Cengage Software Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

Cengage Software Developer Reviews

Updated 9 Feb 2018

3.1

"Good and Getting Better"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working at Cengage will differ a great deal depending upon which division you're in. The ed2go is in a transitional phase. While growth used to come easy, it has new competitors. Management is making changes and trying to restart growth. While the changes are challenging, they are creating opportunity.

Cons

If you're not comfortable with change, you may not be comfortable here.

Cengage2015-05-28

"Overall great experience during my tenure"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Clifton Park, NY

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Amazing group of coworkers. There was an understanding of your role and what it took to get your job done. Work/life balance was never an issue. If you needed time, it was there for you. There were lean times during the bankruptcy, but we always had the tools needed for our job functions.

Cons

Upper management. There always seemed to be the next big thing on how we will function, but never the time to see the results come to fruition. Many could see the ship sinking and priming for going public or sale by how they were eliminating people and departments. No thoughts as to how these decisions impact the broader stability of the company.

Cengage2015-03-10
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Enjoyable experience"

Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cengage

Pros

Great work life balance. Relaxed environment to get work done. Making decent strides to stay up to date in technology.

Cons

Not many. Work can get a little dull at times.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Cengage2015-01-16

"Love it here"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a pretty great place to work. There is a really diverse team of software developers here, more so than any other software company I've seen. The other employees are really fabulous and talented and friendly, and they work well together as a team. The management is encouraging, the work is interesting and feels important, and the work-life balance is better here than at any other place I have worked. Working... here, I feel respected, and productive, and I have opportunities to learn new things and broaden my skills and contribute creatively to the project. Cengage is a great place to work.

Cons

I was worried when I started that the lots of new people starting this year was a red flag, but the company's policies (like pair programming and TDD) mean that onboarding happens pretty quickly, and people become part of the team and start contributing quickly. Working at a big company as part of a big team of software developers, it's hard to see the fruits of my labor in action because I work on a relatively... small piece of the pie. I've been thinking of signing up to audit a college class so I can use one of these fancy textbooks I've been building.

Cengage2014-07-16

"I would not work here again."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Mason, OH

I worked at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

I liked the location. I lived nearby in Mason. I was a consultant, so I can't speak to benefits, salary, schedule, etc... There is lots of room for improvement

Cons

As soon as I started the senior developer left and there was no documentation. I was in a situation with unrealistic expectations and no way to get the information I needed to do my job. The management was disconnected and confused. My boss was trying harder to be a programmer, than a manager. There is not really a road map for the future. There are planned goals, but no one seems to know when or if these goals will... be achieved.I noticed that many of my colleagues there felt the same. The financial problems problems seemed to create a feeling of uncertainty about the future among the employees. There also seemed to be no potential for upward mobility. While I was there, people left because they didn't think they would ever get promoted. Overall, this was a terrible experience. If I weren't a consultant, I would have quit right away.

Advice to Management

I don't know where to begin.

Cengage2014-08-01

"Positive outlook; Awkwardly growing technical division"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My manager is excellent. He is hands off, respects his reports' autonomy and understands and is accommodating to external demands. He regularly checks in but generally stays out of the way unless we need his help. To his credit, he's built a cohesive team of highly independent reports who are self managing so they require minimal oversight. Work-life balance is very good and benefits I find to be good as well. ... For the most part I've found the work here doesn't get in the way of life, but is rather a well incorporated part of it. The work environment is casual and relaxed yet challenging, but seldom uncomfortably demanding. When we are here, we work hard, but we all "leave work" at the end of the day. The product teams I interact with are understanding and respective of our workload and very collaborative. Contractors in my group (many of whom have been with us for a long time) are regarded equally as peers. The office space is comfortable and relaxed with a number of social activities throughout the year. Much of the staff in this location occupy private offices which is a significant contribution towards productivity (particularly to engineering staff). I have worked in both a cubical and had the privilege of a private office and I personally feel much more respected having an office. Given the breadth of disciplines for which we produce products, the projects we work on can vary greatly in topic. This helps to keep things interesting. The company encourages us to seek out areas of personal interest to which we can contribute.

Cons

It feels like the technology organization within the company is still finding its footing. There have been several rounds of structural reorganization as they try to figure out where roles fit. Some individuals responsible for product development are still struggling to "think digital". -= Process =- The biggest problem I've experienced is the epidemic of subjecting digital product creation to the same work... flows used for creating books. Many (probably most) of the systems and processes originally developed for the production of book products simply do not fit with digital product development and are considerably more of a hindrance than anything else. The company needs to put more effort into streamlining the process of "publishing" digital products. We can't produce rapidly using these old methods. Time to market is always an influence but is hampered by process. -= Tools =- Similar to the problem with product creation work flows, some of us aren't producing books, we're building software. We need appropriate tools to do so. Information workers need computers that can do more than run the MS Office suite and the minimally demanding line of business programs. Graphic designers get high end Macs with huge displays. The software engineers should be getting powerful computers with lots of CPU horsepower, memory and disk space. We shovel a lot of bytes around. -= Talent acquisition =- On several occasions we have lost very good candidates due to limitations that just shouldn't be. A great software engineer is many times more productive than a mediocre one, but very seldom costs many times as much. Reasonable salaries that are a bit outside the norm shouldn't be preventing us from obtaining the best talent we can. Off site employees also should be an option. While I recognize that on premise is often best, remote excellence beats out local mediocrity any day. -= Hub office gravitation =- One of my fears is the future of the smaller offices that exist outside the big metro areas. There is a clear intent to grow the Boston and San Francisco offices. While I'm all for expanding those since they are surrounded by such great pools of talent, don't discount talent in the outlying areas. Some of the best work (as recognized by upper management) has come out of the smaller locations. -= Skill and performance enhancement =- Every year, the sales departments have conferences to boast about their performance and learn from each other. The technical departments don't have these kinds of gatherings, nor does the company send technical staffers to appropriate technical conferences to accomplish similar things (learn and share).

Advice to Management

You need to change the business management systems used for product creation to work better for digital products (not just platforms). You need to give us the appropriate tools to do our jobs. You need to acquire good talent when it's available and it might hurt a little bit. But it's worth it in the long run. You need to recognize that technical talent also need to grow their skills (often faster than many other... roles considering the speed of technological change). Encourage and support their attendance of relevant industry conferences.

Cengage2014-04-10

"I stuck with this company for far too long"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Flexible hours - Laid back management - Generally do not work past 40 hours

Cons

- Very little career development. All the good projects go to contractors - Software guys have little influence. - Brain dead business units who don't have a clue when it comes to technology - Way too much changes in upper management in the past few years

Cengage2013-06-23
  9. "Great company to work for where feedback is heard and innovation is valued"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

No micro management Flexibility to work from home Feedback is heard Continuous improvement is valued Competitive pay Many opportunities to learn new technologies

Cons

Product management needs improvement Market research needs improvement Use of new technology without justification

Advice to Management

Find out what end user really wants and where industry is moving.

Cengage2013-05-28
  10. "The best work environment I have ever experienced."

Current Employee - Agile Software Developer in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work/life balance. Competitive salary. Awesome team / collaborative / agile environment. Overall, this is a great place to work. I enjoy coming in almost every day, and I find the work interesting and challenging. I have learned more in my time at this job than in any other two jobs I can think of.

Cons

None that I can think of. It's a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work... and raise salaries a bit. I think we're slightly underpaid compared to the market.

Cengage2013-02-19