Centene Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Centene Chairman and CEO Michael F. Neidorff
Michael F. Neidorff

Pros
Cons
  • No work life balance as they stress we need (in 49 reviews)

• Vacation time was hard to come by and limited work from home options (in 17 reviews)

1. "Worst place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport, NY

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working here. Do not bother applying or interviewing because they simply lie in the interview about the job duties anyway.

Cons

It is all bait and switch. They lie about what the job entails at the interview process and continue lying after you are hired. Management just delegates everything and takes no responsibility for anything. Their methods with the members constitute harassment. Fear is the dominant aura and its common to see employees crying. Been job searching since day one but the market around here is not good. Money is okay here but not enough to keep people around. Turn over is very high. DO NOT WORK HERE unless you like to be miserable on a daily basis.

"Don't even bother looking at this company"

I worked at Centene full-time

Pros

Health benefits are okay - but disappointing considering this is a health insurance company
    Some 401K match - but disappointing considering how well executives are paid
    PTO is decent - but not on par with other large corporations

Cons

Where do I begin? If you're considering joining this company, do yourself a favor and run away as fast as you can. The company is plagued by poor and disconnected leadership, incredibly low morale, no strategy, no vision, and no action plan. Everyone I know there is looking for a new job and fighting to get themselves on a list for a severance package in one of its layoff rounds. There is so much back-biting, vicious, and unprofessional behavior, especially at the VP and SVP level. No one is proud to work there and it's nothing more than a paycheck until people find something better at another company. All of this is compounded by the fact that health insurance is falling apart as an industry while the executive team makes millions of dollars in their paychecks on the backs of people who are on Medicaid and Medicare. It's just sick. "Innovation" there means developing products and services that allow the company to layoff more people and save more money so the executives can further pad their paychecks. And the worst part is that the leadership is actually proud of their motives and brags about them. I know people who have left this company because they developed severe anxiety thanks to bullying by their leaders. It's a hostile place. So happy I found another opportunity and left the company - it's like a huge weight has been lifted and I'm in a much better place now.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't want any advice from anyone. Whenever anyone speaks up, they're shot down almost immediately and leadership gangs up on them until they leave. I look forward to seeing this company shutter its doors.

"IT basics gone way wrong"

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Centene full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ok benefits but could be better for a Fortune 200 company that is a Healthcare Provider. Nice friendly staff. Time off during holiday/winter break.

Cons

Lack of vision, lack of management, lack of training, lack of incentives and zero perks. Benefits could be better including bonuses.

Advice to Management

I would start by not calling your company "an I.T. Company". You can't even train your employees adequately to stay on top of emerging trends let alone products your company supports. Management constantly talks down to employees and when asked for help they act like its an inconvenience that you asked. I would definitely not recommend Centene. The old school business mentality doesn't work in California. I hope senior management in the future listens to employees and works on finding way to keep talent.

"Run don't walk in the other direction"

Current Employee - Care Manager II in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Care Manager II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Centene full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working from home and the nicest co-workers who are always willing to help. Good benefit package but forget taking the time off promised when hired.

Cons

Poor management and terrible work/life balance. Expected to work unlimited overtime 6 days per week without any additional compensation. High employee turnover. People are so over tasked and overwhelmed they just walk out. My friends have all found better paying jobs for an hourly wage elsewhere. The pay is terrible if you count the hours worked. This is basically a sweat shop for RNs. Training was terrible. We were clueless and managers even more clueless so we had the pressure of being unprepared and having to figure it out on our own. Extremely stressful work environment.

Advice to Management

Being secretive and demanding, unethical behavior doesn't create a team. It creates a hostile us/them environment.

"Compliance is NOT Security"

Current Employee - IT Engineer
    Current Employee - IT Engineer

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are growing... That's really all I can say.

Cons

This company SUCKS for someone who cares so much about their craft and work...

