Centaur Media Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Centaur Media Chief Executive Officer Andria Vidler
Andria Vidler

Pros
  • Great central location and nice office with free breakfast (in 5 reviews)

• A well established business with some great brands (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Relatively low salary, staff under-valued by senior management who make constant changes to strategy and set unachievable targets (in 10 reviews)

• Lack of training and development (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great growing experience"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant and Junior Media Buyer in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Centaur Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have loved working here, nice small community that has been built. All employees are great to work with and there is always something different going on.

Cons

Some of the work is repetative, but that is standard for most office jobs.

"High staff turnover and its ovbious why"

I have been working at Centaur Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Its a good place to start a career, but not a place to stay if you want to progress your career. The people make the day to day bearable, but the cons outweigh the pros.

Cons

Relatively low salary, staff under-valued by senior management who make constant changes to strategy and set unachievable targets.

Feb 7, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Hello there, Thanks for your review - it looks like you are a current employee so can I suggest you come and have a chat with me in HR? Totally up to you but unless we get your feedback and ... More

3. "Not bad not outstanding"

Pros

Dynamic strategy; innovative ideas for employees; good holiday package

Cons

Overwork; limited future development chances

Feb 7, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thanks for your review, All the best Steph

5. "Good Starting Place For Those Looking For Business Experience"

Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I worked at Centaur Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- People, the people make this place a fun environment to be in.
    - As a starting job, the bonus structure is attractive for those looking to save or spend in the city
    - Team ethics were strong when I was there, so you felt apart of a culture

Cons

- No innovation finds its way from the bottom up, leaving you discouraged to suggest new ways of business
    - Ego development is rife when promotions do occur and not enough is done to help the teams understand new promotions and hires
    - Boring at times. Its an office, sales driven and a dying media, so it can get stuffy

Advice to Management

Who reads this anyway? I would maybe say, look at the staff you're bringing in and assess to see where your stars may be?

Dec 21, 2016 – HR Business Partner

Hello there, Thanks for your review. I read these and share with our leadership team as it is useful to know what is being said in the market place. I'm Steph and I'm the Head of Talent and HR ... More

6. "Moaners should do us all a favour and find other jobs."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Centaur Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to do lots of different things. If you don't know your digital from your analogue, time to learn here . Location is amazing !

Cons

Mice and we could do with another shower. Kitchens are left in terrible state by people . And why do so many people moan ? I have just joined from a company which makes Centaur look amazing.

Advice to Management

You can't please all the people all the time .

Dec 21, 2016 – HR Business Partner

Hello there, Thanks for your review. We have addressed the mice challenge so hopefully that is better. We recognise the kitchens are often left in a poor state which is why we have taken steps ... More

"If you take care of your employees, they will take care of the clients."

Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Centaur Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location
    Market leading titles
    Approachable CEO
    Good marketing support
    Good relations with journo’s

Cons

Contrived Monday meetings that mean commercial team start week with all energy and motivation zapped due to irrelevant and waffled content *LOOK AROUND YOU SENIOR MANAGEMENT*

Austerity measures include removing paper towels from bathrooms but we now have some funky old sofas from Ikea c.2004.

Bizarre new pledging system that has presumably been designed by senior management to show that they are doing everything they can to get us out of revenue slump now they've given some of the deadwood the chop.
    Instead, perhaps incentivise company-wide call times/ effective calls and run more super sales days are a better idea than a weekly stab in the dark about closing a deal?

Targets usually agreed about a week into a particular month and everything is subject to change including your actual job remit.

These are fairly small tweaks though but matter a great deal to our well being and happiness at Centaur Media.

Advice to Management

Take note of the above

Dec 21, 2016 – HR Business Partner

Hello there, Thanks for your review - we are looking at the Monday morning meetings and how we can make them more relevant for portfolios. I hope you will be able to attend one of the sessions ... More

8. "Let's itself down."

I have been working at Centaur Media full-time

Pros

Some great people- this is without a doubt the main reason people stay (if in fact they do stay)
    Sometimes they let us have fun (mainly down to the new development board initiative)
    They give us bread for toast.
    There is a pub next door.

Cons

- Monday morning meeting that makes you want to hurt yourself.
    - the tow halls are just as dull, and we no longer get beer but donuts instead (we're not 5)
    - Centaur extended the finishing time from 5pm to 5.30 for no reason at all. Everyone just p*sses around for the last half hour because everyone else in the country has already gone home.
    - Mice. Mice everywhere.
    - KPIs are unrealistic
     - Lots of redundancies
    - No action is ever taken as a result of these complaints so nothing gets fixed.
    - The generic 'visit us in our office to chat' comment that HR will leave here.

