Centene Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "RN Care Manager"

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, 11 paid holidays , weekends off

Cons

Micro management, strictly 8-5 office setting

Advice to Management

Treat professionals well & they will perform & stay in your company Very controlling environment. Nurses are not respected as a high commodity profession.

"Developer"

Former Employee - Software in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Software in Clayton, MO

I worked at Centene full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits Nice Offices Flexible Schedules

Cons

Managers rotate so you cannot get to know them or complete long tasks.
    Task assignments are vague, stakeholders unreachable.
    Hire you to do one thing, then have you work on something else that does'nt further your career. 2nd level Production support is a nightmare -- high turnover in op center means no one learns anything (and you have to repeatedly teach new people). Only a few people know what is going on. You better be one of those people.

"I would not recomend this job!"

I worked at Centene full-time

Pros

pay is good
    Benifits are great
    Schedule is M-F and you could come in to work as early as 6:30 and you were only late at 8:01. so easy shift . no phones to answer or deal with, throw on headset and go work you 8 hours, 30 min lunch.

Cons

look at someone wrong and your brought in the HR, to many whining childish cowards who run to HR over any little thing that you would NEVER even think would happen. You are always told its your fault and no defense. Polital correctness at its bast working here. BIG RAT INFESTATION so i advise IF you decide to work, put your headset on and NEVER take it off, DONT TALK to anyone about ANYTHING and even then dont look at anyone because your expression might make a person FEEL threatened or offended. This company is totally taking sides of anyone that goes to HR about anything. you are defensless and GUILTY no matter what period the end. seriously conside another job

Advice to Management

completly revamp the tyler office from HR Managers down. Your turnover will continue to be well over the standard customer service center.

"Unless you are desperate for money and do not have family (do not need work/life balance), don't work there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO

I worked at Centene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sorry, I can't think any... Other than working in Clayton?

Cons

That was 6 years of my life I will never get back. It was awful. Too many hours, Management was a joke, technology way behind, taking care of Medicaid people was way down on the list after making money, making money, making money.

Advice to Management

Bring in new management that is actually fair and give your employees a voice as well as a work/life balance.

5. "RN"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Centene full-time

Pros

co-workers friendly, helpful & only good part of working there

Cons

Past history of employee-pay abuse -- was punished by government for that. Area where nurses work is shabby & has stained walls. NOT charity minded either -- participation in Red Bus blood drive requires being in & out of bus within 15-minute breaks, or 30-minute lunch-time. So hope no one else is donating when you go outside to the bus to try & donate! All staff also treated as potential thieves by changing to system that needed requisition for paper clips & pencils (this is true -- sadly not a joke). If overhead cameras really work, then supply thieves can identified & fired -- should not punish everyone for greed of a few.

Advice to Management

Replace current hippocratic management & treat nurses as professionals.

"Jobs For The Lazy"

Current Employee - Referral Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Referral Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay Decent benefits location

Cons

No updates to policies & procedures
    HR is useless
    Senior leadership...USELESS
    People seem to be on drugs all the time while at work

Advice to Management

Stop pushing good people out the door.
    Train HR staff to listen to the employee before they offer severance thinking that'll make the problem go away!
    Start drug testing questionable staff who make constant mistakes
    Get rid of supervisors who clearly can't manage staff

7. "Walk away fast"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport, NY

I worked at Centene full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Pay is decent for the positions

Cons

To many to list, do yourself a favor and find somewhere else to work. Centene Corporate is no help to local plan, I have witnessed physical and sexual harassment and HR/Corporate did absolutely nothing to make the workplace safe. Overworked, unrealistic expecatations, the stress level is insane. Corporate does not caste about their employees or members. It's all $$. The turn over is high, wkly.

Advice to Management

Hold onto your employees, before they leave too.

"Avoid at all costs"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros, unless you like being a slave. This is by far the worst company I've ever worked for. Worst management, worst benefits, it amazes me they are still in business; obviously it's only because they are state sponsored. They are really great at shooting themselves in the foot to attempt to make their employees look bad and an attempt to make management look better.

Cons

No flex time, just work 24/7, don't believe the work from home bs they say you can do. Management lies, withholds pertinent information; nepotism, and favoritism runs rampant. Unemployment is better than working for this company that cheats you of every holiday, with only management getting flex time for those days. Carrier pegions are better way to communicate than the methods management uses.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like humans and not slaves.

"Company does NOT care about its employees."

Current Employee - RN Field Case Manager in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - RN Field Case Manager in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at Centene full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Allows parents with children to drop off and pick up their children on time. Sometimes you can work in the field and that is nice.

Cons

Lack of flexibility. Only corporate management is "allowed" to make decisions. You can't even write a letter without approval. They can't keep physicians in network so we can't keep members. Thank god for passive enrollments. Then they do not have an accurate list of current participating providers. So you look completely unprofessional sending lists with no notes or sticky notes and never being able to tell members who is actually in network. Then management waits until the last possible minute and then make a decision based on their complete lack of knowledge of the subject matter. The company gives little to no PTO and you can't carry it over so forget having a baby and taking a 12 week maternity/paternity leave. Spouses can't be on the insurance. And the CEO insists upon 100% donations to a corrupt organization despite the company's failure to pay well. The CEO only wants to buy up companies not make anything already in the company better. And god forbid there is a recommendation from the front lines. You don't know anything because you are not the CEO who has never done the job. And do t get me started on the temp to hire process. It's just another way for the company to screw over employees.

Advice to Management

Only corporate management can make decisions but they never do. They need to start trusting and valuing their employees. We don't do this because it's fun. We do it because we care. A few bad apples do exist but you are going to chase away the good people by treating everyone like a criminal. It costs more to hire and train new people than keep the ones you have. Believe me, I'm gone as soon as I get a new job and I've been with the company less than a year.

"Nonexistent work life balance. Lack of teamwork within the many operational departments, no accountability to others"

Former Employee - Manager, Network Development and Contracting in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Manager, Network Development and Contracting in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Centene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement. Decent wages but you may have to fight for a fair wage once you are promoted from within.

Cons

Crabs in the barrel mentality, resources are limited. While there are some great people working for the company, they are often overshadowed by those who are allowed to take credit for the work of others. Reporting any complaint to HR is a joke and often results in retaliation. My vacation time was spent constantly working. Never could disengage from work. The health plans are run autonomously and there is little- to -no connection with the specialty companies if they choose not to .

Advice to Management

Read an introductory college level management book on how to treat human resources.