Cengage Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 15, 2019

Found 1273 reviews

4.0
  1. Featured Review

"Amazing Company Driving Positive Change"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- The culture is positive, motivating and very collaborative - Work brings great opportunities for professional development - The CEO and Executive Team are top leaders with great vision and corporate strategy - benefits are good - Everyone is so nice, it's very unusual to have such a large group of genuine, hard working individuals

Cons

The company is a leader in driving change in education, which is amazing and exciting to be a part of, but things move fast, so having an adaptable work style would be beneficial to employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing job! I am super excited to be part of your team and under your direction. You've always made the right decisions and implemented strong strategies for business success. Lead and I will follow.

Cengage2019-06-21
  2. "Working At Cengage"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly work environment Varied and interesting projects

Cons

Lots of changes in the industry

Cengage2019-09-13
  3. "No other culture and environment like it"

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

You won't find another company that makes you feel like family on your first day of work. The entire culture and environment is the number one pro about Cengage. The training and expectations are superb and the help that is all around is always willing to work together as a team to achieve goals. Cengage will motivate you to do your best for not only Cengage but yourself. They help you learn quick and you will never... be scared to ask questions.

Cons

There are no cons working at Cengage in Independence!

Cengage2019-09-11
  4. "Great working environment and even better work culture"

Current Employee - Platform Engineer in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management is transparent, encourages professional growth and will assist however they can. I have never worked at a company with a better work culture. Everyone is extremely helpful! Extremely positive team environment!

Cons

Feel as though there could be more training class

Cengage2019-09-11
  5. "Great Company, Better People."

Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cengage is consistently rated one of the best places to work and it's clear to see why... Good benefits, a focus in employee well-being, and people who are invested in your professional and personal success.

Cons

None to report so far.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Tbd in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

You work with a number of very smart and driven people that are passionate about what the company is doing--benefiting the lives of millions of learners. Flexible working hours and a good work-life balance Great culture where creativity is encouraged Cengage really is a place where your voice is heard and you can make an impact

Cons

There are still some improvements to be made with the company's benefits and also adjusting internal equity issues, especially in the tech space. The company needs to be more competitive with compensation in order to hire and retain top tech talent they need to get to the next level.

Advice to Management

Be more competitive when it comes to compensation. You have to find a way to pay market rate for the talent you need, or you will not be able to hire the talent you need. This needs to trickle down from senior leadership to HR and Finance in order to fix the issue.

Cengage2019-08-21
  7. "Amazing Company doing Great Things"

Current Employee - Senior District Manager in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Management is very transparent and approachable at all levels. The culture is very positive and collaborative. The vision from the top down to truly make a difference in the lives of students is remarkable.

Cons

The only con would be the stress of "rush" times but it is just that much more rewarding after we get through it together.

Advice to Management

Keep putting the student learners first and driving us all to do more together.

Cengage2019-08-20
  8. "Transparent, Positive Change, Excellent People!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management is transparent. There is a lot of change but in a good way! I have never worked for a company with better people. Everyone is extremely helpful! Extremely positive team environment.

Cons

There are "Rush" times of year where there is a significant influx of customer requests at once and a million things that need to be done. This happens about twice a year in Fall and Spring start ups. You are made to juggle a thousand tasks and everyone is busy. But as long as you know how to manage your time and set expectations with customers ahead of time it really isn't that bad.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting staff. Support them in their growth and advancement opportunities. Its always best to lift them up instead of trying to hold them in one place.

Cengage2019-08-16

Cengage Response

August 27, 2019CEO

Thank you for leaving such a positive review about your experience. As you know, I believe so strongly in being transparent with employees; you’ve likely heard me say this before: transparency builds trust, trust builds confidence, confidence builds performance. Someone said this ...

9. "Great Place with Amazing People!"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cengage has amazing people and it's one of the many reasons it's an awesome place to work. People are understanding, willing to listen to new ideas, able to admit when they are wrong, and always have the desire to learn new things.

Cons

There is a lot of change at Cengage, and depending on who you are it might not be the environment for you. If you love change and are able to work with a level of ambiguity, there is no better place to be!

Cengage2019-08-15
  10. "Flexible, Great Place to Learn and Transparent Leadership"

Current Employee - Researcher in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cengage has been a great place for me to learn. Starting off at an entry level position six years ago, I have been able to progress my career greatly at Cengage. I find that the vast majority of my coworkers are interesting, engaged people, and they've helped me develop a career path I'm excited to be on. Cengage has also been very flexible with my work/life balance, which I appreciate. As a number of... reviews have mentioned, we have seen our fair shares of reorganizations. As an industry that's very much in flux, I think that makes sense. Additionally, I think the trend line of the reorganizations has been generally positive -- I feel like most of the changes that have been made over the last year are in the right direction. The current leadership is very open about what has worked and what hasn't and taken appropriate action if we've gone down a path that didn't work out.

Cons

When I started out in an entry level position 6 years ago (Product Assistant), the salary was very challenging to live on -- esp. in Boston where I worked and lived at the time. As far as I can tell, the salary range hasn't gone up significantly since then.

Advice to Management

Pay Product Assistants a higher wage

Cengage2019-08-12