Cengage Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Cengage Software Engineer Reviews

Updated 24 Sep 2019

3.8

"Great Company Leading the Disruption of a MAJOR Industry"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management is very open to feedback and the company overall is very transparent about things. Cengage is in the midst of a merger with McGraw Hill and it is never difficult to get questions answered about this. The tech stack is very current with industry standards (Jenkins CI/CD pipelines, TDD, React.js & React Native, Microservices architecture...etc). This is a great place to gain experience early in your... career and learn from some great engineers. Plenty of opportunity for more senior roles as well! Free lunch and company wide information sharing session every other Wednesday. They fly all new hires to the HQ in Boston for three days and you get to explore the city while receiving an interactive orientation program from leadership and HR. This is generally 1-3 months after you start. The company is always looking to be candid and find ways to improve. You can generally work remotely when you need to which is super helpful. Coming from an Automotive company in the Detroit area, this company is a breath of fresh air. Things move very quickly with very little bureaucracy. The office is very laid back and many people dress down so you should feel comfortable in whatever you choose to wear to work.

Cons

Pay could be a bit more competitive in certain regions. I was only able to negotiate up to $85,000 base with a $4k sign-on bonus in the Farmington Hills, MI office having 2 years of experience. Was given excuses about internal equity as the reason the base salary could not be higher. This is decent and definitely not underpaid, but other companies in the Detroit area are a bit more competitive.

Advice to Management

Keep the same energy. Don't be afraid to pay a bit more, especially with the company currently pushing so hard to bring in more engineering talent. If you want the right people to come and stay, you have to pay them accordingly.

Cengage2019-09-24
  2. "Cengage review"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II

I have been working at Cengage full-time

Pros

Wednesday Company sponsored lunches are great

Cons

Education sector, so salaries are not that high

Cengage2019-09-16
  3. "Working At Cengage"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly work environment Varied and interesting projects

Cons

Lots of changes in the industry

Cengage2019-09-13

"A Career Dead End"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-life balance is generally good. Company hosts a few parties/events each year that are always nice.

Cons

Politics takes precedence over your ability. Don't expect a promotion or a raise unless you're friends with management.

Advice to Management

You're competing for employees as well as customers. Try to hold on to people rather than churning through them!

Cengage2019-03-21
  5. "Good company with Open Culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Nice company to work with open culture. 2. Recognition of work irrespective of hierarchies. 3. Salary as per market standards.

Cons

1. Be more creative in education world for making better solutions for Students.

Cengage2019-03-26

"Constant layoffs"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility of working from home couple of days a week.

Cons

No room for advancement. Company in constant state of reorganization.

Cengage2019-02-26

"Sounded Like My Dream Job"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Excellent work environment -Laid back WFH rules and decent work-life balance -Free snacks in the kitchen, often with leftover pizza -Most peers were nice and easy to talk to

Cons

-The entire prior engineering team for my product was fired before arrival. Other team mates were just as new as me. -Job description emphasized modern stack, actual stack was very old, clunky and no plans to upgrade. Often brought up in meetings that the business wasn’t sure if they were investing in our team’s product. -Broken deployment pipeline, server team didn’t seem to have a disaster plan in place,... Software was a ticking time bomb and wouldn’t debug locally (easily, that is) -Bulk of the work was SQL data entry and help desk style tickets. -Lack of resources behind the software we support due to lack of prior engineering team members. -The laid back WFH and work-life balance can come back to haunt you if you’re the one who is always on time to work. -On time attendance was heavily stressed for daily stand ups but never enforced.

Advice to Management

Get a hold of problems before they get out of hand. And if it’s too late, find a way to keep the better of the tribal knowledge on payroll full time for an adequate period of time. At least until the error logging system isn’t filing away 20 errors per minute.

Cengage2019-02-01

"High turnover rates and death marches"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

You most likely will work with nice and friendly people. Company sponsored social events. Ability to work from home 1-2 days a week.

Cons

Death marshes all the time. Very, very high turnover rate among GPT (technology). Extremely low merit increases in the past 2 years. Company considers 1% merit increase as normal and 2% for exceeding expectations employees. Culture where Contractors and Professional Services people are treated better than Full Time Employees.

Advice to Management

Stop replacing FTEs with contractors Send all those high payed contractors home and grown your own engineering department. Invest in people. Stop those death marshes where people are working 60 hrs a week

Cengage2018-12-05
  9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nowadays, all companies preach work/life balance, treat your employees well, etc. This is the first place that I've worked that actually practices it. They treat us well and seem to care that we have a life outside of work.

Cons

The GPT Start Program training was great but I had been here about 5 moths before I got to go to it. I was on a 3 month contract to hire and after getting hired it took a couple of months to get to go to it. Having the training earlier would have been much better.

Cengage2018-11-07
  10. "Happy to be a part of Cengage"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Manager

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cengage is, to me, an example of how good company culture leads to high quality products and services. People come in happy and are happy to do the best job they can...which doubles-down on the great culture.

Cons

I spent a long time at other companies before I found Cengage.

Advice to Management

Get the word out. Cengage doesn't seem to have the name recognition, as some other companies do, when it comes to being a destination employer. When I came to Cengage the only way I found the job was through searching out learning technology companies. Get local with your job postings!

Cengage2018-07-27