Center For Discovery Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Craig Brown, Ph.D

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free food, good clinical experience (in 8 reviews)

• Working with a supportive staff- great communication between facility coordinator/primary therapist and program director (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, not sustainable to raise family even as full time worker (in 8 reviews)

• It is vital to be able to give yourself the self care you deserve in this job, and to ask for support when you need it (in 4 reviews)

1. "Clinical Outreach"

Current Employee - Clinical Outreach
    Current Employee - Clinical Outreach

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful and supportive company to work for. Management is always wanting to hear new ideas and feedback from staff. Outreach position is flexible and the team is amazing!

Cons

Pay is comparable to other treatment facilities but could be higher.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and engaging your employees, it is of great value.

"Love working at the Whittier house"

Current Employee - Therapist in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Therapist in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super laid-back work atmosphere, very tight-knit team, lots of flexibility to individualize the therapeutic work for each client.

Lots of opportunities to grow within the company -- the company is opening up new houses all the time, and lots of people are getting promoted or getting transfers based on their career/family plans.

Cons

Therapists are paid pretty well here, but many of the other positions are low-paying for what they are.

3. "The best place I have ever worked!"

Current Employee - Counsleor III in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Counsleor III in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of room for advancement. I have moved up in this company several times. They help me grow as a person and always give me feedback and ways to improve and grow. A company that honestly cares about the clients and staff. Great place to learn daily. Able to help people on a daily basis.

Cons

Can be emotionally draining. Some co-workers are negative and not professional. I see a lot of negative reviews from staff that were let go or never should have worked here. It is sad. I would like the health insurance to be a bit better.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Wish we all had the time to know each other personally. While this is a big and growing company, a senior management person always speaks to me when I text or call. Keep improving the benefits each year.

"Don't let a few bad apples fool you-CFD is the best in the business"

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at several behavioral health companies and CFD is the best in terms of its philosophy. Supportive ambitious leadership, major growth opportunities, 401K, awesome coworkers. no matter your position you have opportunities for your voice to be heard and give feedback

Cons

Of course working in mental health treatment especially residential can be challenging but that's anywhere; low pay for counselors but if you're getting your hours then it's not a big deal. benefits got better this year but still have a ways to go.

Advice to Management

Continue to make staff appreciation a priority-it has gone a long way. let go of the employees that have no right being there (or in the mental health field at all); but to be fair it seems like with the size of this company its running pretty well; Dr. Brown visits each facility, has an open door policy and if you've ever heard him talk is clearly a very intelligent and humble guy.

5. "Love these kids!!"

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work with some great people. We work with emotionally unstable teens and help them and their families get back on track. I am a masters student and love working at CFD. I am able to gain some hours toward my internship and get paid doing it! The kids here are difficult and need a lot of support. I am learning form them every day.

Cons

I wish I made more money, as we all do. When I first started I had to work mostly nights and weekends. Great for when I was in school but would now like some more day shifts. Sometimes the clients parents can be rude to staff.

Advice to Management

Always let all staff know about openings to move up in the organization. Offer less expensive benefits package. Would be great to have even more trainings and CEU available in the future.

6. "Counselor"

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn about eating disorders and the treatment of them. The team is wonderful and I really like the location. Great team to work with and grow. A lot of room for advancement.

Cons

Salary to start was low. I had a conflict with one other staff member when I started, but that was resoled. Working with the clients can be sad when they do not want to recover and refuse to work in treatment.

Advice to Management

You are great!

7. "Salary"

Current Employee - Nurse in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Nurse in La Jolla, CA

Pros

Rewarding job good work done

Cons

Crap pay tedious, chaotic and crazy

Advice to Management

Great job!!

8. "An Amazing Program with Amazing Staff Members!"

Current Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The opportunity to play an enormous role in an individual's recovery and personal growth.
    -Hands on training and experience working in a residential treatment setting.
    -A genuine sense of fulfillment through working with adolescent in early recovery.
    -Supportive coworkers.
    -Excellent communication amongst counselors, therapists and program director.
    -Coworkers that genuinely care for the well being of the clients and other staff members.
    -Great experience running groups.
    -A genuine sense of enjoyment by showing up to work.
    -Upper management will always take the time to hear input/suggestion.

Cons

-Shifts can last longer than expected depending on events that take place on shift.
    -Starting pay could be better

Advice to Management

Continue to provide a work place that feels safe, hospitable and nurturing. Encourage more staff members to take advantage of the trainings that take place.

9. "Grateful to be part of this team"

Current Employee - Director of Eating Disorder Outpatient Services in Los Alamitos, CA

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*Grateful to come to work and love the people I work with.
    *Amazing to see this company expand at such a rapid pace and maintain the integrity and emphasis on quality clinical care
    *Happy to be a part of a Management Team with such disciplined passion and heart
    *Being encouraged to have fun at work

Cons

*Nothing constructive at this time. I feel my feedback is heard and respected.

Advice to Management

More team building activities and continuing education

"A Dream Team!"

Current Employee - Program Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Program Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Center For Discovery (Less than a year)

Pros

amazing career development, wonderful balance of clinical and administrative/program development work, getting to learn from a team of experts in the field, passionate team, lots of fun and laughter

Cons

I can't think of any at this time. Part of the Discovery culture is being open about any issues that may arise. I feel that if there were a "con" that it would be addressed effectively.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!