Cengage Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 10, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cengage CEO Michael Hansen
Michael Hansen

Pros
  • I'm able to keep a reasonable work-life balance (in 109 reviews)

• The best thing about working at Cengage is that there are some really great people working there (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management who only care about KPIs and metrics (in 65 reviews)

• Horrific work/life balance (in Singapore office) (in 20 reviews)

"The company treats employees well, the job is not great"

Former Employee - Customer Technical Support in Independence, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Technical Support in Independence, KY

I worked at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Descent benefits, good hours, good work/ life balance, and attempts to make the work environment a community. In the off season things are pretty relaxed and you get to work on interesting side projects sometimes.

Cons

The digital products are poorly developed and extremely frustrating to work with. The admin programs are sub par and the programs are often glitchy. You have to deal with a lot of angry customers for this reason and it makes the job pretty unpleasant. The ticketing system breaks down often and the knowledge base you pull information from is sub par. The amount of extra digital paper trail that's expected with each case and escalation is a bit over kill and you are not given adequate time to do these things between calls. They expect you to be able to support about 100 programs overall, many of which you only get an occasional call on, but are frustrating when you are supposed to be the expert on a product you've barely even trained on.

Advice to Management

Go back to the POD system so workers can specialize in certain programs instead of being expected to know every product. It's too much information to be an effective support person for your customers and the long holds researching unknown products angers your customers.

2. "Learning Consultant"

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Independence, KY
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was amazed at the willingness of my team to assist me with learning the Magellan system and the finesse of the selling process the first year. They went above and beyond with supplementing my training and truly cared about my progress.
    I appreciate upper management's transparency and accessibility to all levels of employees.

Cons

There are many factors that are outside of the Learning Consultant's control in order to meet sales goal. This can be frustrating if the yearly goal is just out of reach. It's difficult to 'get your arms around' all the moving parts that constitute if a Learning Consultant makes his/her sales goal that year.

Advice to Management

Sales goals for Learning Consultants need to match current industry standards. Publishing as a whole is transforming rapidly into less-costly digital. Sales goals should take into account that the digital products that the Learning Consultant's are being asked to drive the business is less costly as well. The goal should include only those factors that the Learning Consultant can influence.

"Long Time Employee Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people, the work we do, the flexible schedule

Cons

Terrified of layoffs, three managers in two years, miniscule pay raises, no bonuses. Zero chance for advancement despite more responsibility with each round of layoffs.

Advice to Management

Many of us have been with the company over ten years. I understand the business need for all of the reorgs, but management should do something to boost morale.

I don't think the company can afford to give large raises or bonuses, but at least acknowledge the people who have been here for so long and contributed so much.

Maybe title changes or a company wide work from home day or something?

5. "Turning around?"

Former Employee - Software Engineering in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people. Feel good mission advancing education. Interesting problems.

Cons

Bureaucracy. Trouble executing. Overly constrained by assumptions about the school year schedule.

Advice to Management

Execute more incrementally. Question all assumptions about your target users and customers.

6. "Warehouse Job"

Former Employee - Picking/Special Orders in Independence, KY
    Former Employee - Picking/Special Orders in Independence, KY

I worked at Cengage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good schedule, and there was decent pay

Cons

There aren't many cons, its a pretty decent warehouse job.

"Cengage Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on manager, working from home is allowed, good work life balance, no working late

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunities, not a very collaborative environment, not easy to meet co workers outside your department, almost no social budget so not many perks compared to other similar companies

"Staying strong in changing times..."

Former Employee - Executive Marketing Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Executive Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Intelligent people developing a quality product for academia.

Cons

Industry is going through some major changes - a bit of uncertainty - but company stays moving along...

Advice to Management

None

9. "QA engineer"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage as a contractor

Pros

Good company to work with. Work culture is very good!

Cons

Career growth in Manual QA is very stagnant.

"Experience working depends A LOT on the team you end up on"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage (More than a year)

Pros

- Depending on team, amazing team members that are looking to support, teach and encourage you
    - Lots of opportunity for learning new skills and areas of interest

Cons

- Low wages relative to other companies
    - Workload is overly high at times

"Replaces talent with cheaper associates"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Clifton Park, NY
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Clifton Park, NY

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are the saving grace. We all worked very hard and balanced a lot of responsibility, and there was real camaraderie. I was also able to acquire a lot of skills that I leveraged to leave Cengage.

Cons

I was with CL for over a decade and worked in Product Management for the last 5 years, and I can say that the job steadily increased in responsibility with no commensurate increase in pay. Only after someone leaves or is laid off do they offer those who remain any kind of pay increase. It's shameful.
    There was no work/life balance. PMs are expected to do all of the travel, all of the marketing, and all of the sales support for their disciplines. This is not sustainable. There is no real cooperation or ownership of anything by anyone in any other department except Product Management, and that's not fair. Every single time someone in another department was laid off, our PM group was told, 'you must pick up the slack now.' It happened at least four times in the past year. It is weak middle management to allow work to continuously pile up on your people instead of defending them and the core responsibilities they are supposed to be focusing on, like developing products and doing market research.

Advice to Management

Making a PM do ALL OF THE JOBS and shoulder all of the responsibility while paying them nothing will most definitely lead to burnout and lost talent. But maybe that's the strategy, to lose good people to burnout so they can be replaced with younger, cheaper, associate-versions who don't get bonuses.