Cenovus Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Cenovus President & Chief Executive Officer Brian C. Ferguson
Brian C. Ferguson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This ends up creating an environment where most weeks are only 4 days long and leaves a lot of time for work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Great people, very friendly and helpful (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of direction for upper management (in 20 reviews)

• Poor benefits, poor senior management, constantly making changes because of the internal political power struggles (in 18 reviews)

"Would not recommend working here"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

The benefits were great as were the vacation/ time off.

People were top notch especially in the field.

Cons

There was no career path or ability to move upward or cross train into other areas despite the empty promises made in yearly reviews.

There was not a balance between men and women in senior roles or leadership positions. It truly is one of those "good ole boys" companies that does little to none to promote or encourage women.

There was a marked difference between how I witnessed women engineers / PMs and analysts and the constant questioning or cross examining of their work.

I always thought I would return to the company but now that I am working for an organization that actively promotes women, I would never go back or recommend this company to others.

I had an opportunity to voice my complaints and gave many examples but to my knowledge nothing was done to change or improve. Disappointing.

The manager I had was new and was put in the role because he was in the right place at the right time - he didn't have the appropriate experience, training, education or aptitude to be in a leadership position. I left because I was tired of being belittled or constantly scratching my head over conflicting directions.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your organizational structure and see why you are not attracting women talent in senior roles (not just HR and Communications what does your Engineering, IT, and R&D look like?)

Stop with the table banging/ "dragons den" cross examination - its archaic, insulting and ineffective.

"Fall From Grace"

I have been working at Cenovus full-time

Pros

The benefits and vacation time. Frontline workers and managers are great people to work with.

Cons

Year after year asset teams beat management expectations on production and costs, yet frontline employees are passed over for recognition. It use to be exciting to work for Cenovus but after the honeymoon phase, it's become clear that the executive team is not competent enough to manage a company. Case in point: "Double NAV by 2015" was a corporate goal that got swept under the rug as 2015 came and went without even coming close to attaining the goal. Meanwhile, the org structure continued to get to top heavy while fattening the wallets of senior management.

This review is not a function of market conditions, the market conditions are just magnifying the management team's shortfall's and the company's deficiencies (top-heaviness and expensive support groups).

Advice to Management

Reward the employees fairly. In a low price environment, quit spending money on expensive corporate groups that cannot create immediate value.

3. "Horrible management, bullying, racism, harassment"

Former Contractor - LMS Administrator in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Contractor - LMS Administrator in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cenovus as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Every Friday off in the summer. Absolutely nothing else was positive about working at this company. I can't even come up with 20 words to fill this section.

Cons

This is the worst job I have ever had. Management is out in place due to favoritism and not intelligence or experience. A leader in the group was racist, and harassed and bullied myself as well as 3 other individuals that I was aware of. This was reported to senior management and nothing was done. My pay was cut mid way through my contract. I was threatened to not have vacation time approved, even though I gave 3+ months notice of the vacation. Workers who show up late every day, take long lunches daily, sat on the Internet most of the work day, and worked on work from another job were simply allowed to do so. Leaders allowed co-workers to lie about each other and make deals in order to stay longer than other workers. Horrible morale and work environment. Unless you want to be bullied about your looks, have lies spread about your work, and treated like garbage... look elsewhere. Nothing is worth taking a job at this company.

Advice to Management

Need to clear the management in the learning group. They have since moved in the organization so hopefully the group will get cleaned up.

"Constant Change due to Political Power Struggles"

Current Employee - Manager in Cold Lake, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Cold Lake, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay can be decent, vacation allowance is fair, not a lot else to say here

Cons

Poor benefits, poor senior management, constantly making changes because of the internal political power struggles. This has caused field employees to lose all confidence in them. They had a chance to correct things following the employee survey, but chose to move the identified problems to other areas and create more chaos. The newer guys running the field are proving to be even worse. There is NO promotions in the field unless you have friends in Calgary. Cronyism is king in Cenovus, and senior management no longer even hides it. Almost a virtual certainty that when the board chooses a new CEO he will be bringing in his friends. Very poor judgement with large transactions, held AGM and never told anyone about the Conoco deal. Surprised everyone with it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees for once. You've had 2 surveys that named the problems, yet you refuse to deal with them, the field employees have ZERO confidence in Calgary management. The bets are being taken on when Cenovus goes under...

"Could have been better, greatness squandered"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

Coworkers, office building and equipment, safety, overall company potential

Cons

Secretive and distrustful work environment, lacking upward accountability, management by committee, middle management too focused on their survival rather than being experts with authority, too many meetings with not enough action

Advice to Management

It seems somewhere along the way being a darling oil sands company senior management lost touch with the worker bees through their own bureaucratic barriers. I would shake up and streamline management, create accountable leadership, and empower good managers. There's a gem of a company somewhere in that fancy building.

"Lack of trust"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cenovus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The option to purchase vacation.

Cons

Cenovus was an amazing company when I started. However, the past few years have been terrible. While the industry has been hit hard by the downturn, their competitors have bounced back. Cenovus management has driven the company into the ground.
    Upper management keeps staff in the dark regarding all decisions leading to a lack of trust going both ways.
    They have a bloated middle management level. These people are not the best for management roles, but the company used promotions as a reward for technical accomplishments.
    This is also the most sexist company I've ever worked for. If you are female, do not come work here! The view that females are second class is present at all levels of the company. The procedures and policies for dealing with harassment are inadequate and designed to protect the company, not the population being harassed. I thought in 2017 that the world was beyond this attitude.

Advice to Management

Management was the only level not touched in layoffs. That needs to change. Start promoting more women and people with the social skills to manage.

"Scattered and unplanned"

I have been working at Cenovus full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity to chase shiny objects

Cons

The pace of change is breakneck
    Management chases every shiny object they can possible find with out any plans or vision

Advice to Management

Figure out what you are doing. Create a sustainable plan that is aligned.

"Terrible"

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None to speak of currently.

Cons

Was one of the best places to work when I started here 5 years ago. It's been a steep decline. Upper management is absolutely clueless on how to run a company, especially through a downtown. Almost no career progression or career planning, people only move to new jobs through knowing people in the right places, not through effort put in. Extremely bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Fire them all, including the board. Start from scratch and rebuild.

"Arrogance beyond words"

Former Employee - Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

Great assets that have been run into the ground . Recent house cleaning has removed some of the incompetence but lots still remains.

Cons

Lavish executive bonuses while stock value languishes . Unbelievably arrogant leadership, they still draw a large salary as this company flounders. They seem to have jumped horses from a thermal player to a deep basin player but they've never really worked the deep basin

Advice to Management

True leadership leads by example, some of your peers draw zero salary when the company goes through tough times, for some reason you take no cuts...are you that far out of touch? It is difficult to engage your staff when you have a We and a They in your financial administration… The exec is the we, the staff is the they

"Calgary management completely out of touch with the field operations"

Current Employee - Operations in Conklin, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operations in Conklin, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly skilled and dedicated plant work force. Staff still trying to do its best despite 2 years of low oil prices

Cons

Constant change , no clear direction from Calgary. One minute they are ramming Apollo down our throats then it's gone with no explanation. The main priority seems to be re-filling all the offices in the Bow because Brian signed a 25 year lease. Everything in the plant is measured against the cost per barrel, what's the cost per barrel of the Bow rental and VP,s?
    Site morale has been measures twice with no results posted, why?

Advice to Management

Come to site and spend time with the people who get the oil out of the ground, we are an oil company not just " The biggest tower in Calgary"