Cengage Reviews in Farmington Hills, MI | Glassdoor

3.7
Cengage CEO Michael Hansen
Michael Hansen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I'm able to keep a reasonable work-life balance (in 112 reviews)

• The best thing about working at Cengage is that there are some really great people working there (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management who only care about KPIs and metrics (in 66 reviews)

• Horrific work/life balance (in Singapore office) (in 21 reviews)

"Changing What Educational Technologies Look Like"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is invested in staying current with the technologies used to develop their products, and the focus on driving their technology solutions makes for an exciting and ever changing technical landscape. What this means is that it is great for developers who want to try new things and make a real difference in bringing technology to the forefront of learning

Cons

We have gone through a great deal of change in the 2 years I have worked at Cengage, I have had 4 managers and only one was the result of a promotion. I am not sure whether this will change as we mature as a technology company but it is not easy for the change averse employees out there.

Advice to Management

Work to stabilize and mature our processes and teams, push for relevancy as a technology leader globally.

Cengage Response

Jul 10, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you find the technology environment stimulating. It sounds like using your skills to help improve student learning and confidence is strong fit with... More

"Breath of Fresh Air"

Current Employee - K12 Education Consultant in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - K12 Education Consultant in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The corporate culture is consistently positive and collaborative. All employees believe in the overarching mission of leveraging technology for the betterment of educators, students, and users. Surprisingly little disconnect for those working in the field. Innovative Sharepoint portal for handy reference to products and protocols, a must for new employees. Competitive pay. Overall, a great place to work.

Cons

Aggressive sales goals within ultra-competitive industry landscape. There are many low- or no-cost alternative vendors, and there is the potential for cannibalization given the competing markets within the company. Much to learn in short period of time. Must be super-organized in order to be successful.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the consortia market model. They have the potential to severely undercut your continued K12 growth.

"Good leadership, great work, opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cengage has developed an excellent leadership team over the past five years--responsive, engaging, and determined to succeed during a time of challenge and change in the industry. The climate here is refreshing--our individual contributions are genuinely appreciated, and there is a sincere emphasis on personal growth and development, with plenty of opportunities for advancement. Nice perks also like 401k match, flex time, and a generous benefits package.

Cons

The education/information industry (libraries, schools, online resources) is tough right now.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on a culture of more efficiency, less time wasted attending meetings. Still far too many meetings fill my calendar every week, and many others have it much worse than I do!

"Company Review"

Current Employee - Director in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cengage is an excellent company to work for. I am empowered to make decisions and challenged everyday to find solutions. I can truly say I love what I do. Cengage has terrific people, competitive benefits package, positive imprints in the community and is extremely impressive in its philanthropy programs. I truly appreciate all of the work/life balance provided by the company as well as the numerous programs and learning opportunities offered.

Cons

Although Cengage is an excellent company that I love very much, I would have to say the cons about it are the lack of diversity at the executive level. An additional con would be leading from behind on some of our programs and initiatives. However, we are making strides to improve in this area.

Advice to Management

Keep communication open, constant and consistent. Continue finding ways to keep us marketable and competitive during these uncertain times as it relates to education at the federal level and state levels.

"Failing Executive Leadership Rolling the Dice on H1B Visa Workers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was a good company to work for prior to Micheal Hansen's leadership and George Moore's outsourced technology vision. Company perviously enjoy a respectable reputation.

Cons

Leadership betting on H1B visa employees to cut costs and save company, CTO has impulsive habit of wasteful spending on technologies that do not generate revenue or significant cost savings. Lack of appreciation for the American worker. Sales/marketing focused on offering over-priced products to its customers. Lack of publisher awards and understanding of its customers' needs. Company operates under poor business ethics. Cengage filed bankruptcy and burnt its creditors and small business vendors while the company somehow managed to purchased new prime real estate office locations. Also, the company recently sent out an email to its employees asking workers to have an "open dialogue" against President Trump's immigration policy. Meanwhile, the company has downsized the head count of its American workers while outsourcing to "H1B visa based company" Cognizant. Company does not care to invest in developing and enriching its culture and employee base. Light years away from receiving "Top 500 Best Places To Work". This is supposedly a company with product base focused on education. Cengage provides very little investment of education and further advancement for its employees.

Advice to Management

Need new executive leadership and vision.

"Every read the lyrics to Taylor Swift's "Mean"?"

I worked at Cengage full-time

Pros

The people at the lower levels are fantastic. Smart, friendly, great people to work with. The work life balance is good too.

Cons

Literally, every time I got off the phone with my boss I would find myself humming the words to Taylor Swift's song "Mean". Every call put me on the defensive, and really made me unmotivated to do good work. And I talked to at least 6 others who felt exactly the same and came to me for advise!

Advice to Management

Coaching is great, when it is constructive. Get out of attack mode. People will actually want to stay and work hard.

"Great People Gone"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

casual environment and flexible hours are perks

Cons

"It would be a mistake--a tragic mistake, indeed--to think that the way you ignite a transition from good to great is by wantonly swinging the axe on vast members of hardworking people. Endless restructuring and mindless hacking were never part of the good-to-great model." by Jim Collins, author of Good to Great

Advice to Management

If you have any desire to take the company from Good to Great, you need to keep the loyal, hardworking senior employees. Cutting from the top is an immediate $$ fix but great knowledge and wisdom is lost, and the newer (cheaper) workforce will be built on a weak foundation. Knowledge is power.

"Good Starter Company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. Lots of good base learning about higher education content
    2. Great people
    3. Moving toward heavy use of digital product.

Cons

1. Has a hard time focusing in a single direction
    2. Continuously reorganizing
    3. Does not continue to invest in good internal systems

"Consultant"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Cengage as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

No cubicles. Wide open work area with tables. Wine and beer from fridge after 4pm. Agile shop.

Cons

Agile methods are not yet fully adopted by management, creating a rift between the developers and upper management.

Advice to Management

Fully adopt agile methods. Let developers provide meaningful estimates based on metrics to set expectations.

"Once a Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people that support each other to get the job done.

Cons

The company began outsourcing their IT department. The "Great" people mentioned above are no longer employed at the company and have since been hired at other companies.

Advice to Management

Before making a decision that impacts the company make sure you truly understand the impact of that change.