Centene Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Centene Chairman and CEO Michael F. Neidorff
Michael F. Neidorff

Cons

"It was great! And then HealthNet came along."

Former Employee - Manager in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Clayton, MO

I worked at Centene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the work and for 6 years was happy with what I did. I knew I made a difference and did my job well. Not many has the same skill set I did and there was always work to do.

Cons

1. It's an old white boys club. I say that as a white individual. It sucks that's how MFN rolls. They say they value diversity but they don't. They will have a token diverse person in an exec role but they're there to be a face, not make any changes or impact.
    2. They pay really well but that hurts when you leave.
    3. They layoff the good people and keep the undereducated white males. Why? See #1 above.
    4. They don't want you if you are female and over 40. Think I'm lying? See the number of females 40+ who got hit in the January "reorganization."
    5. HR is a joke. Talent acquisition couldn't find their rear ends with both hands and a map. So many excuses on why they didn't do their jobs.
    6. MFN said the HealthNet employees needed to learn the Centene way and the Centene way would prevail. He lied.
    7. They never entertained the idea of working from home. At all. Even a 25% WFH option would cut costs and improve morale.

Advice to Management

Read the list of cons and actually take action to make this more than a joke of a company. And think twice before you get rid of the good people.

"Decent salary and benefits"

Current Employee - RN Care Manager II in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - RN Care Manager II in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Centene full-time

Pros

The Salary is competitive. The benefits are decent. A lot of opportunities to work from home.

Cons

You have to work hard for that Salalry. We are always short staffed. Perhaps it's the department that I work for, but the vast majority of employees seem very stressed. Including Management. There also seems to be a lot of turnover.

Advice to Management

Help your employees. Don't schedule meetings on the same day (with less than an hour notification)when employees are in the field and they don't even have (company provided) phone reception. And please, upgrade your equipment. An unusable laptop or phone is absolutely worthless.

3. "Work Environment"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good vacation time. There are good opportunities to grow inside the company and go to higher positions in a short time.

Cons

There is no working from home option for any reason. They are very strict on working hours. It's a health care company abut they don't have good health insurances.

Advice to Management

They should understand that employees are human and not robots!

"Centene Service Desk"

Current Employee - Service Desk Technician in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Service Desk Technician in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Centene full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I use my knowledge of user management in a Windows environment every day.
    Knowledge base is updated.
    Issues are relatively the same after a while.
    Get to experience more

Cons

Very stressful environment from merging companies.
    Lack of focus or plan for the migration.
    Misinformed employees and internal users.
    Most other teams are not as efficient as they can be.
    Updates to system resources can cause extreme call volume increases.

"Do not work here unless you absolutely have no other option."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS

I worked at Centene full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay for the area.

Cons

Horrible supervisors. Lead with petty behavior. HR will not take complaints of mistreatment seriously.

Advice to Management

Vet management more in depth and make HR listen when people bring complaints.

"If you like Merry-Go-Rounds or playing Musical Chairs..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and Paid-Time off (which you will need to sooth your psyche)

Cons

If you like Merry-Go-Rounds or playing Musical Chairs then this is the place for you! In your first year you are guaranteed:
    • At least one direct report change – I’ve been there for 5 years and I’m on my seventh manager. They make sure that you never get enough time to build rapport with your boss or have enough time under one person so that they can accurately report your growth as an employee. Great way to minimize your yearly merit increase.
    • A change in your daily duties/ responsibilities – They loooove to call refer to these job description changes as “new challenges” and “a way to express your creativity” and of course when all else fails…. the truth is spilt “these changes reflect the new needs of the company so these needs will be met (with or without you). I was hired as an outbound Customer Care Representative. Within my first 18 months I became an inbound/outbound Customer Care Representative who performed Lead duties such as adding members to the system and tracking referrals. Little by little they add/ change what you were hired to do – I ended up being on a special project (that the company could only keep up for two operational years) being more of a case manager than anything else. Merit increase… 3%.
    • To see a certain type rise to the top, while you do their work and get no credit – This company likes to promote from within…. but you will soon realize that there is a distinct “type” that is allowed to do so. They pride themselves on diversity, and it can be seen in a way: Blacks and Browns in “menial” positions (customer service, some health coaching positions, caseworkers), Blacks and Whites in lower management (mind you MOST of these people do not have prior managerial training nor do they get adequate training before they are given their own team), these they shuffle around like a pack of playing cards, and then there is a large middle management team that surprisingly does not reflect the “diversity” that is seen in the call centers. I liken it to the effect severe disruption has on the ocean: White seafoam that sits serenely on top of toiled colored water.

Advice to Management

Yeah.... right

"Accountant I"

Current Employee - Accountant II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Accountant II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experience, benefits, networking, and vacation

Cons

Takes Advantage of People

Advice to Management

Notice when Seniors and Management are not working. Do not allow management and subordinates to date.

"Disorganized and old-school"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team has good work/life balance (although not true of all teams)
    Decent pay and benefits
    Good location in St. Louis
    Room to move up in the company and easy to move around the company
    Coworkers are great

Cons

Other teams, and specifically managers and above on any team, have really poor work/life balance. The burnout comes around quickly.
    Strict business professional dress code (ties and panty hose are actually included in the official dress code).
    Difficult to work from home (frowned upon).
    Company is very disjointed and disorganized. Makes it very difficult to accomplish much.
    Company culture is very meeting-oriented, which contributes to the lack of work/life balance (spend all day in meetings, still have work to do at night).
    Managers tend to micro-manage, which impedes productivity and decreases morale.
    Do not feel that leadership is open or transparent about the current state or future expectations of the company. Do not trust the CEO. Do not feel that Centene focuses enough on its mission to improve the health of members.

Advice to Management

Focus more on work/life balance to prevent such high turnover. I've been here 2 years and am on my 6th supervisor already. It hinders work and increases anxiety. Try to bring the company into the 21st century. It's difficult to bring in the best and brightest when you're stuck in a time of business professional attire and working from the office exclusively, ESPECIALLY when St. Louis competitors have already backed off of that stuffy attitude. Also focus on open and transparent communication. As it is now, the employees feel left in the dark about pretty much everything.

"It used to be a great lace to work"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the department, work balance is good. Work from home options. Generous time off.Culture is very inclusive to a variety of people. Lots of charity work.Very good ay and promotions for those who work hard.

Cons

The recent merger with HealthNet brought some unwelcome changes.
    Disconnect between departments
    Lack of communication from upper management
    Health insurance changed for the worse with the merger.

Advice to Management

Better communication between departments. Don't lay off people that have made this company great just to bring in the new people from the merger.

"Operational Quality Analyst II"

Current Employee - Operations Quality Analyst II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Quality Analyst II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefit package, nice office building, good company morale

Cons

No work from home opportunities, PTO package is good until you hit 8 yrs then you get nothing more