Cengage Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0

"Miss the old times"

Current Employee - Legal in Mason, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good people, nice locations. Benefits.

Cons

Poor management who never trusted experience

Cengage2019-08-30

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Tbd in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

You work with a number of very smart and driven people that are passionate about what the company is doing--benefiting the lives of millions of learners. Flexible working hours and a good work-life balance Great culture where creativity is encouraged Cengage really is a place where your voice is heard and you can make an impact

Cons

There are still some improvements to be made with the company's benefits and also adjusting internal equity issues, especially in the tech space. The company needs to be more competitive with compensation in order to hire and retain top tech talent they need to get to the next level.

Advice to Management

Be more competitive when it comes to compensation. You have to find a way to pay market rate for the talent you need, or you will not be able to hire the talent you need. This needs to trickle down from senior leadership to HR and Finance in order to fix the issue.

Cengage2019-08-21

"Wolves in Sheep's Clothing"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fairly flexible schedules & remote working - depending on direct manager. Meeting highly educated and passionate people (senior management not included). Good place to work short term to learn the industry basics under high profile brand. Some genuine people who work hard and are a pleasure to work with, strong network. Moved to a cushy Seaport location.

Cons

Endless and meaningless reorganizations with zero transparency. Catering to under performing employees instead of rewarding strong talent. Would rather pay external consultants than employees. Those with business consultant experience are treated like Gods, extra points for ivy league graduates. Very low pay for existing employees, better to leave and come back than seek promotion. Tries to disguise themselves... as a tech company, but fail miserably on culture. Huge visible and destructive division between Product and Technology. Senior management is overpaid and out of touch with employees. Not enough women in senior management roles and making strategic decisions. Meetings about meetings to schedule meetings to discuss meetings within meetings for meetings. Sub-par process, weak tools, and failing operations leading to sub-par products - faster and cheaper always wins. Terrible open office concept that is about saving money, nothing to do with collaboration.

Advice to Management

Welcome to Ego-ville, enjoy your stay! Management is clueless as to who is actually doing the work and what employees need to succeed. The culture and public version promoted is not anywhere near the truth. The majority of people are unhappy and feel stuck, under paid, treated poorly, and forced to watch as leadership makes one mistake after another. They expect you to drink the kool-aid and get on board, no... matter how detrimental to individuals and the company as a whole. Fully expect you to give your all and remain loyal with little to no reciprocation; work/life balance can suffer tremendously. Every six months people are terrified of being laid off or re-orged out. Whats worse is they do not keep the top talent, they keep the "yes men" and truly do not value diversity of thought. If you can make a nice PowerPoint and use corporate buzzwords, you will fit in nicely. Constantly talking about making changes but they do not improve the process or company, and do not finish one effort before starting another OR reverting back to previous ways, then point fingers. This is a toxic and extremely hostile politically charged environment; if you are friends with someone, you are protected and promoted. I would not be surprised if the company dissolves within the next two years. McGraw-Hill has NO idea what they are in for with the proposed merger, especially keeping the CEO and possibly leadership team. Also note: Employees are "encouraged" to give good reviews to balance out the bad, especially just before CEO is announced as Glassdoor's Employees' Choice Award and being named Best Places to Work. Both are far from accurate.

Cengage2019-08-21

Cengage Response

August 28, 2019CEO

Thank you for your service during the past 5+ years. I agree, we do have many extremely passionate people who work at Cengage and do amazing things for students, globally, every day. As we continue to make changes to transform our company and disrupt an industry to benefit students, it is important that we are open to candid feedback like yours. While there is a lot here that I would challenge, it is fair to say that our fast-changing environment is not for everybody. I wish you the best of luck in your next endeavor.

4. "Amazing Company doing Great Things"

Current Employee - Senior District Manager in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Management is very transparent and approachable at all levels. The culture is very positive and collaborative. The vision from the top down to truly make a difference in the lives of students is remarkable.

Cons

The only con would be the stress of "rush" times but it is just that much more rewarding after we get through it together.

Advice to Management

Keep putting the student learners first and driving us all to do more together.

