Cengage "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Cengage Reviews

Updated Jan 23, 2020

3.8
  1. "Welcoming Place, Interesting Work"

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with. Plenty of training opportunities. No one ever turns you away if you have questions or need guidance with anything. Awesome benefits if you're a commuter and even low-level full-time employees have access to excellent benefits.

Cons

There are a billion systems to learn and the it seems like training is always happening, but you still have to ask around. Not a lot of continuity across methods.

Advice to Management

I can see that you're trying to streamline training and get answers out, but why do we have to use a billion systems and why are some training documents 5 years out of date?

Cengage2017-05-02

"Great people, focused on students, very collaborative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people that make coming to work every day enjoyable, very collaborative environment where people work together to get things done and will go above and beyond. People work very hard with a laser focus on students and are passionate about improving education. flexible work environment, with good work/life balance. I've enjoyed a lot of opportunity to do new and different things, stretch myself and really grow my career. Solid benefits.

Cons

There's a bit of change, so you have to be ok with that. I know change has been harder for some areas, than others. However, in technology, you have to constantly change to keep up and improve. I wish annual salary increases could be ratcheted up even just a little bit more! Market/industry conditions are challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, we have come a long way. Constantly communicate about our top objectives so that we always know where we're going.

Cengage2017-04-07

"Too many cooks in the kitchen. Strategic vision is out of touch with reality."

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I worked there, there was a lot of great people who I enjoyed working with. Some people tried very hard to keep the atmosphere fun.

Cons

Turnover. This company doesn't listen to smart people, and lots of them leave. On top of that, the company has weeded out a lot of good people through layoffs. Many of the people left are either jaded and unenthusiastic, or incompetent. Strategic vision. The company has way too many 'software architects' and technical managers who are hyper focused on playing with 'cool technologies' and designing complicated systems. The company spends millions of dollars engineering products and systems that nobody uses and contribute nothing to the company's portfolio while completely ignoring the problems that actually need to be solved for the sake of the products that actually have customers. The architects find 'pet' technologies and will do whatever it takes to shoe horn those technologies into anything they can. They're constantly trying to rewrite things in React or Cassandra or their homemade network proxy instead of fixing the performance issues users complain about or implementing features that would help the company stay competitive. Everything gets outsourced. QA gets outsourced, infrastructure gets outsourced, IT gets outsourced, core product development gets outsourced. The important work gets outsourced to people who don't do a good job, while the company's direct employees get allocated to building non-core business software that could have just been bought off the shelf. Pay increases are low, and the best way to get a raise/promotion is to get another job offer. The company has too many expensive, unproductive layers of management, and the people doing the actual work don't get rewarded for it; the management above them does instead.

Advice to Management

When your furnace stops working because you haven't been servicing it, the solution isn't too demolish the entire house and start over. These Grand ideas for the next generation platform for your products will take too long to reach maturity, keep getting cancelled, keep getting delayed, keep getting re-envisioned. In the meantime​, your customers are fed up with what's already out the because of problems you could have fixed 3 times over by now if you weren't too busy playing with new technologies.

Cengage2017-04-16

"Great people"

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The best thing about working at Cengage is that there are some really great people working there. They offer good benefits and competitive salaries for the industry. The San Francisco office has bike parking within the building and is convenient to public transportation.

Cons

The change from print to digital has been a very slow process.

Cengage2017-03-23

"Being sold or outright folding"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some really great people. Most of them are now gone.

Cons

Product Managers work for the finance department. No real product development work goes on. Employees have grown so accustomed to layoffs or smart people resigning that they no longer acknowledge the existence of past employees. It is an Orwellian nightmare at its finest. Managers are yes-men/women who retaliate against employees who question the system. Many managers push out great employees by making them miserable so that they quit to avoid layoffs with severance. A prominent leader has recently stepped down and employees are hoping this will change the miserable culture, but by now so much is systemic with legacy cronies still in their position...the outlook for culture improvement is bleak. MindTap is destroying Cengage.

Advice to Management

All new management needed...top to bottom. Current management is so full of narcissists that they wouldn't listen to any advice Glassdoor poster's offer. You see, they know better. Gaslighting is the order of the day. They just don't care. We are all paying for their retirement. HR is working for management. They will not help you.

Cengage2017-02-17

"Continually trying to improve"

I have been working at Cengage

Pros

Great people, student focus, belief in education not just profit.

Cons

Outdated systems slow everything down, maxtrixed management means people can mess you up and you have little or no recourse.

Cengage2017-01-24
  7. "Momentum"

I have been working at Cengage full-time

Pros

Great people. Terrific Leadership. Focused and committed to winning. Transition can be tough, but people who are able to preserver during difficult times will flourish. The cream has and always will rise to the top! Promotions are common. There is no lack of people with great track records at Cengage.

Cons

Challenging industry. There is no silver bullet. We need to believe in the plan and trust the process. Be patient!

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate our products, services, and processes for doing work.

Cengage2016-11-04

"Cengage Comeback"

Executive Director in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Cengage

Pros

Great people, emerging focus on digital transformation, and identifying new markets for educational products and services. Excellent products and assets.

Cons

The problems at Cengage are endemic to the business. Don't be forlorn, be fore-armed. The education marketplace is undergoing rapid change and disruption. Cengage needs to stick to its plan, recognizing that faster comes when we retain focus on the student, the customer, the end user.

Advice to Management

Nurture an inquisitive culture. Ratchet down the short term focus on revenue and results. Identify plans to make substantive continuous improvement.

Cengage2016-09-22

"Frequent reorganizations"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, great products, customers who truly care about improving the learning experience.

Cons

Frequent reorganizations and layoffs damage morale and productivity, and often target older, seasoned employees . Product and pricing decisions often assume that customers will be attracted to the most innovative technology, even if it is priced much higher than the competition and does not satisfy core market requirements.

Advice to Management

If maximizing revenue and profit is the main concern, then it is good business to keep good employees happy, avoid excessive reorganizations, and value experience.

Cengage2016-09-15

"Every read the lyrics to Taylor Swift's "Mean"?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Cengage full-time

Pros

The people at the lower levels are fantastic. Smart, friendly, great people to work with. The work life balance is good too.

Cons

Literally, every time I got off the phone with my boss I would find myself humming the words to Taylor Swift's song "Mean". Every call put me on the defensive, and really made me unmotivated to do good work. And I talked to at least 6 others who felt exactly the same and came to me for advise!

Advice to Management

Coaching is great, when it is constructive. Get out of attack mode. People will actually want to stay and work hard.

Cengage2016-09-21