Cover image for Centene

Found 3,881 of over 4K reviews

3.7
Centene CEO Sarah London
Sarah London

What people are saying about Centene

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Centene? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Centene employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits CEO has a vision that is working to help keep the company growing and to make it through the changes with AFA(in 494 reviews)
  • "Pay is good and higher than other companies as far as I can tell.(in 322 reviews)
  • "Work from home and flexible(in 146 reviews)
  • "Some great people at this company that is bogged down by silos and exec level egos.(in 129 reviews)
  • "Salary is good but not fornyou mental health(in 95 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management/ micromanage form supervisors/unnecessary meetings(in 230 reviews)
  • "No work life balance since forced to work overtime during the week and on the weekend....for months!(in 133 reviews)
  • "It started with the poor leadership and it continues.(in 103 reviews)
  • "No training provided A lot of turnover within the company(in 93 reviews)
  • "the managers have no care to the employees or contractors and bringing this up to directors falls on deaf ears.(in 85 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Centene and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Culture

Feb 4, 2023 - Care Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

I loved working with my colleagues. My manager was had an open door policy and very approachable. Definitely, a workplace I would recommend for seasoned Nurses and Social Workers.

Cons

Caseloads could get overwhelming at times.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

It was great! And then HealthNet came along.

Jun 12, 2017 - Manager in Clayton, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

I loved the work and for 6 years was happy with what I did. I knew I made a difference and did my job well. Not many has the same skill set I did and there was always work to do.

Cons

1. It's an old white boys club. I say that as a white individual. It sucks that's how MFN rolls. They say they value diversity but they don't. They will have a token diverse person in an exec role but they're there to be a face, not make any changes or impact. 2. They pay really well but that hurts when you leave. 3. They layoff the good people and keep the undereducated white males. Why? See #1 above. 4. They don't want you if you are female and over 40. Think I'm lying? See the number of females 40+ who got hit in the January "reorganization." 5. HR is a joke. Talent acquisition couldn't find their rear ends with both hands and a map. So many excuses on why they didn't do their jobs. 6. MFN said the HealthNet employees needed to learn the Centene way and the Centene way would prevail. He lied. 7. They never entertained the idea of working from home. At all. Even a 25% WFH option would cut costs and improve morale.

427 people found this review helpful

Centene Response

Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking time to leave a detailed review. Your commentary is already helping to make us better. We strive to prioritize the success of our employees and want them to feel supported. Centene Corporation is fully committed to an inclusive work space where all feel welcome and valued. Again, thank you for your comments.

3. Join the Centene team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to work

Jan 19, 2023 - Provider Relations Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Flexible schedules -Paid holidays including a floater to accommodate cultural differences -Compensation overall is okay -No meeting black out days to give focus days to get things done -CEO Sarah London is extremely smart, progressive, forward thinking leader -Potential of 14 week paid maternity leave -Earned time -Front loaded sick time

Cons

-Lots of meetings, a lot only have a small part that applies to your specific role -Compensation ranges by letter but there’s no guarantee to make the range associated with the letter range. -Low balling for salaries is very much so happening -Top heavy bonus structure- recently ripped away bonuses from lower paid employees and gave increased bonuses to higher paid employees -Confusing bonus structure- little to no knowledge of what and when bonuses are or might come - Compartmentalized departments “not my job” and don’t always see the big picture of what their piece is - unrealistic goals- not adjusted down when it’s too high, but adjusted to more if you’re doing well and meet the goal ahead of time

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Company is full of wolves...

Jan 31, 2023 - Utilization Management in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Money was good and people were kind when before one's face.