Cengage2019-08-20
  5. "Great company with high ethics and excellent product"

Former Employee - ANZ Sales Manager - Vocational & Professional in Sydney

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible, supportive environment with good communication channels and highly qualified and motivated SMEs always happy to assist sales. Great, inclusive travel perks and a good bonus scheme for sales people. Excellent technical support available for the many systems on which reps need to be proficient. Vice President, Higher Education leads team in a personal, kind and inspiring manner - deep understanding of... business and of people.

Cons

Base salary a bit lower than it should be and bonus scheme is stagnate in comparison to ever increasing budgets - there should be more correlation here. That said - if targets are achieved OTE is pretty good!

Cengage2019-08-16
  6. "Transparent, Positive Change, Excellent People!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management is transparent. There is a lot of change but in a good way! I have never worked for a company with better people. Everyone is extremely helpful! Extremely positive team environment.

Cons

There are "Rush" times of year where there is a significant influx of customer requests at once and a million things that need to be done. This happens about twice a year in Fall and Spring start ups. You are made to juggle a thousand tasks and everyone is busy. But as long as you know how to manage your time and set expectations with customers ahead of time it really isn't that bad.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting staff. Support them in their growth and advancement opportunities. Its always best to lift them up instead of trying to hold them in one place.

Cengage2019-08-16

Cengage Response

August 27, 2019CEO

Thank you for leaving such a positive review about your experience. As you know, I believe so strongly in being transparent with employees; you’ve likely heard me say this before: transparency builds trust, trust builds confidence, confidence builds performance. Someone said this to me more than 20 years ago, and after seeing it play out hundreds of times during my career, I still believe it to be true. And while we aren’t perfect, we are learning as we go, trying new things in an effort to improve our customers’ experience and our employees’ experience. As a Customer Success Manager, I know you are currently in one of the most intense periods of our sales cycle --- I want to thank you for all that you do for our customers, on behalf of Cengage. Thank you again for your great work!

7. "Great Place with Amazing People!"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cengage has amazing people and it's one of the many reasons it's an awesome place to work. People are understanding, willing to listen to new ideas, able to admit when they are wrong, and always have the desire to learn new things.

Cons

There is a lot of change at Cengage, and depending on who you are it might not be the environment for you. If you love change and are able to work with a level of ambiguity, there is no better place to be!

Cengage2019-08-15

"Too many changes too quickly"

Current Employee - Senior Content Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible schedules, decent benefits and vacation time, good people and solid products.

Cons

Two reorgs in one year is too much and it is difficult to keep up with all the changes. Content managers are forced to wear too many hats. They combined two separate positions, Content Developer and Content Production Manager into one role, so basically double the work for the same pay.

Advice to Management

The company has a great vision but management needs to be more realistic about expectations.

Cengage2019-08-14
  9. "Good Place To Learn The Ropes of Business"

Former Employee - Product Assistant

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office culture, supportive teams, minimal stress

Cons

Low pay, often doing the work of multiple people

Cengage2019-08-13
  10. "Flexible, Great Place to Learn and Transparent Leadership"

Current Employee - Researcher in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cengage has been a great place for me to learn. Starting off at an entry level position six years ago, I have been able to progress my career greatly at Cengage. I find that the vast majority of my coworkers are interesting, engaged people, and they've helped me develop a career path I'm excited to be on. Cengage has also been very flexible with my work/life balance, which I appreciate. As a number of... reviews have mentioned, we have seen our fair shares of reorganizations. As an industry that's very much in flux, I think that makes sense. Additionally, I think the trend line of the reorganizations has been generally positive -- I feel like most of the changes that have been made over the last year are in the right direction. The current leadership is very open about what has worked and what hasn't and taken appropriate action if we've gone down a path that didn't work out.

Cons

When I started out in an entry level position 6 years ago (Product Assistant), the salary was very challenging to live on -- esp. in Boston where I worked and lived at the time. As far as I can tell, the salary range hasn't gone up significantly since then.

Advice to Management

Pay Product Assistants a higher wage

Cengage2019-08-12