Cengage Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Cengage Manager Reviews

Updated Oct 22, 2019

3.8
  1. Featured Review

"Amazing Company Driving Positive Change"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- The culture is positive, motivating and very collaborative - Work brings great opportunities for professional development - The CEO and Executive Team are top leaders with great vision and corporate strategy - benefits are good - Everyone is so nice, it's very unusual to have such a large group of genuine, hard working individuals

Cons

The company is a leader in driving change in education, which is amazing and exciting to be a part of, but things move fast, so having an adaptable work style would be beneficial to employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing job! I am super excited to be part of your team and under your direction. You've always made the right decisions and implemented strong strategies for business success. Lead and I will follow.

Cengage2019-06-21

"This company really has it together!"

Current Employee - Content Manager

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cengage has a strong focus on organization and employee morale. Leadership works hard to ensure that folks who work here are happy, heard, taken care of, recognized, encouraged, and given opportunities for growth. Cengage promotes collaboration, teamwork, exploration, and constant change and improvement. The people here are friendly and happy to help each other. The company is organized and highly focused on... developing processes, systems, standard tools, and avid documentation. There are plenty of chances to connect with and learn from colleagues outside your specific group. The office is also beautiful. Lastly, the onboarding process was far beyond what I have experienced at top competitors.

Cons

Training courses were fantastic and well-put together, but they were sometimes outdated or too high level and not specific enough to the nuances of my particular role. If coming from another industry (or another role within the same industry), the learning curve can be steep. It's very high-tech here and you have to be extremely proactive about asking good questions and learning quickly. You have to be able to... problem solve and deal with some level of ambiguity. The location of the new office can be a tough commute for certain people. Finally, it is a very spreadsheet heavy workplace, which people may or may not find appealing.

Advice to Management

Inevitably, a new employee will be thrown into a workflow that is already underway. That is to be expected. But some specific training from the ground up would be excellent. I highly recommend instituting a simulated training, where a new employee watches a project get off the ground from square one, and then follows the workflow process from conception through to fulfillment, experiencing various milestones of a... model project, and learning his/her specific role and responsibilities. An opportunity to shadow someone in their position as they begin a project and get it off the ground would be great.

Cengage2019-10-02

October 8, 2019Chief People Officer

Thanks for posting your experience to Glassdoor. I particularly appreciate your comments on the onboarding process as that is something we have prioritized and continue to invest in. You have some good ideas on possible improvements – I will make sure they get to the right team, but please also consider bringing them directly to your HR Business Partner.

"I work for Gale, a part of Cengage"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work at home one day a week.

Cons

I have never been at a company with such low morale. We have been so leaned out that it's impossible to keep up. Reoccurring layoffs, lack of transparency, and overall lack of support from management. There are way too many layers of middle management, and some egos are out of control. Pay is VERY low in comparison to the same jobs in other companies. Job titles do not correlate to workloads.

Advice to Management

Lean out middle management. We can't make money if we don't invest in our products.

Cengage2019-09-22

"Falling fast"

Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Manager and individual contributors are all really great people.

Cons

- Poor compensation. Even when you know for a fact that you are underpaid, you will not get a market adjustment because the company is doing poorly. - Must be a cheerleader for a merger between two corporations that will result in the unemployment of 3,000+ people. - No job security at all. Cuts are constant and often do not make sense. If you speak up about it at all, you are told that you do no embrace... change. Number of people cut each time has come down over the years, but I've seen 100+ people be cut in the same day. The people that remain have to pick up the slack. Constant fear that you are next. Employees are leaving in droves. - Workplace induced depression is a common theme lately.

Advice to Management

Stop buying fake Glassdoor reviews.

Cengage2019-10-22

"Wolves in Sheep's Clothing"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fairly flexible schedules & remote working - depending on direct manager. Meeting highly educated and passionate people (senior management not included). Good place to work short term to learn the industry basics under high profile brand. Some genuine people who work hard and are a pleasure to work with, strong network. Moved to a cushy Seaport location.

Cons

Endless and meaningless reorganizations with zero transparency. Catering to under performing employees instead of rewarding strong talent. Would rather pay external consultants than employees. Those with business consultant experience are treated like Gods, extra points for ivy league graduates. Very low pay for existing employees, better to leave and come back than seek promotion. Tries to disguise themselves... as a tech company, but fail miserably on culture. Huge visible and destructive division between Product and Technology. Senior management is overpaid and out of touch with employees. Not enough women in senior management roles and making strategic decisions. Meetings about meetings to schedule meetings to discuss meetings within meetings for meetings. Sub-par process, weak tools, and failing operations leading to sub-par products - faster and cheaper always wins. Terrible open office concept that is about saving money, nothing to do with collaboration.

