Cenovus Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Cenovus President & Chief Executive Officer Brian C. Ferguson
Brian C. Ferguson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This ends up creating an environment where most weeks are only 4 days long and leaves a lot of time for work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Great people, very friendly and helpful (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of direction for upper management (in 20 reviews)

• Poor benefits, poor senior management, constantly making changes because of the internal political power struggles (in 18 reviews)

1. "Administrative Assistant"

Pros

Good vision and mission of the company

Cons

A lot of contractors instead of hiring employees

"Would not recommend working here"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

The benefits were great as were the vacation/ time off.

People were top notch especially in the field.

Cons

There was no career path or ability to move upward or cross train into other areas despite the empty promises made in yearly reviews.

There was not a balance between men and women in senior roles or leadership positions. It truly is one of those "good ole boys" companies that does little to none to promote or encourage women.

There was a marked difference between how I witnessed women engineers / PMs and analysts and the constant questioning or cross examining of their work.

I always thought I would return to the company but now that I am working for an organization that actively promotes women, I would never go back or recommend this company to others.

I had an opportunity to voice my complaints and gave many examples but to my knowledge nothing was done to change or improve. Disappointing.

The manager I had was new and was put in the role because he was in the right place at the right time - he didn't have the appropriate experience, training, education or aptitude to be in a leadership position. I left because I was tired of being belittled or constantly scratching my head over conflicting directions.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your organizational structure and see why you are not attracting women talent in senior roles (not just HR and Communications what does your Engineering, IT, and R&D look like?)

Stop with the table banging/ "dragons den" cross examination - its archaic, insulting and ineffective.

"Fall From Grace"

I have been working at Cenovus full-time

Pros

The benefits and vacation time. Frontline workers and managers are great people to work with.

Cons

Year after year asset teams beat management expectations on production and costs, yet frontline employees are passed over for recognition. It use to be exciting to work for Cenovus but after the honeymoon phase, it's become clear that the executive team is not competent enough to manage a company. Case in point: "Double NAV by 2015" was a corporate goal that got swept under the rug as 2015 came and went without even coming close to attaining the goal. Meanwhile, the org structure continued to get to top heavy while fattening the wallets of senior management.

This review is not a function of market conditions, the market conditions are just magnifying the management team's shortfall's and the company's deficiencies (top-heaviness and expensive support groups).

Advice to Management

Reward the employees fairly. In a low price environment, quit spending money on expensive corporate groups that cannot create immediate value.

4. "Administrative Professional"

Former Employee - Administrative Professional Officer in Brooks, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Administrative Professional Officer in Brooks, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cenovus (More than a year)

Pros

Loved working with my cenovus team, my supervisor was always very helpful and was a great mentor

Cons

Got let go when the economy went downhill - but that is not really a reflection of the company.

Advice to Management

You have great workers out in the field with a lot of knowledge; communication with them is key.

5. "Mgmt"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

good people and great assets

Cons

Human Resources and functional organization

Advice to Management

start over

"Foster Creek SAGD"

Current Employee - Plant Operator in Cold Lake, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Plant Operator in Cold Lake, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Extensive learning opportunities & great hands on experience.

Cons

New & young crew & they don't promote from within. Can be very political.

Advice to Management

Keep looking to improve!

"Pays the bills"

Current Employee - Maintenance Electrician
    Current Employee - Maintenance Electrician

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic boots on the ground people. Comfortable field accommodations. Many people trying are to rise up despite constant suppression and push-back.

Cons

Constant state of change. Virtual vacuum in the leadership. Tons of amateur mistakes and decisions, worker happiness and satisfaction frequently overlooked. Lots of quasi-safety efforts. If you're not sitting at the right table for supper then you're going nowhere with your career, regardless of your abilities.

Advice to Management

Morale is low across the board. Be the change you want to see.

"Enjoyed my time"

I worked at Cenovus full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and compensation was good
    Work was always interesting
    The people were excellent

Cons

Management has a lack of vision - or does not want to share vision
    Selling assets makes Cenovus a one-trick pony

"Constant Change"

Current Employee - Group Leader in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Group Leader in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits. A number of talented
    individuals. Management focus and willingness to embrace innovation to improve efficiency and improve bottom line. Commitment to give back to the community.

Cons

Constant reorganization. Some individuals promoted to leadership positions but lack emotional intelligence and authenticity - more focused on 'me' vs 'we'.

Advice to Management

Recognize the pace and number of changes is impacting staff and leading to 'change fatigue'. Some change can't be controlled, but try to better manage what is in your control.

"Constant Change due to Political Power Struggles"

Current Employee - Manager in Cold Lake, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Cold Lake, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay can be decent, vacation allowance is fair, not a lot else to say here

Cons

Poor benefits, poor senior management, constantly making changes because of the internal political power struggles. This has caused field employees to lose all confidence in them. They had a chance to correct things following the employee survey, but chose to move the identified problems to other areas and create more chaos. The newer guys running the field are proving to be even worse. There is NO promotions in the field unless you have friends in Calgary. Cronyism is king in Cenovus, and senior management no longer even hides it. Almost a virtual certainty that when the board chooses a new CEO he will be bringing in his friends. Very poor judgement with large transactions, held AGM and never told anyone about the Conoco deal. Surprised everyone with it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees for once. You've had 2 surveys that named the problems, yet you refuse to deal with them, the field employees have ZERO confidence in Calgary management. The bets are being taken on when Cenovus goes under...