KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Cengage Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Jan 13, 2021

4.1
Pros
  • "Work Life Balance and flexibility is key(in 174 reviews)

• "Number one is the great people I worked with(in 116 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Cengage Unlimited isn't holding up to the pedestal it was put on by upper management(in 73 reviews)

• "To many reorgs when company numbers aren't met(in 41 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cengage and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

They have not made money in 6 years - after they went went bankrupt

Dec 30, 2020 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

The Executive Team are either incompetent or crooks - sometimes both

4 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Pros outweigh cons

Jan 13, 2021 - Project Editor in Farmington Hills, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work hours (within reason), work from home one day a week, great benefits. Number one is the great people I worked with.

Cons

At the time I left (2015) the work-from-home program was discontinued, which contributed to my exit. At one time, this company was offering generous work from home policies (much more than just one day per week) when no one else was. This is a huge benefit that should not have been removed. In a post-COVID world, however, I'm sure it will return (it really should).

Cengage Response

CEO

Thank you for your many years of dedication to Cengage and helping to advance learning for all students. The Covid-19 pandemic has forced us to re-evaluate most parts of our business - including how we continue to support our customers while most employees work from home. I am proud to share that most employees tell us they are as engaged now as they were when working in an office with their colleagues. Looking ahead, we are reimagining our collaborative space. I appreciate that you mentioned your former colleagues in your feedback and I agree, the people that make up Cengage are unmatched. Best of luck and thank you for sharing your feedback. Michael

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Amazing Culture

Dec 9, 2020 - Account Executive in La Crescent, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing culture, great people, great products and wonderful service

Cons

Lack of upward mobility without relocation

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great place to work

Dec 10, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of room for personal growth and to impact the business. Absolutely great people to work with

Cons

Constantly shifting priorities mean that any plans past 6 months and likely to change

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Oct 21, 2020 - Senior Financial Analyst in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and a great mission.

Cons

Tough industry and a challenging time.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee

Top heavy under constant reorg to save money

May 11, 2020 - Sales and Marketing Manager in Albany, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and mission. The culture is mostly positive. Good benefits and fair pay.

Cons

Constant layoffs are horrific. Cliques and favorites get to stay, not those that work hardest or have the most experience (in fact, they go first because they are paid more). Extremely top heavy which hurts as they lay off the workers. Everyone has to take on more work to make up for those fired (with no increase in pay). Recently gave everyone a 20% pay cut and stopped 4501K match. Future looks bleak.

19 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

I have worked for Cengage for more than 7 years, and love it.

Aug 26, 2020 - Senior Product Specialist in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with on a daily basis.

Cons

None that I can think of at this time.

Cengage Response

CEO

It is great to read that you have had such a positive experience during your time with Cengage. I agree, we do have great people that we get to work with on a daily basis. I appreciate your positive outlook about your experience during the past five years. If you would like to share any additional feedback about your experience, please reach out to me directly at any time. Best, Michael

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Remarkable culture and team

Mar 16, 2020 - Technical Product Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Investment in culture is obvious and very effective. I'm particularly impressed with how transparent senior leaders are about the challenges and opportunities the company faces. And despite working in an industry that's shrinking overall, the company is attracting great people and making really ambitious moves.

Cons

The technical complexity, given that the company has grown through a lot of acquisitions and shifted into a digital business model decades into its existence, is a consistent challenge.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

turmoil

Jun 3, 2020 - Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

good work life balance, nice new office. some genuinely great people work here

Cons

constant, CONSTANT, reorgs. no job security. low salary compared to industry standards. promotions go to YES men and women. cengage unlimited is a failure (unfortunately)

8 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

It Was Good Until It Wasn't

Dec 12, 2019 - Learning Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The working atmosphere was great. Great people throughout the company at all levels. People enjoyed being there. If you hit bonus, nice payouts.

Cons

Cengage Unlimited isn't holding up to the pedestal it was put on by upper management. Too much money being lost every quarter has turned it into a not so fun place to be at. Lots of cuts over the years, especially last month has turned it into a skeleton crew doing the same amount of work, if not more.

8 people found this review helpful