Centene Reviews | Glassdoor

Centene Reviews

Updated May 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • A lot of overtime without pay, work/life balance is not a top priority here (in 56 reviews)

• Vacation time was hard to come by and limited work from home options (in 20 reviews)

"CSR I"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Centene full-time

Pros

Pay is ok for a call center
    The location is good- lots of places to eat located close by

Cons

Almost too many to list. Employees in the call center are treated like children. If you get up to go to the bathroom, you will more than likely return to find a pop up message from someone saying "you've been inactive for more than two minutes, is there something we can help you with?" Yes, I'm being serious.
     Getting a passing score on audits is almost impossible.
     When you need to follow up with a member, you're supposed to do it between calls. Yes- between calls.
     There is no reason for the call center to be open until 8pm. People have families and working until 8pm makes it hard to have any quality time with loved ones.
     Trying to field billing calls is absolutely ridiculous. Member's invoices are never in line with what they actually owe, which is upsetting for members when they call to make a payment.
    Many reps just transfer members off to another number or say anything to get off the phone with them rather than taking the time and trying to help them, which doubles the work because those members call back, angry, and someone else has to deal with them. Having to have about thirty different programs, websites, job aides, and vendor sites up on your monitor and then being expected to have no "dead air" when you take a call and you're trying to utilize those resources to help a member is not logical.
    And forget about using the "Escalation lines"- those people will do absolutely anything to NOT take the call, including talking to you like you're stupid and treating you like YOU should have done more to appease the member because they don't want to deal with the call and/or don't know how.
    There is not enough time alotted for entering notes when taking member calls. If you try to enter notes while on the phone, how are you supposed to be listening to the member and talking to them? But if you wait until after the call and try to enter notes that make sense and sound intelligent, you'll get pop-ups from those same pests that message you when you go to the bathroom, letting you know that you're taking too long doing something other than what they want you to be doing.
    Just as a general rule of thumb, the employees there never looked happy. Probably because they weren't. I know I wasn't.
     In hindsight, I wish I had considered all of the HORRIBLE reviews I read about this place before I went ahead and applied. They were true. I guess that's what I get for thinking an adult could work in a call center. This place is only for people who don't mind being treated like a little kid who can't do anything right and need a computer program to tell them when they can get up and go to the bathroom. No, thank you.

Advice to Management

My advice to management- read the remarks in "cons" and address those issues in your call center and you might have less turnover.

"RN CM"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Fairport, NY
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Fairport, NY

I worked at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Salary and benefit package

Cons

Chaotic, knee jerk reaction to issues, poor leadership.

Advice to Management

Wake up

"OB care management department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, great salary and benefits. Usually will get bonuses but not always a guarantee

Cons

It has not always been this way but my advice is to currently stay away from this department. Current management does not care about the employees or their satisfaction. It is a very negative work environment. The department is discouraged from communicating or voicing concerns and if they do they are met with passive aggressiveness. Upper level management's main concern is how much money they can save the company. Keeping the employees or the members happy are absolutely not a concern and the work environment is extremely stressful most of the time.

Advice to Management

Actually treat your employees as an asset, stop micromanaging and allow communication to promote a more positive work environment.

"OB Case Management"

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time

Pros

Benefits, amenities, community service, good vision

Cons

NO work life balance. No care for safety of field employees, should have hazard pay for some areas. "OB nurses" don't actually have OB experience. Expectations are unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they actually matter. Management should actually speak to employees and be KIND.

"Great Workplace...if You"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Centene (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoy churning data to inflate outreach statistics

Enjoy earning accrued PTO while being forbidden to use it (for business priorities) (Oh, yes, and no option for a payout upon resignation.)

Love to be ridiculed and monitored for exceeding production expectations

Can't live without a supervisor at your neck in the few moments he/she is not hibernating behind a closed door.

Like having your resume added to the round file because your current employer is Centene

Love to work a schedule similar to a burger flipper with an 8th grade schedule.

Revel in having every moment (including bathroom breaks) recorded and monitored. Like asking to go potty...send them an application! They can make it happen for you.

enjoy being broke with no future growth on the horizon...Centene is the best!! (But, they are great at making promises.)

Cons

There are no cons if you fit the profile in the pros field.

Advice to Management

Pull your head out.

"Centene is a great company to work for in the St. Louis area."

Current Employee - Accountant I in Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Accountant I in Clayton, MO

Pros

They have a great campus with an awesome cafe, it is in a great location with many restaurants around, and the management is organized.

Cons

A lot of overtime without pay, work/life balance is not a top priority here.

"Operational Quality Analyst II"

Current Employee - Operations Quality Analyst II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Quality Analyst II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Centene full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefit package, nice office building, good company morale

Cons

No work from home opportunities, PTO package is good until you hit 8 yrs then you get nothing more

"Poor Management and Unethical"

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Centene full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay well because they have to in order to keep people from jumping ship

Cons

They make a lot of money off of Medicaid. And they don't really care about the clients. The front line staff does, but the management has no idea what they front line staff does and couldn't do their job if they needed to. HR also fosters a culture of management doesn't need to know how to do their employees job. I think this is very dangerous for a company because management will never know how things work.

Advice to Management

Learn what your staff does, how to do it and understand daily operations.

"Good Company Overall"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Maitland, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Maitland, FL

I worked at Centene full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, opportunity to grow, holidays off

Cons

Florida office in Maitland is a mess, theres not enough staff, once u finish training they put u all by urself on the floor. The QA dept dont know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Improve ur QA dept. get more floor support

"Miserable"

Former Employee - Business Analyst I in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Business Analyst I in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Centene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Variety of different people and there are different departments to work in.

Cons

No training, management was never around and the interview process was unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like people and not robots.