Center For Discovery Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Craig Brown, Ph.D

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free food, good clinical experience (in 8 reviews)

• Working with a supportive staff- great communication between facility coordinator/primary therapist and program director (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no work/personal life balance, many requirements with minimal amount of training (in 9 reviews)

• They are expanding nation wide but cutting support staff (diet-techs especially) and can't seem to afford to pay their employees for the time they give (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good Management Exposure"

Former Employee - Facility Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Facility Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Center For Discovery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule assuming your Program Director is accommodating.
    Mostly autonomous position.
    Variety in workday responsibilities

Cons

24/7 Management On-Call responsibilities
    Frequent need to hire staff due to turnover

2. "Overall a Good Company"

Current Employee - Counselor II in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Counselor II in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is made up of mostly very empathetic and open minded individuals that work as a team and is dedicated to helping clients, which fosters a positive work atmosphere.

You get to work in a very nicely furnished work environment.

You are given two weeks of training if you are starting up a new facility, where you have time to get to know and interact with your coworkers.

Cons

The hourly pay is terrible. For a for-profit company, they should invest in their employees to show they actually value you. I have a Masters in Psychology, as do many other of my coworkers, and I do not even make $17/hour. Even with negotiating, you still are unlikely to get the amount you value yourself at.

If you are starting up a new house, you might feel like you were thrown under the bus after training because you don't know if what you are doing is correct, but you do your best.

Advice to Management

Keep someone from start-up/training at a new house to make sure the transition from training through the facility opening date runs smoothly and that staff (FM, PD, PT, and Counselors) are following the correct policies and completing all required company procedures. 3-4 weeks would've been ideal for our facility.

Having 2 counselors required at an 8 bed facility is very challenging, especially in emergency situations where one counselor must leave with a ct. to the ER. Leaving 1 staff member with 7 cts is overwhelming and from my perspective, negligent. You cannot effectively perform your job and there will be many oversights and errors that could result in more danger to the clients.
    Therefor it would be a wise idea to hire a 3rd permanent counselor as well as an On Call overnight counselor for when there are 1 to 1s.

"Primary Therapist"

Current Employee - Primary Therapist in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Primary Therapist in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Center for Discovery offers immense growth opportunities, paid professional trainings, positive staff culture, and competing salaries. The staff works as a team and truly cares about each individual's recovery process.

Cons

Budget cuts (including staff hours) have been challenging, but the beauty of this company is that creativity is encouraged and welcomed, which has helped out team work through the challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue to value your staff as you have been doing. Keep salaries competitive and you will continue to have dedicated staff. Bravo!!

4. "Counselor III"

Current Employee - Counselor in East Quogue, NY
    Current Employee - Counselor in East Quogue, NY

I have been working at Center For Discovery part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice work environment and paid training.

Cons

Not enough training and poor management

5. "Decent job"

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff and director are great. The job is challenging yet rewarding

Cons

Advice to Management

Greater pay will decrease turnovers. Don't overwhelm staff and management. Give people expectations and one area of focus

6. "Primary Therapist"

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in a beautiful facility, with other caring professionals. The majority of the client's and families we serve are wonderful individuals who are grateful for the help we provide. I work with a team that values me and I feel appreciated. It's a family like environment, within a work setting.

Cons

Residential is fast paced, and at times it's hard to keep up and manage your workload. I put in a lot of late nights, however the schedule is flexible and I never have to work weekends.

"Program Director"

Current Employee - Program Director in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Program Director in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked with the company for 4 years and have worked my way up from a floor counselor to my current position. I have had opportunities to travel to various locations and the Home office truly cares about each and every facility. Last year I spoke to the CEO and he remembered my name and personally thanked me for my work within the company...now tell me how often does that happen in such a large company? Discovery truly cares about their employees and if you are passionate and work hard, you can go very far in this organization!

Cons

As a core treatment team member, you are required to take on-call once a month which could pose difficult if you are a busy person and/or have a family. I don't find it too difficult though!

Advice to Management

Continue educating employees on opportunities for training and growth!

"Low Pay & Slack Leadership"

Current Employee - Residential Counselor
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is pretty easy overall. You eat for free, and the clients are pretty awesome. Also your co-workers make the difference btwn a good and a bad day.

Cons

The pay is ridculous. They pay college and graduate degree level professionals like they are still in highschool working at the mall.

Advice to Management

Actually give a d*** about your floor team. CFD proclaims to care so much about its employees but it is very much obvious that isn't the truth. The benefits, vacation and pay prove that 2x over.

"Diet Technician"

I have been working at Center For Discovery part-time

Pros

The clients and the team are by far the best part about working for CFD. Its great experience and a great atmosphere to work in

Cons

Corporate is not supportive of their employees. We get paid very minimally for intensive jobs. Diet techs in residential are only allowed to work 4 hour shift and must complete all of their tasks (grocery shopping, cooking dinner, menu planning, cleaning fridge/freezer, checking expiration dates on food/beverages.. etc.) in that time slot. I have had to stay beyond my designated 4 hours multiple times for no pay because the amount of tasks that must be done in that timeframe are ridiculous. I also worked at outpatient where diet techs are not needed unless there are more than 12 clients. Work is very hit and miss and sometimes you do not work for months during which many things can change.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees proper wages, allot more time for diet techs to work

"not getting the message"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

client experience, house staff is great, free food, free supervision, opportunities, 30 hours count as full time, caring core team, friends

Cons

unsupported by corp, lack of pay, overworks employees, new staff make more money than old, promises are made and not done by corp, staff are passed up for promotions, benefits, corp has no clue what they're doing

Advice to Management

don't have corp who backstab or cut corners to make money. care about your employees and maybe you wouldn't lose them