Center For Behavioral Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Needs Better Management"

Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor
    Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor

I worked at Center For Behavioral Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours are nice, pay isn't bad, great coworkers, allowed organize your own work

Cons

No real consequences for substance abuse other than benzos, patients feel entitled because they're self pay and want to get in and out as quick as possible, this leaves for very untherapeutic meetings with them.

Advice to Management

Be supportive of your counseling staff! They are working hard and aren't trying to sabotage your business, but do need regular check ins to not miss things or to fix errors. Don't come off as if your employees are always doing something wrong, teach and correct but don't blame! Spend some money on the place, make your employees feel appreciated!!!

2. "Rewarding and great learning experience"

I worked at Center For Behavioral Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn
    Opportunities to work with multiple populations
    Facilitates development of creative counseling ideas

Cons

Pay is sometimes below the average in the area. (If you work hard though, you get rewarded)
    Lots of turnover due to burn out and challenging population

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. This is a great program and company to work for.

3. "Dispensing nurse"

Former Employee - Dispensing Nurse in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Dispensing Nurse in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Center For Behavioral Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Early hours, fast pace. The nursing job can be monotonous at times. Which can be a plus...you get very good at your job. Nurse has the ability to build relationships with the patients they are dispensing medication to.

Cons

You accrue pto very very slow. You have no sick days. You get sick or want to take time off your pto is used even if you request non paid. Nurses do not have access to free ceu's. The company makes you pay out of pocket to update your BLS but spin it and say if you must take a class during work hours you will receive pay... If short staffed you will work every Saturday and you may not receive any flex time to compensate for working Saturday. They will offer overtime but after awhile it drains you. They run through staff like toilet paper. Probably due to overworking and underpaying their employees. Bare bone basic supplies are purchased. Good luck receiving what others might label as basic necessities...pens, stapler, 3 hole punch. They order supplies every 3 months so if you run out of something management doesn't offer to buy it (even though they are provide a company credit card) and the employee will usually pitch in with their own money to bring in supplies like paper towels, soap, sanitizing wipes, etc. The company won't even offer to purchase a new refrigerator for the clinic so staff can have a place to store their lunch. They would rather someone volunteer to "donate" extravagant, luxury items such has a refrigerator. If their is a loop hole to anything...this company has found it and good at manipulating it. And since turn over is crazy...patients become very upset, quite often relapse but you will always be overworked and offered overtime!

Advice to Management

Bottom line value your employee. Strive for more than basic and cheap. You are for profit...but come on.

4. "Counselor"

I worked at Center For Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

CBH makes Hell a more desirable location to work. So if you can survive here for any length if time, then kid, you'll move mountains.

Cons

Everything. They are a cheap, uncaring, greedy, and abusive company. The owners put profit over the well being of both the employees and patients.

Advice to Management

At least pretend to be human.

5. "Counselor"

Former Employee - Counselor in Monroe, LA
    Former Employee - Counselor in Monroe, LA

I worked at Center For Behavioral Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great clinic team, have a strong general care for patients. Very knowledgeable supervisors.

Cons

Very high counselor turnover due to high caseload which leave patients very unstable unfortunately. Lack of verbal appreciation for employees which sometimes led to a toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Show more simple/free appreciation to employees and patients. Do more to end the revolving door.

6. "Counselor"

I have been working at Center For Behavioral Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Internship experience, competitive wage, free supervision

Cons

early morning hours. fast work pace.

7. "Its a life-changer"

I have been working at Center For Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

The company has good pay, fair caseloads for patient to counselor ratios, and the staff is great.

Cons

The hours are 5am-1pm, so its a total life change to get to work so early. The health insurance offered is expensive and they dont have security in the building, even though some patients can become irrate.

Advice to Management

Get some security for the buildings to ensure the safety of staff and other patients.

8. "It's As Good as You Make It"

Current Employee - Program Director in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Program Director in Bowling Green, KY

Pros

Any job can be frustrating but at CBH you learn while helping make a difference in the lives of countless people. The people I work with are amazing and skilled, the patients are appreciative, and the compensation is in direct proportion to the amount of work I put in. You don't get paid to sit on your fanny and play on Facebook. If I work hard for the company, they will work hard for me.

