Centene Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

Centene Chairman and CEO Michael F. Neidorff
Michael F. Neidorff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • A lot of overtime without pay, work/life balance is not a top priority here (in 58 reviews)

• Vacation time was hard to come by and limited work from home options (in 21 reviews)

"Disappointed with this company"

Current Employee - Applications Software Developer in Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Applications Software Developer in Clayton, MO

Pros

I have nothing good to say

Cons

too much of politics, partiality shown in giving rating, promotions, appreciations
    Less salary more work

Advice to Management

management should take actions on the people who does discrimination and favoritism

"Nonexistent work life balance. Lack of teamwork within the many operational departments, no accountability to others"

Former Employee - Manager, Network Development and Contracting in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Manager, Network Development and Contracting in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Centene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement. Decent wages but you may have to fight for a fair wage once you are promoted from within.

Cons

Crabs in the barrel mentality, resources are limited. While there are some great people working for the company, they are often overshadowed by those who are allowed to take credit for the work of others. Reporting any complaint to HR is a joke and often results in retaliation. My vacation time was spent constantly working. Never could disengage from work. The health plans are run autonomously and there is little- to -no connection with the specialty companies if they choose not to .

Advice to Management

Read an introductory college level management book on how to treat human resources.

"Incompetent IT Management In Many Lines of Business"

Current Employee - Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene (More than 3 years)

Pros

The working people are great.

Cons

Too many managers, directors, and VPs. Incompetent (lack of IT experience/lack of business knowledge) managers/directors too often get promoted when there's a lack of progress. A culture that all projects succeed (even the failed ones) to keep the bonuses and promotions flowing...pat my back, I'll pat yours. Very discouraging environment for the real workers who get stepped on by their boss to move up.

Advice to Management

Cut management staff. Promote internally. Get engaged with projects. Pay attention to annual surveys. People are unhappy and don't trust upper level management to make good decisions.

"Claims Macro Developer"

Current Employee - Claims Macro Developer in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Macro Developer in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management support (when they have time for you). Work friendly environment.

Cons

Pay is too low for the positions. Little opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate job titles, responsibilities, and pay scales for each position

"Senior Developer"

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Fresno, CA

I worked at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the people, and for the most part, they put up with my outspokenness and seemed to feel it helped sometimes. I enjoyed the challenge of re-architecting the pharmacy encounters and wanted to take it to another level and make it more robust. I loved the weekly meetings with leadership from the health plans to set deadlines, priorities, and goals to achieve for the week. I enjoyed going to the whiteboard in a conference room and having others in the team and management show up to discuss new architectural plans.

Cons

Pay was much lower than I had previously made. Benefits were minimal. But I agreed to this from the start and took on the role as a consultant intending to stay and contribute to the company's success for six months. In six months, I was moved into a permanent role, and in retrospect, had I thought in a more crafty manner, I would have turned down that role and asked for something more senior and appropriate for my experience at a time when the company's needs were greatest. But I focused on the mission I had for getting the pharmacy encounters in shape for the good of the company, and I stayed with the company for two years rather than six months as planned. But when the pharmacy encounters were in better shape, I asked for a title more appropriate for the work I had been doing and was turned down. And I found myself training "lead developers" who were much more junior, and the one the lead developer who was functioning at a very senior level was working long hours and had been with the company about 13 years. In retrospect, I regret I ever suggested I might consider something less than what I had asked for, and I could not see myself considering working for them again in any role beneath Director or Chief Architect with my eyes on a VP position and about double the salary and benefits. And I would be worth at least ten times that much to the company. I have no intention of groveling or waiting. I will pursue my own success and not wait for anyone's permission to contribute to the well-being of this world.

