee may be in a position of having to pull the weight of various underperforming colleagues. The... middle management is power-mad and ego-driven and deaf to input from employees. Employees are scared to speak out.

Advice to Management

Advice to middle management: Start listening to input from direct reports, and make some honest attempts to fix what is so terribly broken.

Cengage2015-07-01

"Great benefits, but management is in free fall"

Current Employee - Project Editor in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work from home (limited to a few employees) Great company benefits

Cons

Management has had a lot of turnover lately, and it's chaos now. Over the years, there was little investment in the company within Cengage, and now it's struggling to catch up with the industry. There's a lot of paralysis right now in terms of processes -- tons of "hurry up and wait"; job descriptions changing rapidly, but with no training or clarity around new roles. New management is out of touch with staff.

Advice to Management

Stop canceling meetings and follow through on something. Anything.

Cengage2015-04-10

"Great people below the top level of management, but frustrating for true innovators"

Former Contractor - Editor in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage for more than a year

Pros

I've freelanced here for many years, and may again. The project teams are usually fantastic, staffed with people who truly care about the quality of the final product. The hourly rate is competitive, and they usually -- 70% of the time -- pay on time.

Cons

I've seen many project start out with the idea of making significant changes and innovations to the way a concept is taught or course is designed. But time and time again, the innovations get shelved in favor of not rocking the boat. which makes you wonder why you spent all that time "thinking outside the box" in the first place.

Advice to Management

Take another look at your middle managers -- and more importantly, another listen. They truly care about their work and the markets they serve, and may have invaluable ideas.

Cengage2015-01-28

"A lot of ups and downs"

Editor in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cengage

Pros

Good salaries and benefits. A lot of different types of jobs are available. Movement within the company is encouraged.

Cons

To some extent, an old-boy network exists. Often the company doesn't seem interested In keeping long-term employees happy. Company seems to prefer new, young employees to whom Cengage doesn't have to pay bigger salaries.

Advice to Management

Really care about your employees rather than being so concerned about your own position, salary, etc.

Cengage2015-01-19