Cengage Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
  1. "Students first"

Current Employee - Facilities Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cengage makes every effort to put the students needs first. It hires smart innovative employees who generally collaborate effectively to meet the company Ethos. The work environment lets employees concentrate on their work without added distractions.

Cons

Recent changes to better reward high performance employees is a good start and should continue. 401K match % and parking/commute subsidy should be higher.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have been doing recently. Make sure employees feel as valued as the students we are supporting.

Cengage2019-08-12
  2. "Great Culture and good products but Low Pay and Constant Reorganization"

Current Employee - Product Assistant

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and great content. Some really great teams and managers who build strong relationships with team members

Cons

Lack of appreciation and benefits for the entry level employees, too many reorganizations, pay too low for the work expected

Advice to Management

Appreciate and pay assistant roles more - and create a clearer trajectory for people to move up in the company

Cengage2019-08-10
  3. "Great company to work for!!!"

Current Employee - International Tax Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent communication and transparency among the teams. People are helpful, friendly and collaborative. Work life balance is great.

Cons

Open space environment can sometimes be distracting.

Cengage2019-08-09

"Cengage - Independence, KY"

Current Employee - Customer Technical Support in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Wonderful benefits. *Great culture & general atmosphere. *Good starting wage and growth opportunity. *The 3rd shift (6:00pm - 2:00am) is the best group of people.

Cons

*The only big downside is Cengage keep attendance points, so habitually late employees or those prone to calling off regularly will run into trouble (an employer that wants employees to be at work and be on time... IMAGINE THAT) *There are a select few senior agents (only 2 of the 15-20 I've interacted with) who are extremely short and mildly condescending when "helping" newer employees.

Cengage2019-08-07
  5. "I love working here."

Current Employee - Cengage Technical Support in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are really employee oriented. Always doing something to boost moral, and really great with their employees.

Cons

Could use an updated desk phone system.

Cengage2019-08-07

"Soul sucking disguised as doing good in the world."

Former Employee - Learning Consultant in Providence, RI

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free company car/gas for personal use. Independence of being a field sales rep. I liked the people I worked directly with.

Cons

Products were not dependable and overpriced. More students were harmed financially than helped educationally by the products. Little to no product training while getting started. Encouraged to learn on your own. Goalposts were constantly moved in regards to sales goals. Sales force seemed highly political.

Advice to Management

Invest less in sales force and more in product development. The future of educational materials is open source; free products are on par if not better than "premium" products.

Cengage2019-08-02
  7. "Welcoming and Exciting Work Environment"

Current Employee - Product Development in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

The interview process lasted roughly a month and HR coordinators were excellent communicators during that period of time. On-boarding was welcoming and painless. Personally have developed a strong relationship with my manager and my production team has strong communication and collaboration. The company has a ton of employees but still manages to care for each one and provides strong benefits and flexible time off... to enable a healthy work-life balance.

Cons

Open floor-plan is a difficult adjustment but not necessarily bad. Makes you collaborate more and meet friendly people but also lacks privacy and gives the realization that you do not know many people outside your team.

Cengage2019-08-01
  8. "Amazing Company with Amazing People!"

Current Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

37.5 hours per week is considered full time. Great benefits including 4% matching 401k with several different investment options. Dental and Medical coverage benefit plans that are reasonably priced and offer flexible options for unique circumstances. Intelligent, respectful, and motivated coworkers, management, and executives. Incredible Leadership from the top down. Access to great technology that allows employees... to complete their tasks as efficiently as possible. Unlimited opportunities for growth and promotion.

Cons

Because of the fast paced environment, solutions need to be made at a very quick pace. Each day can hold a different challenge, which I personally see as a positive since I enjoy working in an environment like this. (but it's not for everyone)

Advice to Management

Continue providing outstanding leadership and guidance to your employees.

Cengage2019-07-30

Cengage Response

August 12, 2019Chief People Officer

Just wanted to drop a quick note to say thanks for sharing your experience, and I’m pleased to hear your first year is going well. There’s no question that we’re moving fast. Our mission to change the industry and innovate to help learners realize their potential through the power of education calls for an action orientation. So spread the word -- we’re always looking for more people like you who thrive in that environment!

"Lots of good work being done, good people, but SO MUCH CHANGE and instability"

Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Autonomy and ownership over the vision/strategy/roadmap for your product area -Great coworkers who are passionate about education (for the most part)

Cons

-Frequent changes in company strategy that negatively affect employees, teams, and work (re-orgs, layoffs, sudden change in strategic direction, etc..)

Cengage2019-07-26

"working at NGL--Cengage"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bear River City, UT

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My immediate manager is absolutely top notch. Great place to work. The upper management is eager to listen to our perspective as boots on the ground workers.

Cons

Salaries for virtually all sales reps is embarrassingly low.

Advice to Management

Continue to create great place to work with hands off, trusting culture. Most sales reps have worked for a number of other companies, and are so pleased to finally have this culture of trust and respect. But most sales reps. are frustrated with such low pay.

Cengage2019-07-26