Advice to Management

Most important, listen. Second most important, listen. Third most important, listen. And when you listen, never mind as you are probably drifting off and missing the whole point of having an "Advice" section. Right? Ok. If I have your attention now, then you have grasped the first point. Now for what you get when you listen. Build morale wisely in ways that work. Play is nice. Toys are nice. Parties are nice. Baseball games are nice. But they don't build real morale. You build morale when your people can trust you to be fair and honest with them. When you tell them there are opportunities for advancement, don't lie to them, and don't make it an empty promise or a carrot on a string. Notice what your employees do. If you're tempted to reserve your more senior titles for attracting outside employees, you will create a miserable environment in the office that current employees will be desperate to leave. if you have a manager who fires or lays off all his or her employees, pardon me for being blunt, but you are screwing up as a manager, and if you consider yourself God's gift to management for getting rid of the rejects, then you are the problem. Good managers bring out the best in their people. They are artists, geniuses when it comes to getting the hearts of the people aligned, in spotting areas where employees are having difficulty and helping to move the obstacles out of the way. Good managers do not cheat their people or lie to them and tell them they are not worthy to have the right to pursue their dreams. A good manager knows his employee's dreams and desires to see his employees reach them. It is more naive to believe that the company's purpose and the employee's dreams must always be perpetually at odds with one another. And if you can get your employees' hearts, you can have a group of people working with passion on both their dreams and the company's vision and have great success. I feel this is something that management at US Script has missed. I do not see this is a negative, but as an opportunity for greatness that hasn't been harvested yet--perhaps an opportunity that has been squandered or fought perhaps out of fear or lack of experience or out of pride and stubbornness, but it is one place where management can and should excel. Perhaps management is afraid of success. Perhaps they are afraid someone else will get the credit or the promotions or the rewards or that the company will feel they are no longer needed once a major goal has been achieved. But if I may be frank, it resembles a bunch of crabs in a bucket that could get out individually but who get pulled back into the bucket by the other crabs--crabs remaining miserable and awaiting the boiling water--crabs desperate to get out but who feel they cannot. One manager tries to do something good and the others fight it. One architect tries to suggest some improvement and he is shut down. People who deserve to be in positions of greater responsibility and desire to do so but are pulled back down. And every objection to this is met with another put down that amounts to a lie and an excuse and blame casting and other weak, cowardly, pathetic, and disingenuous crap. And until the crap ends and people start behaving with intelligence, competence, integrity, love, and fairness to others, all the toys and playtimes in the world will do nothing for morale. A company has to rise above this or it will either die or live an existence that would be worse than death. It is a terrible thing to waste one's life in such an environment where people are committed to doing the wrong thing when everyone has so much potential to do much better. Make this company great again. You know how. It's Ok. It's worth doing.

"Pega Developer"

Current Employee - Pega Developer in Town and Country, MO
    Current Employee - Pega Developer in Town and Country, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, Good pay, good benefits, fast-paced, fortune 500, agile environment, fun

Cons

fast-paced, slow onboarding, tight security, on-call positions, implied over-time

"Centene: A fast paced, challenging, and sometimes brutal workplace."

Former Employee - Applications Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Applications Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-- Centene continues to grow at a rapid pace, which can lead to opportunities if you network with the right people.
    -- The cafeteria in the Clayton office is very nice.
    -- There is also free parking.
    -- The location of the corporate office in the heart of Clayton is also a nice perk.
    -- If the company performs well, bonuses may be offered at the end of the year.

Cons

-- Centene is very much an "old school", deadline-oriented company, which can lead to many times where overtime is expected and is required. There were many times where individuals just work the overtime without being asked and managers probably didn't even know about it.
    -- The reason that this happens is because upper level managers over promise without consulting the engineers/employees or their managers doing the work.
    -- Centene is not a company that does not has either a flexible work schedule or a working from home policies and there is very little sign of such policy being approved since the CEO discourages it.
    -- Despite what you might think, there is extremely high turnover rate of IT staff at Centene, which is a big concern as the company continues to grow and become dependent on new technology.

To some people, Centene can sometimes be a "brutal" place to work. To give an insight into the culture, just read a quote from the Chief Information Security Officer in the St. Louis Business Journal.

Q: What are the most effective ways to raise awareness of cybersecurity among employees?
    A: "Someone once said that the quickest way to train 10,000 people was to fire one publicly. So we had an incident that was caused by someone's lack of due care, and we fired that person. And we let people know why. Then people start to understand security is important...I've figured out that part of training is a bit of brute force."

Advice to Management

-- Please review and understand why people are leaving.
    -- Use this site as a tool for internal feedback. Don't be dismissive that posts are are only unhappy or terminated employees. Also, encourage HR to post honest reviews, not fake 5-star positive reviews.
    -- Be more competitive with pay, benefits, and flexibility with other big companies in St. Louis since many of the IT employees that leave are going to those other large companies with better pay, benefits, and more flexibility.

Someone once said that the biggest threat to Centene is complacency. I think not understanding and agreeing that high turnover is a problem is a sign that the company is beginning to become complacent in it's success.

8. "Application software developer technition"

Current Employee - Applications Software Developer Tech in Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Applications Software Developer Tech in Clayton, MO

Pros

good benefits, friendly staff, 401k plan

Cons

fast pace environment, switching projects frequently

Advice to Management

less hours, no working extra hours

"Nothing is built to last."

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Clayton, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have an awesome cafeteria.

Cons

Nothing is built to last. None of the other developers are writing unit tests, and the architecture is pretty brittle.

As a developer you will be tasked with gathering specifications as the business analysts don't do their jobs.

As a developer you will be tasked with going through a five layer process to certify that a feature is ready to deploy - the testing team does not really test, only the business will test, and they are impossible to work with.

As a developer you will be tasked with supporting code you did not write (you will be on-call), and no one else on the team serves on-call (business analysts, testers, managers).

As a developer you will work nights and weekends in addition to regular hours, and you will not be the one promoted - Centene only promotes business analysts and managers.

Advice to Management

See Cons

"Good lesson on the kind of company I don't want to work for."

Former Employee - ETL Developer in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - ETL Developer in Clayton, MO

I worked at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate building had nice cafe.

Competitive pay.

Cons

The job will affect your family life with the excessive hours and stress.

Very high turnover which always translates into more work for the employees who are still there.

Advice to Management

None. It doesn't matter to me anymore.