Cons

Everything aside from my pay was a nightmare most of the time. Now, I am no saint. This company is the epitome of why America is failing and is on national hospice entering 2023. Centene is a wolf masquerading as a caring shepherd for all: employees, shareholders, and least of all= those poor folks who have Centene in charge of their Medicaid/Medicare. To work here= suspend your own soul and prepare to deny others healthcare they need to please your boss (make monthly supervision go better). Who cares about 1...or even 10... enrollee(s) or beneficiaries of a healthpolicy? Nobody, except for Centene and how to squeeze every ounce of profit from that poor American neighbor. When some generation wakes up in America and makes PUBLIC all things people should NOT be motivated to profit off of (i.e. healthcare; prisons)? The way we look back in horror at slavery and working conditions in 1800s/early 1900s? That moral horror is EXACTLY how anyone with a conscience will view American healthcare/prisons from 1945-> present. Centene allows you to profit off the ME train until it consumes you.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great company to build relationships

Jan 17, 2023 - Incentive Compensation Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a former Business Analyst for the Centene company, i enjoyed the ability to successfully network with different departments. The office i worked in was very clean, bright and friendly. The salary vs the hourly attitude was not present and most people smiled and kept an upbeat attitude.

Cons

Training Department - More comprehensive and detailed focused training needs to be in place Demand Vs Expectation

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Love working at Centene

Dec 20, 2022 - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Clayton, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

In an organization as large as Centene, there is almost no area of expertise that does not have a role or opening...it's a one-stop career shop. Depending on your role\manager, there is a lot of autonomy giving (me anyway) the ability to use my skills and judgement to make decisions to make our department better positioned to serve those that serve our members. Centene offers great pay and benefits as well as the opportunity to work remotely.

Cons

Things are ever changing in the health care industry. A "saying" we have is "If you don't like things now, stick around, they will change". If you are not adaptable to change, then Centene may not be a good fit. Additionally, as with any large organization, things take time.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

New Hire - Wonderful Onboarding Process

Jan 4, 2023 - Senior Associate Brand Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interview process was a great experience. I was kept informed of the next steps and/or of any upcoming changes. I am currently on week 2 and the onboarding process has been one of the best and most thorough I have experiences, especially in a fully remote environment. My equipment arrived well before my start date, however one of my monitors was broken. I was promptly sent another 2 days later. Everyone I worked with from the interview process to getting set up were all very pleasant and helpful. Being in a remote environment, it can be hard to navigate your first week, but due to the process CNC has in place, it was rather simple. I believe I made the right choice joining Centene!

Cons

None as of week 2! :)

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Not what it use to be

Jan 27, 2023 - Corporate Trainer in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, & overall good company

Cons

In my department it was hard to get promoted unless you were a personal friend of leaderships. The quality of onboarding went way down with the merge with Wellcare. There was a huge turn-around in upper leaderhsip in my department. Over 8 years I had 4- diferent supervisors, 5- different managers, 5- different directors and 4- different vice presidents. So there was a lot of unnecessary change that affected employee engagement, and the quality of work.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A diamond in the rough; the best pharmacist employer in the U.S.A.!

Jan 3, 2023 - Pharmacist
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for Centene as a pharmacist for 5 months now and I am still waiting for the "catch". The leadership has been warm and accessible with a glaring absence of drama or micromanagement. The work/life balance has been spookily relaxing, similar to what I imagine life being like working in the Nordic countries; I work 9-6 M-F at home in my jammies. My colleagues are smart and kind and helpful. And more importantly than anything... the WORK is fulfilling. Centene genuinely cares about transforming the health of the community, one person at a time, and so do I. Compensation is honorable. Benefits are ample. Time off is generous. 10/10. A++

Cons

None that I can think of.

Centene Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Centene’s Total Rewards offering which includes access to health insurance, workplace flexibility, and paid time off including caregiver leave.

11. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great benefits and pay, process improvements needed.

Feb 4, 2023 - Provider Network Specialist II in Clayton, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Diverse company to work for with numerous opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Lack of work/life balance and process improvements needed in certain departments.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,881 Reviews
</>Embed

Centene Reviews FAQs

Centene has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 4,170 reviews left anonymously by employees. 71% of employees would recommend working at Centene to a friend and 69% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 7% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Centene employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Centene. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

71% of Centene employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Centene 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Centene to be coworkers, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, culture, management.

Popular Careers with Centene Job Seekers