Cenovus Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Cenovus President and Chief Executive Officer Alex Pourbaix
Alex Pourbaix

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, good work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great people, very friendly and helpful (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Very poor decisions by upper management (in 25 reviews)

• Mandatory travel schedules have several created a low in many staffs work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

"Needs to streamline processes"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

- Great people, good work-life balance.
    - They really do seem to care about your life outside of work.

Cons

- Hard to change the processes in place
    - Not a very mobile company

Advice to Management

- Make it easier to get ideas up to senior leaders
    - Try to fix a few of the silos that exist within the company (and the in-group/out-group relationships)

"Specialist"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Foster Creek, NC
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Foster Creek, NC

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is ok. The vacation was good. The benefits were satisfactory. The people you directly work with are ok

Cons

When children manage the site management you have a problem. These kids bully the people below them. The field managers are losers in real life and seem to take it out in the people under them in working conditions by bullying people. You can't give a geek power because he will bully people the same way he was bullied his whole life, mostly for revenge. On top of all the bullying they are all incompetent in there rolls. You can't run a site or a company with this kind of culture that starts at the top. Bye top I mean site management.

Advice to Management

Alex there are competent personnel on site! You need to weed out the geeks and Bullies. With the new rat line in place these people will brought to your attention.

"poorly managed"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

good work life balance overall

Cons

poorly managed, many silos, lots of nepotism and in-crowd favoritism.

Advice to Management

get a clue

"Feels like I’m back in high school and I’m not in the in crowd"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

Paycheques come on time. Accepted the job as it seemed like an exciting new opportunity at the time. Boy was I wrong

Cons

I haven’t been bullied this badly since high school. People in leadership roles are totally under qualified and are threatened by anyone who is smarter than them. Was warned that I better not speak up or I would be fired or worse yet even when I wasn’t to blame that they would blame me for their mistakes. Oh and HR just because you say it in a nice way doesn’t make you nice

Advice to Management

If you don’t follow the Our Cenovus behaviours how can you expect anyone else to. Anyone in a leadership role in hr needs to go. Talk to the people on the ground. everyone is too scared to say anything because if you challenge a leader you are all of the sudden the problem and are fired

5. "Administrative Assistant"

Pros

Good vision and mission of the company

Cons

A lot of contractors instead of hiring employees

"Would not recommend working here"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

The benefits were great as were the vacation/ time off.

People were top notch especially in the field.

Cons

There was no career path or ability to move upward or cross train into other areas despite the empty promises made in yearly reviews.

There was not a balance between men and women in senior roles or leadership positions. It truly is one of those "good ole boys" companies that does little to none to promote or encourage women.

There was a marked difference between how I witnessed women engineers / PMs and analysts and the constant questioning or cross examining of their work.

I always thought I would return to the company but now that I am working for an organization that actively promotes women, I would never go back or recommend this company to others.

I had an opportunity to voice my complaints and gave many examples but to my knowledge nothing was done to change or improve. Disappointing.

The manager I had was new and was put in the role because he was in the right place at the right time - he didn't have the appropriate experience, training, education or aptitude to be in a leadership position. I left because I was tired of being belittled or constantly scratching my head over conflicting directions.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your organizational structure and see why you are not attracting women talent in senior roles (not just HR and Communications what does your Engineering, IT, and R&D look like?)

Stop with the table banging/ "dragons den" cross examination - its archaic, insulting and ineffective.

"Fall From Grace"

I have been working at Cenovus full-time

Pros

The benefits and vacation time. Frontline workers and managers are great people to work with.

Cons

Year after year asset teams beat management expectations on production and costs, yet frontline employees are passed over for recognition. It use to be exciting to work for Cenovus but after the honeymoon phase, it's become clear that the executive team is not competent enough to manage a company. Case in point: "Double NAV by 2015" was a corporate goal that got swept under the rug as 2015 came and went without even coming close to attaining the goal. Meanwhile, the org structure continued to get to top heavy while fattening the wallets of senior management.

This review is not a function of market conditions, the market conditions are just magnifying the management team's shortfall's and the company's deficiencies (top-heaviness and expensive support groups).

Advice to Management

Reward the employees fairly. In a low price environment, quit spending money on expensive corporate groups that cannot create immediate value.

"Great company when first joined in 2012, then it went downhill with the oil price"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cenovus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a fresh grad in 2012, Cenovus was a super great company. It provided tons of training and EIT development opportunities. Lots of hands-on experiences in the field to explore the Canadian oil sands industry.

Cons

Ever since oil price started declining in late 2013, the company has been cutting budget and laying people off. Just recently, the major shake-up in upper management has brought doubts to the public whether this company would survive or not.

9. "I love it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pro would be the benefits and the pay. The culture is changing which is great. Engagement is coming back. Love the new CEO.

Cons

I honestly don’t have anything bad to say. It’s a changing company that I am happy to work for. The new CEO is making good changes.

"Calgary Full time Staff"

Current Employee - Full Time Staff in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Full Time Staff in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The new CEO is saying it like it is and taking decisive action. Starting at the top. For many of us this is long over due. He asked for direct constructive input. I bet he got a ton of good stuff from people who still care. I have no doubt he’s going to act on it.

Cons

The next three months will be tough. For sure, it’s hard to be radically honest and also be looking out your job.

Advice to Management

For the sake of all us full time staff, get aligned with the new guy. No more games.