Cengage Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael Hansen

1,006 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management who only care about KPIs and metrics (in 67 reviews)

• sometimes lack work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I didn't know what "corporate culture" meant until I worked at Cengage."

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*Truly a transparent work environment. From the CEO to the sales team, everyone has access to each other, is encouraged to provide honest feedback at all times, and is rewarded for having new ideas (even if... or especially if they are audacious and radical ones).

*The mission is clear and is felt throughout the organization. We work to promote student success. Period. The products we make are the WHAT, but our mission focuses on the WHY. We believe in education.

*Although Cengage has been through some difficult times in the past 5 or so years (as has the entire publishing industry), our focus and strategy are solid. We have a plan, execute it daily, and adjust quickly and as necessary to ensure success. We are not stuck in the past, but are moving forward with strategic vision and bold ideas. We are not afraid of, but rather empowered by the changes in this market.

*Employees are valued, supported, and rewarded for their hard work. I've never encountered a corporate "family" before Cengage... but this is just that.

*Parental leave policy is industry-leading for both mothers & fathers. Stellar.

Cons

The industry and the face of higher education are changing and with that comes a certain amount of uncertainty. Cengage has created a strong strategy for not only weathering the storm, but actually becoming stronger because of it. That said, there have been several re-orgs in the past 3-5 years in order to get the "right people in the right seats on the bus." But if you believe in the mission and work hard to be a valuable member on your team, you can feel very secure that you will have a place at Cengage.

2. "Learning Consultant"

Former Employee - Learning Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Learning Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of time off during the summer because schools are out
    Decent 401k plan with 3% matching
    Autonomy and independence

Cons

A lot of upper management involvement due to distrust of middle management and anxiety over sales
    Goals are unreasonable and not adjusted based on market trends

Advice to Management

Trust middle management to lead and work on more higher initiatives instead of digging your foot at the level when your district managers can handle it.

"Great People but working in a troubled environment for several years"

Former Employee - Media Producer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Media Producer in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule/work from home. Great people to work with.

Cons

Since I started 7 years ago the past 5 years they have done HUGE layoffs every 3 months which created unease with the employees as well as a stress for those of us covering the positions that were eliminated. They ultimately started outsourcing jobs and laying off key team players.

Advice to Management

Keep consistent instead of changing directions and constantly laying off or outsourcing.

4. "Great place to grow and learn"

I worked at Cengage full-time

Pros

Fantastic colleagues at all ranges of experience

Cons

The industry itself is changing a lot so you have to be ready for changes in the company adapt

Advice to Management

Nurture your new hires and provide growth strategies for your folks who been there a while

5. "Innovations at Cengage make it a great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leading the way in making content available and accessible to students.
    Removing pricing barriers to learning.
    Listening to students and faculty to shape the future of educational materials

Cons

Rapid change can be unsettling for some.

6. "Strategic Account Manager K12"

Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cengage brings together the ideal blend of innovation in solutions, excellence in content, and a genuine dedication to the successful outcomes of the students and teachers engaging with our resources. The fabric which brings this all together is the people at Cengage. The primary factor behind my staying the years I have at Cengage is the privilege of working daily with outstanding people across the organization. Not simply people with talent and capabilities (of which there are many), but people who care for what it is we do, and are always willing to help and collaborate with one another for the mutual success of not only our organization, but also for those in education who entrust in partnering with us.

Cons

As someone who has spent my entire adult life in the Education market - from the classroom to Cengage - it can be a difficult landscape due to the unfortunate nature of funding and the lack of vision of civic leadership to elevate support for education to the proper station of priority it should hold in a free society. I feel that Cengage has taken great strides to navigate the inherent difficulties of this market - but it is a constant effort to connect with educators and work for the opportunity to show what we can do for them and their students.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the candor and communication we've had these last several years - as well as the new approaches and innovative steps we've taken to redefine our models in this market. Please stay the course and do not be deterred by any obstacles which may present themselves along the way. Fortitude - patient courage - is a great attribute for any individual and for an organization as well.

7. "Technology"

I worked at Cengage full-time

Pros

Great colleagues and work environment. Plenty of challenging projects and activities. Solid CEO providing great leadership.

Cons

Severe under-funding for required upgrades was always a problem. Limited career growth was another downside.

"Know what you're getting into..."

Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Independence, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Independence, KY

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Events like Customer Service Appreciation week, Health Fair, cafeteria. Follow school holiday closures. Well kept work environment.

Cons

Not much room for growth. Leads / Management do not like taking irate calls. You're told to give the customer whatever they want to avoid it. Clicks. Vacation blocks during peak seasons. Very stressful. Bed bugs. Horrible point system and no flexibility.

Advice to Management

Take the irate calls and stick to policy instead of making the CS rep look like an idiot!

9. "K-12 Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - K-12 Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - K-12 Sales Consultant

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Cengage Learning, our company culture is very positive, work/life balance is encouraged, working as your own CEO is a priority at Cengage. Supportive management that is always willing to listen and provide support tools. Customer satisfaction is a priority to our company and we are always focused on improving the customer experience as they use our learning solutions. We have a bright future ahead at Cengage Learning.

Cons

As we grow in digital solutions, its a challenge to keep up with the hiring and development of our employees that directly affect this aspect of our business.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on transparency in communications of where we are headed. This helps all of us engage in our mission and to be more committed. I appreciate the ways you recognize your employees. Continue to do this as we grow in numbers.

"Little room for growth, small rewards for hard work"

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the most hard working and intelligent people that I have ever met commit themselves to the product line. Flexible start time, and ability to work remotely without issue.

Cons

Long hours, raises are below rate of inflation even when 'exceeding' workplace expectation, and there is very little room for advancement. The same few people gain most of the recognition and acknowledgment of a job well done due to the ability to travel and have face-to-face time with key leadership. The reward for hard work and dedication is more work in an already overworked and understaffed environment. There is a culture of 'your reward is having a job', and in a year when the leadership has committed to retaining top talent, their solution was to implement a program where we can earn points to buy trinkets from a catalog.

Advice to Management

Learn how to reward employees when they work hard even when profits are low. Empower your people managers to find new ways to incentify high performers. Remember that not all of your employees work in Boston and San Francisco-- we'd like to see improvements to our offices, too!

Showing 1,006 of 1,059 reviews