KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 1,720 of over 1,848 reviews

4.1
Cengage Group CEO Michael Hansen
Michael Hansen
Pros
  • "Work Life Balance and flexibility is key(in 174 reviews)

• "Number one is the great people I worked with(in 116 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Cengage Unlimited isn't holding up to the pedestal it was put on by upper management(in 73 reviews)

• "To many reorgs when company numbers aren't met(in 41 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cengage Group and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Feel heard and valued

Mar 27, 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Accessibility to upper leadership Feel valued Work Life Balance Good management Company culture

Cons

Need more consistent sales tools

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee

None right now

Oct 22, 2021 - IT Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work with great people.

Cons

None that I have discovered yet.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Culture and strategy moving in right direction, need more diversity in talent

Oct 22, 2021 - Senior Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Sound strategy, dynamic executive team, ever improving culture

Cons

Executive Team -1’s and -2’s don’t seem to all be in same page strategically and culturally. Hiring for nearly all advanced roles in Product, Tech, Ops, and Marketing looking for same, cloned skill set: “experience at top tier consulting agency.”

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Inclusive and Supportive Company

Oct 12, 2021 - Digital Success Specialist in Independence, KY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company culture at Cengage is incredible. Employees and employee wellness is put first. The culture is so supportive and inclusive of all employees. They have so many employee resource groups for all types. A mentor is provided for new employees for the first year which is a great resource to pair with an experienced employee. Managers are great and don’t micromanage, they trust employees to complete work without hovering. Time off is generous with additional wellness days offered. Benefits are great with dental, health, and vision offerings along with legal insurance, expanded disability insurance, pet insurance and more. The workload is manageable and easy enough to follow. The work is rewarding with my passion in higher education working with professors and universities.

Cons

Pay could be better, I transferred into this company only matching my previous salary but the work from home ability, benefits, and culture were worth it to me.

Cengage Group Response

CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave this in-depth review. I’m so glad to hear to hear that you are happy with the benefits we provide and that our radically transparent culture resonated with you. The wellbeing of our employees is certainly a top priority, and we strive to achieve this through programs and initiatives that create opportunity for learning, listening and involvement - as you mentioned, our employee resource groups, mentorship programs, and wellness days are great examples of this. Creating a transparent culture takes input and engagement from all employees – so I want to thank you for participating in it and sharing your passion with others over the past year. Regarding compensation, our HR department closely analyzes the market to provide fair compensation and we strive to offer competitive, equitable programs that recognize and reward strong performance. We realize that we aren’t perfect and have continued to invest in employee growth and development over the past year. Please feel free to bring up your specific salary concerns with your manager and your HR business partner. It’s great to hear that you are so passionate about working in education – don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly with ways we can better support our employees. Best, Michael Hansen, CEO

5. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good place, but..

Oct 22, 2021 - Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Diversity, decent pay, great company culture, fairly transparent

Cons

pay goes stale (no raises, bonus rare), not all managers are good, no "in writing" policies that matter.

6. 5.0

Great place to work!

Oct 21, 2021 - Inside Sales Consultant in Farmington Hills, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great hours, wonderful management, still working from home full time which is nice but it would be nice to be able to collaborate with coworkers.

Cons

Pay could definitely be better.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Awesome Company

Oct 20, 2021 - Customer Success Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Freedom, flexibility, collaboration, room to grow.

Cons

Large company, not much guidance, high turnover rate with product and marketing.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Code factory (and a bad one at that)

Oct 14, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Competitive salaries * Good benefits * Flexible hours

Cons

* Terrible product that's hated by every kid that's forced to use it * Horribly rotting tech infrastructure * 90% of your coworkers are in India or Ukraine * Company seems to exist only to grab as much cash from the education sector as possible while providing the minimum possible product * Because of COVID, everyone switches to remote learning, and somehow this *hurts* the company???

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Constant re-orgs and bad leadership

Oct 3, 2021 - Technical Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Educational technology is helpful to the learning and education for millions of students.

Cons

Cengage believes they don’t actually have to try and make things better for current employees - they just re-org constantly and never give things enough time to settle before changing again. It keeps everyone scared and scrambling to over-work because they’re afraid of losing their jobs. At last count there were about 6 Vice Presidents of Technical Product Management, all white men. How can that be effective? And no SVP or clear strategy across all. Cengage doesn’t use data to make decisions, it’s just who is most popular at the time who gets what they want. Note to applicants - when reading reviews here, note how many of the great ones don’t actually work in the tech groups.

4 people found this review helpful

Cengage Group Response

EVP, Chief Technology Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I agree that our work support millions of learners every day. As the education industry and learners’ needs continue to evolve (even more rapidly as a result of Covid), Cengage Group must also continue to evolve to meet the changing needs; reorganizations have been driven by our overall strategy. We value candor and transparency and encourage employees to bring both ideas and issues forward. We also believe that creating an inclusive and diverse workplace is essential to the future success of Cengage Group and are taking concrete steps to make progress in this area, including recruiting more diverse talent. We've been ranked highly for inclusion & diversity on Glassdoor and see this as an indication that we’re making progress, but we also know we have much more work to do. While there have been changes to Technical Product Management (TPM) leadership over the past year and a half, the current leadership has deep experience with our TPM team -- they are committed to supporting the group and driving our technology strategy for the future. I appreciate you sharing this feedback and thank you for more than 10 years of with our team. I wish you success in your future endeavors. Best, George Moore

10. 5.0

Nice place to work

Oct 12, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Albany, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance. Really good work culture, motivating colleagues. PTO is 3 weeks for an employee.

Cons

There is no much cons

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,720 Reviews