Cengage "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Cengage Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 11, 2019

3.9
Pros
Cons
  • "In some cases, they even created "new positions" for people who were personal friends with upper management(in 73 reviews)

• "To many reorgs when company numbers aren't met(in 37 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work-life balance. Kind people.

Cons

Slow to change, but improving.

Advice to Management

Keep up the innovation

Cengage2019-10-27

"Rewarded for good work"

Current Employee - Senior Learning Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are a part of a team whose success is tied to your success. This means that you have a built in support system of people working to make you better and working to help you find new customers. Even if you are not growing on your own, your team is there to help you build up your accounts. Our territory size is nice. I find myself home almost every night.

Cons

The work-life balance can tip the wrong way sometimes. Most days I spend working on campuses across the state and then have to work on my computer late into the night to keep up with emails and planning. I can say that this extra work has turned in to extra sales commissions for myself though.

Cengage2019-09-19

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Tbd in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

You work with a number of very smart and driven people that are passionate about what the company is doing--benefiting the lives of millions of learners. Flexible working hours and a good work-life balance Great culture where creativity is encouraged Cengage really is a place where your voice is heard and you can make an impact

Cons

There are still some improvements to be made with the company's benefits and also adjusting internal equity issues, especially in the tech space. The company needs to be more competitive with compensation in order to hire and retain top tech talent they need to get to the next level.

Advice to Management

Be more competitive when it comes to compensation. You have to find a way to pay market rate for the talent you need, or you will not be able to hire the talent you need. This needs to trickle down from senior leadership to HR and Finance in order to fix the issue.

Cengage2019-08-21
  4. "Flexible, Great Place to Learn and Transparent Leadership"

Current Employee - Researcher in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cengage has been a great place for me to learn. Starting off at an entry level position six years ago, I have been able to progress my career greatly at Cengage. I find that the vast majority of my coworkers are interesting, engaged people, and they've helped me develop a career path I'm excited to be on. Cengage has also been very flexible with my work/life balance, which I appreciate. As a number of... reviews have mentioned, we have seen our fair shares of reorganizations. As an industry that's very much in flux, I think that makes sense. Additionally, I think the trend line of the reorganizations has been generally positive -- I feel like most of the changes that have been made over the last year are in the right direction. The current leadership is very open about what has worked and what hasn't and taken appropriate action if we've gone down a path that didn't work out.

Cons

When I started out in an entry level position 6 years ago (Product Assistant), the salary was very challenging to live on -- esp. in Boston where I worked and lived at the time. As far as I can tell, the salary range hasn't gone up significantly since then.

Advice to Management

Pay Product Assistants a higher wage

Cengage2019-08-12
  5. "Great company to work for!!!"

Current Employee - International Tax Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent communication and transparency among the teams. People are helpful, friendly and collaborative. Work life balance is great.

Cons

Open space environment can sometimes be distracting.

Cengage2019-08-09
  6. "Welcoming and Exciting Work Environment"

Current Employee - Product Development in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

The interview process lasted roughly a month and HR coordinators were excellent communicators during that period of time. On-boarding was welcoming and painless. Personally have developed a strong relationship with my manager and my production team has strong communication and collaboration. The company has a ton of employees but still manages to care for each one and provides strong benefits and flexible time off... to enable a healthy work-life balance.

Cons

Open floor-plan is a difficult adjustment but not necessarily bad. Makes you collaborate more and meet friendly people but also lacks privacy and gives the realization that you do not know many people outside your team.

Cengage2019-08-01
  7. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Cengage full-time

Pros

Comfortable dress code, good work life balance

Cons

Could have more vacation days for employees with more experience

Cengage2019-07-24

"Great culture, increasing pay is an opportunity but they're working on that."

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture Atmosphere Ethos Great first step Benefits Work- life balance Family- like atmosphere Non- micro managing style If you buy- in and go to work with a passionate attitude you will succeed.

Cons

Salary Very senior individuals in higher positions

Advice to Management

Pay is increasing, that's all they need to focus on. They do a great job!

Cengage2019-07-17
  9. "Love this company!"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Making a difference. Work/life balance. Mission.

Cons

Sometimes we try to boil the ocean.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, and continue to work on mission alignment.

Cengage2019-06-06

"Good Company"

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company really does care about students and making learning affordable. The have a decent work/life balance environment.

Cons

Some of their business decisions are short-sighted, so there are a lot of reorgs, which result in layoffs. They are starting to pull back on the ability to work remotely, which may limit their ability to attract and retain quality talent.

Cengage2019-04-14