Cover image for Centene

Add a Review

Centene Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 1, 2021

Found 312 of over 4K reviews

3.6
Centene CEO Sarah London
Sarah London

What people are saying about Centene

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits and remote work capabilities within current COVID restrictions.(in 467 reviews)
  • "Pay is good and higher than other companies as far as I can tell.(in 324 reviews)
  • "Work from home is flexible(in 142 reviews)
  • "Some great people at this company that is bogged down by silos and exec level egos.(in 120 reviews)
  • "Salary is good but not fornyou mental health(in 101 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management/ micromanage form supervisors/unnecessary meetings(in 221 reviews)
  • "No work life balance since forced to work overtime during the week and on the weekend....for months!(in 129 reviews)
  • "It started with the poor leadership and it continues.(in 108 reviews)
  • "Inconsistent no updates no training very unorganized(in 96 reviews)
  • "the managers have no care to the employees or contractors and bringing this up to directors falls on deaf ears.(in 86 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Centene and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fantastic place to work

Oct 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent company. Great benefits, great leadership, great work-life balance.

Cons

None. This is the best company I have worked for.

2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Can be a good job if you are in the right organization

Aug 25, 2021 - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay Engaging work Can be flexible depending on manager

Cons

Lack of work life balance Bad sr management Unrealistic expectations for employees Bad team members are given a free pass and good team member pick up the slack. Management wants to pick and choose what rules apply to salaried employees…for example we are expected to work unlimited hours per day….but at the same time told we have to be on a schedule like an hourly employee and we have to take PTO in 4 hour blocks even to leave an hour early. No room for growth professionally at all

3 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Centene team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0

Happy to work at Centene

Nov 12, 2021 - Care Manager II
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and benefits Flexible schedule Good work life balance Clear expectations

Cons

Must be able to quickly adapt to changes in the work process. Heavy on compliance, lacking professional development/advancement

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

"Good ol Boys Club"

Sep 11, 2021 - Systems Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent Pay/benefits Good opportunities if you are on the right team

Cons

If you are a racial minority prepare to be passed up for promotion Poor work life balance Constant turnover due to poor management They don't let go of toxic employees that have been poisoning the company for years They were supposed to provide a roadmap to allow folks to have career opportunities and failed to provide it let alone stick to it. They will continue to lose all of their good employees and don't appear to care as to why it keeps happening. They like to claim that they are all about diversity and inclusion but there is clearly a ceiling as to how far you can go. There is a reason that you will see not a see an African American in any high position at Centene's Information Technology department let alone in Cyber Security.

6. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Top talent and great leadership

May 29, 2021 - Senior Director in Clayton, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

I work with some of the most well educated, talented, hard working employees and peers. My department puts mission/culture first in alignment with our 3 key pillars. I believe Sr. Leadership stays true to our companies roots. I appreciate MFN’s strong stance against racism and discrimination. The time and resource he has put into Ferguson, St. Louis, Charlotte and other charitable causes is admired. The Clayton campus is state of the art and impressive. It is encouraged to spend time investing in professional development. I feel like it is easy to retain top talent. Work/life balance is easy to achieve and very busy times are cyclical. Pay and benefits are above average.

Cons

Culture over bottom line success is refreshing but I worry it is not sustainable in the long run. Technology, platforms, dashboards are outdated and made WAH harder. I don’t fully believe bonuses are paid out due to contributions. MFN is a brilliant leader and made Centene the success it is today, but realistically he is in his late 70’s and there is no clear succession plan. I worry what kind of chaos or disruption will ensue if this is not socialized or has to be implemented quickly.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great place to grow

Sep 14, 2021 - Senior Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been able to grow my career at Centene. I've enjoyed the professional challenges and the opportunity to meet strong, progressive leaders.

Cons

The fast pace can be frenetic at times, which forces you to work hard to maintain work/life balance. However, I've found most of my managers have encouraged hard work, followed by recovery time.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee

A summary of things here

Aug 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

8 hr days and having every weekend off along with all of the government holidays off, they are all paid holidays as well.

Cons

Frequent changes, the left hand doesn’t always know what the right hand is doing and the auditors a tough, sometimes the work life balance can be hard as they are very focused on productivity, which doesn’t always translate if you are a case manager on a difficult case.

9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Old, outdated company culture. Stay away.

Aug 18, 2021 - Business Development
    Business Outlook

Pros

*Co-workers that are passionate about the healthcare space. *A lot of co-workers said that they are unhappy with work-life balance. I found balance, at least in my role. *Commitment to DEI.

Cons

*Very formal. The offices are very formal, the dress code is very formal, the way people talk is very formal, the HR policies are very formal. *Old-school CEO with old school beliefs about growing talent. *Enjoy work from home. You likely will be expected to go back to the office 5 days a week in the near future.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work for

Oct 14, 2021 - Community Health Worker in Detroit, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

They really seem to care about employees. Flexible schedule and PTO, bonuses and incentives, very collaborative team and positive work environment. Management promotes good work life balance.

Cons

Training and communication are poor (due to working remote)

11. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Some Insensitive Managers

Aug 17, 2021 - Regulatory Operations Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is good and so are the benefits. The work-life balance is good when things slow down and it is not. so hectic..

Cons

The workload can be very stressful at times and sometimes management can be very insensitive. Also, this company does not offer a pension plan to it's employees.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 312 Reviews