Advice to Management

Let us finish at 5 again-trust your employees enough that if we have work still to do come 5pm then we will voluntarily stay behind instead of being unnecessarily forced to (without being paid more to do it).
    The Monday meeting is a bore fest, especially now you've made the sales awards monthly.
    Listen to complaints and change!
    Give us back our paper towels.

Dec 21, 2016 – HR Business Partner

Hello there, Thanks for your review. You are absolutely right - I am inviting you to come and have a chat with me - Steph, it doesn't even need to be in HR! I hope you were able to take part in ... More

"It's ok"

I have been working at Centaur Media full-time

Pros

- Free breakfast weekly and fruit bowls twice a week
    - comfortable furniture
    - team members are friendly and easy to get along with
    - excellent location
    - supportive manager

Cons

- no more paper towels in the bathroom as a cost saving measure bit silly.
    - too sales oriented. gets a bit stale in major company meetings. Some other teams would like the limelight for a change!
    - Salary for most employees is lower compared to the market rate.
    - High attrition rate
    - Not much career progression. Unless you work in sales of course!

Advice to Management

Listen to employee ideas and focus on being more inclusive for all areas of the business

Oct 11, 2016 – HR Business Partner

Hello there, I hope you are well? I'm Steph in the HR team - come and say hi! We are always looking for ways to improve what we do. I'm responsible for learning and development so come and tell ... More

"Bad choice"

Former Employee - Salesperson in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Salesperson in London, England (UK)

I worked at Centaur Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small amounts of free fruit / breakfast snacks.
    Limited amounts of milk.
    Some random offers from local business.
    Location.
    Desk.
    Phone.

Cons

Where do you start... This company is in a mess. It's seriously biased towards events and subscriptions, if you happen to work in advertising, don't for a second expect the same level of investment in your product as they are all plummeting in effectiveness and the company pretends everything is OK. It's not, the clients know that only too well.

Staffing crisis. It is crucially understaffed in many areas. When they do interview people, they are offered totally different jobs to what they applied for. Be very specific about that if you've seen a job advertised. Also, don't be fooled by any OTE figure- they are all completely unachievable or sometimes actually impossible. Also people drop like flies, the turnover is horrendous and this is made worse by the fact they have a desperate take anyone recruitment policy. Hire good people to start with and they won't leave in 3 months time. Also, making the commercial Recruitment Manager redundant was a very silly idea.

Terrible facilities. Either far too hot or far too cold. MICE on several floors that are just accepted as the norm - expected as they took away all the bins with some ridiculous policy about it being better for you to have to walk miles from your desk to the bin rather have one nearby that actually gets used.

There is a meeting of the commercial staff on a Monday morning that bores everyone to tears. It's their opportunity to waffle on about the big, successful brands and make certain to embarrass the wee people who are having a tough time. Corporate bull that none of the staff give two hoots about.

Can you get more petty than taking away the paper towels from the toilets and kitchens, just to save a paltry amount of money?

Accounts and the CRM are a hindrance, not a help. Because of the huge backlog of unpaid debts, none of which are the sales people's fault, the accounts department are making lives difficult for sales and forcing them and the clients to jump through hoops. It's costing business already and the CRM is becoming more and more complicated.

Lack of training and development. Centaur don't offer anywhere near the same level of educational opportunities as other publishing companies. Although having a seminar with the CEO got people off the floor for a wee while, it does not do anything to really advance a person's career.

All in all, I regret joining. They sold me into a position that is totally different to the reality. The culture has become one of expecting a poor effort from the company, rolling eyes, that's just the way it is - accept it or move on.

Advice to Management

If you've read this review you can work out the rest.

Oct 11, 2016 – HR Business Partner

Hello there, I hope you are well? I work in there HR team here - actually I look after the learning and development and resourcing space which we invest a lot of time in. We have just had our ... More

11. "Centaur Media, Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Centaur Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great colleagues, friendly environment
    - Good central location
    - Decent commission potential

Cons

- Management... tiered and you get the feeling management look down on you
    - The perks aren't amazing, nothing funky like at other media companies
    - High staff turnover

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, make everyone feel valued and look at the company benefits.