Cenovus Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cenovus President & Chief Executive Officer Brian C. Ferguson
Brian C. Ferguson

Pros
  • This ends up creating an environment where most weeks are only 4 days long and leaves a lot of time for work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Great people, very friendly and helpful (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Do not understand what senior management does (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management out of touch with those on the front lines (in 17 reviews)

"Crude Scheduler"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

company pay is middle of the pack, benefits are good. Overall good compensation. Ability to purchase vacation with flex dollars is a plus.

Cons

Lack of direction for upper management. The managers only care about themselves and not their team, they are bosses not leaders. Lack of internal promotion for employees.

Advice to Management

Need to work together to promote better culture, be more transparent. Promote internally, provide resources to help employees get to their career goals.

"The good days are behind us!"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cenovus offers good pay and decent benefits. Vacation and time off are still very good. The BOW is still a sweet place to go every morning.

Cons

Pay and benefits are slowly being chipped away. The leadership is self-serving, egotistic and unaware of the talent that remains in the organization. All levels of leadership are slowly being filled with "Yes-men", or based on affirmative action rather than qualifications.

Advice to Management

May be too late to check your egos at the door.

"No end in sight to morale and leadership issues"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

Week off in December. Every Friday off in summer. There are people that work hard, have your back and make it a good place to work, but they will probably leave soon too.

Cons

Too much change and significant downsizing over last few years. Many people overworked. Low morale. Empty promises. Ineffective senior management. Those to blame for the culture issues always pointing fingers and blaming others for the poor morale. The company is a shell of the company I used to work for and loved.

Advice to Management

Over the last 3 years the company culture completely fell apart. Seriously look at what is going on and where and when it started. Talk with employees you can trust. Replace poor management with a team of competent leaders who can rebuild the company morale.

"concerned employee"

I have been working at Cenovus full-time

Pros

used to be a good place to work

Cons

corporate management has taken on too much control while not trusting field management in the jobs they do

"Cuts went too far, and are not coming back as oil prices come back up"

Current Employee - Plant Operator in Christina Lake, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Plant Operator in Christina Lake, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people that work here

Cons

No raise in three years
    Cut field operations pay, but not people in Calgary
    Cut field positions
    Camp food is weak at best
    Very top heavy company with far too many mid-top management positions who are all fighting amongst make themselves to justify their own job
    I make less than I did when hired 5 years ago.
    Stock price is laughable
    Calgary is destroying cultures at Foster Creek by making them go to 8 and 7 schedule and at Christina Lake by cancelling all flights from Medicine Hat, Saskatoon, Lloyd, Red Deer, Kelowna, and Cranbrook
    Bonus have been declining every year I've been here
    Dry camp
    I see my family less as I'm travelling more to get to work.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your employees when you ask them for input instead of pretending to care and not implement any of their input.

"Administrator"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cold Lake, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cold Lake, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cenovus (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be a great caring company

Cons

Does not value family balance

Advice to Management

Listen to your people.

"Political Jungle"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, benefits, bonuses and long term incentives. Some top notch technical people, especially among the senior and staff level technical ranks.

Cons

The vast majority of plum assignments, promotions and compensation decisions are handed out to political favourites of a few select Senior VP's. Management has failed to add value for shareholders compared to their peer group and no one has been held accountable for their failure (except the unfortunate who were laid off by the thousands).

Advice to Management

Clean house in the upper ranks. Import talent from top performing companies and above all replace the CEO who is an utter disappointment.

"Used to be the best"

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be lots of potential for growth. The pay is still good even with the cuts to allowances. Safety is a higher priority here than previous employers.

Cons

Old boys club in management that seems to continually make and change rules for no other reason than to feel powerful. If you disagree with management you will be actively held back from advancing or simply demoted. When I got here they bragged about how there was almost zero attrition, now it's like they are doing their best to force people to quit. Any type of memo or info on the reorganization should just be ignored, as should any timeline about it because management doesn't meet their own deadlines anyways. management flew out to tell us how they were building a new ops camp but a couple months later we get told that'll never happen and that we're moving to a different camp with even smaller rooms instead.

Advice to Management

Do what you say you will, follow deadlines, and trim fat in the company where there's still some left (at the top)

"Staff Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Development Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Development Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked for Cenovus / Encana for 11 years.
    Considered to move but never got a better offer when summed up salary + bonus + LTI

Cons

Too many lies. Very poor communication up and down. So many times I fond that the information provided/ created by the technical people is very much changed by the middle management ....or the upper management is just a bunch of idiots.

Advice to Management

Get rid off the group leads. Do we really need all the managers, directors and VPs? What do they do? At least make public why do we need them.

"Changing Times"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cenovus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, great benefits and salary.

Cons

Worked at the company for over 15 years where the company originally had a lot of integrity and proper work-life balance. But recently has declined where not a lot of value was placed on senior experience. Constant re-orgs, no real consistent direction, leadership never listened to it staff.

Advice to Management

A lot of the staff no longer really trusts that management has a plan that will benefit everyone in the company nor look out for their well-being. Need to revise some core values and give proper direction.