Cons

Because this is a for-profit BUSINESS, it is in the habit of making money. With that said, upper management isn't quick to throw money away on frivolous things that might make a self-absorbed counselor happy. This gets translated as "being cheap", when in fact it is being business minded. Unfortunately, because the company owners know how to run a business and not give in to ever liberally minded social worker they have a high turn-over rate. This is the biggest con - because it effects the patients.

Advice to Management

Compliment your staff - EVERYDAY. It doesn't cost anything. Do it often and be genuine.

9. "Rewarding work with an unpredictable, toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Counselor in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Counselor in Louisville, KY

I worked at Center For Behavioral Health (More than a year)

Pros

The counselors are amazing, passionate about their work and incredibly knowledgable. Counselors worked together very well, always willing to work as a team and help each other out. Clinical supervision for licensure is offered if there is room. On-site supervision for CADC and general supervision for all counselors offered. My immediate supervisor was great, gave a lot of positive feedback and had amazing clinical skills. Working with the patients was the most rewarding part. Not a lot of them truly wanted counseling, there were a lot that just wanted the medication, but even seeing how quickly the medication could help them feel better and be more functional was amazing. And the clients who did want the counseling were interesting, engaged and really good people. I miss my patients to this day. Getting off work at 1pm was nice even if getting up that early was tough. They were also flexible with time-off, you got a day off during the week when you had to work a weekend and they worked with you even if you didn't have enough PTO.

Cons

Low compensation, although I believe this has changed and they now offer better wages. Poor benefits that are very costly to employees, no short-term disability. At times the harm reduction philosophy was pushed so far as to be negligent, such as continuing to dose patients who were abusing large amounts of benzodiazepines or still using IV heroin, thus putting them at risk for withdrawal. When this was 'staffed' with management, the solution was to require the patient to attend group as well as individual counseling - which they often did not, and management would still put off referring them to inpatient. I understand not wanting to push people out of treatment, but it was playing with fire. There was also no recourse for clients who didn't attend counseling, the counselors would get dinged for it instead. Peer review system often punished counselors for mistakes their predecessors had made, and although management insisted peer reviews didn't REALLY matter, they were taken into account for raises. I witnessed management pick out certain employees and, there is no other word for it, bully them. Caseloads were much higher than explained at hiring, and higher than state limits, but if counselors didn't see every client every week they got dinged. Consistently unrealistic expectations of paperwork and workload, lack of positive feedback and abundance of criticism, and inconsistent policies and procedures. There were several times when I would ask 3 Team Leads the same question and get 3 different answers, because no one knew. Promotions are based on popularity with the management, not qualifications, and management will tell counselors they shouldn't be friends outside of work or they won't be able to move up.

Advice to Management

Listen to your counselors, offer fair compensation for the workload and stress level, find a better system for dealing with continued use, offer more paid time off, scheduled lunch breaks that counselors won't have to leave in the middle of, offer more positive feedback and support and streamline policies and procedures so everyone is on the same page.

10. "Do not believe the So-called good reviews!"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Center For Behavioral Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely Nothing! They are con artists!

Cons

If I can keep one soul from falling into the Hell that is this company than I am happy. Do not believe positive reviews they are most likely people who run the company leaving the information. This company will hire you in at a already low salary and then when you notice they are paying you $2 less than what was agreed, they say that all their nurses start at this salary. Also the health insurance offered is so high you cannot afford it. Do yourself a HUGE favor and do not work here! The fact that they try to con you into a low salary is grounds enough to pass it by. I am not lying they offered me a low salary of $18, I agreed to it. First check they paid me $16 and I was told that this was what everyone starts out as! This of course is after you have already put your two weeks in at your last job and are in a way stuck until you find something else. This was not a mistake, this is policy! Another nurse relayed the same thing happening to her. DO NOT WORK HERE!

Advice to Management

Close down!