POOR management and direction from the CEO down. They call themselves and IT company that does medical insurance. What does that even mean? Well, I can tell you it's only a ploy to increase stock value to shareholders. They do not develop or produce any software or hardware or provide professional services for resale. It would be similar to Chase Bank saying they're an IT company that does banking. They truly only care about compliance and not security which means they have a completely fractured security environment with various tools that do not receive proper care and feeding. This also means fractured security teams with defined roles being extremely vague... They also do not care much or at all to train their staff on the currently used security stack/tools. In other words, if you're an analyst, engineer or architect and are given a tool and need to be the SME DO NOT expect training. To be fair, maybe this is all because they've grown incredibly fast.

As to benefits it's nothing to droll over. I've had cheaper and better coverage at other companies. This I find strange as this is a HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANY! Their 401k is vested after 4 years and is matched to 3%. Not much to be desired honestly. They offer a 5% discount on purchasing stock... This is incredibly lame as most companies I'm familiar with is at least 15%. They do offer bonuses which seem decent, usually 6%. That said, if you are part of the company they acquire DO NOT expect a bonus when you get rolled into their HR fully.

The list can honestly go on and on IMO. Management infighting. A "do as I say" not "do as I do" type of management environment... Very condescending management across departments. I've seen managers and VP's come in and literally yell at individuals.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Make them feel valued. Offer good work/life balance. Increase benefits to recruit and retain valuable employees.

7. "Horrible Management"

Former Contractor - HEDIS (Quality Improvement Department) in Smyrna, GA
    Former Contractor - HEDIS (Quality Improvement Department) in Smyrna, GA

I worked at Centene as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Fairly quiet environment, pay is decent

Cons

The Director talks down to staff, unprofessional behavior, and only barks, never listens.

Advice to Management

Take some classes on how to Effectively communicate with others.

"run run as fast as you can"

Current Employee - MFLC
    Current Employee - MFLC

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

$$/paid holidays/7days of sick leave/ allowed to work part time jobs elsewhere in addition to your full time position/ very flexible in relative policy(you can work with close family members)

Cons

health insurance is not- good high end deductible
    no annual leave paid or unpaid unless you take a month off at a time unpaid
    cliques
    favoritism

Advice to Management

treat your MFLCS the way you would want to be treated, it is as simple as that
    train Clinical managers better

"Centene - LifeShare"

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional

I worked at Centene (More than a year)

Pros

Almost nothing. I guess if you want to work for a company that almost never checks in on you then you might consider that a pro.

Cons

Absolutely one of the worst shared living agencies in the state. They will not contact you back if you need help. They have very poor communication in general.

They follow almost none of the rules. These agencies are suppose to check up on you monthly and do visits. This also ensures that the client living in the home is living in good conditions. They might do it once a year if they even remember to. There is very little contact with the providers. They don't even treat them as employees of the company. Technically they are contractors but they treat you less than that.

They have been bought by a for profit company called Centene. I don't believe in maximizing profits using the disabled. They provide no respite which is what most of these companies do.

Advice to Management

Advice wouldn't matter. It's a shareholder's project. It's all about maximizing profits and spending as little money as possible on management and services to the providers while taking the bigger cut from the state. The state provides around $80k (give or take) to care for a disabled client. The people actually caring for the client at their houses will not even get half that.

"Sweatshop"

I have been working at Centene full-time

Pros

Nice buildings to work in

Cons

Managers expect 60+ hours a week. Management ready to blame and accuse. Many managers in IT are not experienced in IT.

"Worst company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - LTC Case Manager in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - LTC Case Manager in Maitland, FL

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits. Made some friends among my peers.

Cons

Disorganized leadership. Change the processes every day. Reverse racism rampant in the work place. HR is on the side of the leaders not the employees. Huge caseloads and extreme pressure for no good reason. If you get a note to be out for a short time for medical purpose, they won't let you use more than 5 days of accrued sick time. In all they will use their staff until they drop. No support whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. Get more staff who are competent. Do not rebid on the LTC contract in 2017.