Centaur Media Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Centaur Media Chief Executive Officer Andria Vidler
Andria Vidler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great location in shabby building (in 6 reviews)

• They have free breakfast, have enhanced some of the benefits and a strong focus on employee development (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Working in the headquarters, you would expect to the Senior Management more, but was not the case (in 10 reviews)

• So I felt a lack of training and opportunity, but I understand that wasn't universal (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great growing experience"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant and Junior Media Buyer in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Centaur Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have loved working here, nice small community that has been built. All employees are great to work with and there is always something different going on.

Cons

Some of the work is repetative, but that is standard for most office jobs.

2. "A nice place to work with good people"

Pros

Good staff with young and vibrant work force.

Cons

Needs clearer routes of progression

3. "Absolute joke of a place to work"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Centaur Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are amazing... You need the good people in order to survive. I worked there for 3 years and I have no clue how I got that far.

Cons

I honestly do not know where to begin. The entire structure of the business is a joke. You essentially get promoted if you're friends with the right people or if the rest of your team quits. The money is appalling... They treat people like they're desperate for work and have nowhere else to go... well YOU DO! They will look for ways to get rid of you if you're not a "yes man/woman" and the CEO is an absolute clueless clown. It's shocking that she's lasted this long without investors realising how careless she is. It's heartbreaking to see so many incredible subsidiaries being destroyed by the "Centurain way". Stay well away from this company, there are much better paid jobs out there with a lot more opportunities for personal growth. And I haven't even mentioned the management team yet.... WHY IS NOBODY DOING/SAYING ANYTHING?! The way they've treated people in the 3 years I was there is illegal... I'm so happy I voice recorded my exit interview because I can bring the house down any time I want.... And that gives me peace of mind.

Advice to Management

You should all quit and actually give qualified people a chance to come in and make the business great again. In 3 years I've just seen one clueless clown after another walk in through the doors and everyone just accepts in like it's normal.... It's NOT!

"Not what it use to be"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Centaur Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team members in individual brand are great.

Cons

Being run into the ground by the management and management accountants who have little to no experience in the individual brands or markets so unable to add any real value apart from piling pressure (to the point of bullying) on you to hit unrealistic targets.

Salaries are very low compared to other companies of the same stature and most people only stay for loyalty to their individual teams and brands rather than Centaur Media as a whole.

If you want to work in Media go to EMAP, Closer Still, Incisive, Red Active or Haymarket. You will still probably have to put up with some of the same crap but you will probably be remunerated for it better and the offices are likely to be in much better condition.

Advice to Management

No point they won't listen

"Hard to know where to begin"

Current Employee - Head of Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Head of Marketing in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Centaur Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You meet some good folk but they'll leave if they're good at their jobs. Central location good while it lasts.

Cons

Everything is about cost-saving. Very little attention to detail given and it's all about the quick buck. Good staff come and go but the bad ones hang around like a bad smell.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and look outside of the company to see what the leading companies are doing and how they engage their staff and audiences. Ask yourselves why nobody stays and what compels people to bother writing these reviews rather than putting more posters up around the office and condescending your employees all of the time. It's plain arrogance.

"Extremely frustrating place to work"

I have been working at Centaur Media full-time

Pros

Central London Location is great

Cons

Really demotivating place to work. Senior management treat employees like children regardless of their level of experience. Really patronising approach to any advice given by emplyees regarding individual markets. Totally run by accountants who have really limited understanding of individual brands.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. They often know their markets far better than you do. Start treating them with respect and you'll have a far more successful business with far better employee engagement and retention rates to match.

"No progression, no respect."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Centaur Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, nice staff, 9-5:30pm

Cons

The salaries are very low, no promotions even if you've been there for 3/4+ years, pay rises are pathetic, you're constantly belittled, with managers micromanaging you and criticising everything, the building is falling apart, all staff perks taken away to 'save money', the water always stops working.. I could go on.

Advice to Management

They won't listen, they'll just replace you.

8. "Great People"

I worked at Centaur Media full-time

Pros

Amazing, lovely people and a great location in Central London

Cons

It's a shame the roof cannot be used more!

"Good company"

I have been working at Centaur Media full-time

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Have to travel to the west end every day

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing in Farnborough, London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Farnborough, London, England (UK)

I have been working at Centaur Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In an overall nice environment, they are constantly looking to improve things and bring in a new technology. Free breakfast and drinks once a month.

Cons

Senior managers often manage a very different range of products therefore not understanding specifics of each but are eager to advise and suggest.