Advice to Management

Welcome to Ego-ville, enjoy your stay! Management is clueless as to who is actually doing the work and what employees need to succeed. The culture and public version promoted is not anywhere near the truth. The majority of people are unhappy and feel stuck, under paid, treated poorly, and forced to watch as leadership makes one mistake after another. They expect you to drink the kool-aid and get on board, no... matter how detrimental to individuals and the company as a whole. Fully expect you to give your all and remain loyal with little to no reciprocation; work/life balance can suffer tremendously. Every six months people are terrified of being laid off or re-orged out. Whats worse is they do not keep the top talent, they keep the "yes men" and truly do not value diversity of thought. If you can make a nice PowerPoint and use corporate buzzwords, you will fit in nicely. Constantly talking about making changes but they do not improve the process or company, and do not finish one effort before starting another OR reverting back to previous ways, then point fingers. This is a toxic and extremely hostile politically charged environment; if you are friends with someone, you are protected and promoted. I would not be surprised if the company dissolves within the next two years. McGraw-Hill has NO idea what they are in for with the proposed merger, especially keeping the CEO and possibly leadership team. Also note: Employees are "encouraged" to give good reviews to balance out the bad, especially just before CEO is announced as Glassdoor's Employees' Choice Award and being named Best Places to Work. Both are far from accurate.

Cengage2019-08-21

August 28, 2019CEO

Thank you for your service during the past 5+ years. I agree, we do have many extremely passionate people who work at Cengage and do amazing things for students, globally, every day. As we continue to make changes to transform our company and disrupt an industry to benefit students, it is important that we are open to candid feedback like yours. While there is a lot here that I would challenge, it is fair to say that our fast-changing environment is not for everybody. I wish you the best of luck in your next endeavor.

6. "Amazing Company doing Great Things"

Current Employee - Senior District Manager in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Management is very transparent and approachable at all levels. The culture is very positive and collaborative. The vision from the top down to truly make a difference in the lives of students is remarkable.

Cons

The only con would be the stress of "rush" times but it is just that much more rewarding after we get through it together.

Advice to Management

Keep putting the student learners first and driving us all to do more together.

Cengage2019-08-20
  7. "Transparent, Positive Change, Excellent People!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management is transparent. There is a lot of change but in a good way! I have never worked for a company with better people. Everyone is extremely helpful! Extremely positive team environment.

Cons

There are "Rush" times of year where there is a significant influx of customer requests at once and a million things that need to be done. This happens about twice a year in Fall and Spring start ups. You are made to juggle a thousand tasks and everyone is busy. But as long as you know how to manage your time and set expectations with customers ahead of time it really isn't that bad.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting staff. Support them in their growth and advancement opportunities. Its always best to lift them up instead of trying to hold them in one place.

Cengage2019-08-16

August 27, 2019CEO

Thank you for leaving such a positive review about your experience. As you know, I believe so strongly in being transparent with employees; you’ve likely heard me say this before: transparency builds trust, trust builds confidence, confidence builds performance. Someone said this to me more than 20 years ago, and after seeing it play out hundreds of times during my career, I still believe it to be true. And while we aren’t perfect, we are learning as we go, trying new things in an effort to improve our customers’ experience and our employees’ experience. As a Customer Success Manager, I know you are currently in one of the most intense periods of our sales cycle --- I want to thank you for all that you do for our customers, on behalf of Cengage. Thank you again for your great work!

8. "Students first"

Current Employee - Facilities Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cengage makes every effort to put the students needs first. It hires smart innovative employees who generally collaborate effectively to meet the company Ethos. The work environment lets employees concentrate on their work without added distractions.

Cons

Recent changes to better reward high performance employees is a good start and should continue. 401K match % and parking/commute subsidy should be higher.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have been doing recently. Make sure employees feel as valued as the students we are supporting.

Cengage2019-08-12
  9. "Great company to work for!!!"

Current Employee - International Tax Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent communication and transparency among the teams. People are helpful, friendly and collaborative. Work life balance is great.

Cons

Open space environment can sometimes be distracting.

Cengage2019-08-09

"Too many changes too quickly"

Current Employee - Senior Content Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible schedules, decent benefits and vacation time, good people and solid products.

Cons

Two reorgs in one year is too much and it is difficult to keep up with all the changes. Content managers are forced to wear too many hats. They combined two separate positions, Content Developer and Content Production Manager into one role, so basically double the work for the same pay.

Advice to Management

The company has a great vision but management needs to be more realistic about expectations.

Cengage2019-08-14