Cenovus Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Cenovus CEO Alex Pourbaix
Alex Pourbaix
Pros
Cons
  • "Just recently, the major shake-up in upper management has brought doubts to the public whether this company would survive or not(in 26 reviews)

• "less then stellar camp even within Cenovus organization and the food is subpar(in 21 reviews)

1. "Administrative Assistant"

I worked at Cenovus

Pros

Good vision and mission of the company

Cons

A lot of contractors instead of hiring employees

Cenovus2017-08-08
    • "It was an okay place to be"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

There are good people and good teams, potential for development if you are looking for it.

Cons

Subject to the boom and bust of oil prices.

Cenovus2018-12-03

"Cenovus is good to work for."

I have been working at Cenovus full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good salaries, benefits and work-life balance. Good people to work with for the most part. I hope the changes that they made with all the cuts lead to something good!!

Cons

Takes too long to implement changes to Engineering documents. Too many cuts in certain departments and not enough in other departments.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff in certain area work teams that are lacking. One person cannot do one job effectively or efficiently.

Cenovus2018-05-08

"Needs to streamline processes"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

- Great people, good work-life balance. - They really do seem to care about your life outside of work.

Cons

- Hard to change the processes in place - Not a very mobile company

Advice to Management

- Make it easier to get ideas up to senior leaders - Try to fix a few of the silos that exist within the company (and the in-group/out-group relationships)

Cenovus2017-12-08

"poorly managed"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

good work life balance overall

Cons

poorly managed, many silos, lots of nepotism and in-crowd favoritism.

Advice to Management

get a clue

Cenovus2017-12-14

"Feels like I’m back in high school and I’m not in the in crowd"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

Paycheques come on time. Accepted the job as it seemed like an exciting new opportunity at the time. Boy was I wrong

Cons

I haven’t been bullied this badly since high school. People in leadership roles are totally under qualified and are threatened by anyone who is smarter than them. Was warned that I better not speak up or I would be fired or worse yet even when I wasn’t to blame that they would blame me for their mistakes. Oh and HR just because you say it in a nice way doesn’t make you nice

Advice to Management

If you don’t follow the Our Cenovus behaviours how can you expect anyone else to. Anyone in a leadership role in hr needs to go. Talk to the people on the ground. everyone is too scared to say anything because if you challenge a leader you are all of the sudden the problem and are fired

Cenovus2017-11-21

"Would not recommend working here"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

The benefits were great as were the vacation/ time off. People were top notch especially in the field.

Cons

There was no career path or ability to move upward or cross train into other areas despite the empty promises made in yearly reviews. There was not a balance between men and women in senior roles or leadership positions. It truly is one of those "good ole boys" companies that does little to none to promote or encourage women. There was a marked difference between how I witnessed women engineers / PMs and analysts...

Advice to Management

Take a look at your organizational structure and see why you are not attracting women talent in senior roles (not just HR and Communications what does your Engineering, IT, and R&D look like?) Stop with the table banging/ "dragons den" cross examination - its archaic, insulting and ineffective.

Cenovus2016-11-05

"Fall From Grace"

I have been working at Cenovus full-time

Pros

The benefits and vacation time. Frontline workers and managers are great people to work with.

Cons

Year after year asset teams beat management expectations on production and costs, yet frontline employees are passed over for recognition. It use to be exciting to work for Cenovus but after the honeymoon phase, it's become clear that the executive team is not competent enough to manage a company. Case in point: "Double NAV by 2015" was a corporate goal that got swept under the rug as 2015 came and went without even...

Advice to Management

Reward the employees fairly. In a low price environment, quit spending money on expensive corporate groups that cannot create immediate value.

Cenovus2016-07-12
      • "Challenging place to work"

Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Cenovus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are great and difficult to leave

Cons

Politics are very present and can be overwhelming

Cenovus2019-06-12

"Safety Culture Ruled by Fear"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

Good benefits, field location meant virtually no politics and less bureaucracy than in Calgary. Great work/life balance.

Cons

CVE had an exceptional culture (in the conventional field sites) except when it came to safety. Safety was ruled by fear. God help you if there was a minor low potential near miss or incident onsite. Calgary upper management was coming at you with a vengeance. It was utterly disgusting. It created a culture of fear panic and resentment. Funny thing was, we used it as a learning and educational tool with all vendors and...

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach when it comes to how to treat colleagues and apply that to CVE's safety culture. Rather than ruling by fear, take a hint from field staff on how they RESPECTIVELY WORK TOGETHER with vendors to foster a positive safety culture.

Cenovus2019-06-01