Center For Family Life Reviews | Glassdoor

Gail B. Nayowith

1. "camp counselor"

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Center For Family Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very helpful.
    made sure I got the job I wanted.

Cons

There really is no cons. They made sure that everyone got what they wanted and the were fairly fair.

2. "IT support."

Former Employee - IT Support Intern in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - IT Support Intern in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

This is feel with people that have a great energy and love to help other people. Is a Nonprofit place and what's better than helping other people that need your help.

Cons

I have no down to this company.

"Review of Center for Family Life Community Program at P.S. 971"

Current Employee - Performing Arts Specialist and Education Specialist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Center For Family Life (More than 8 years)

Pros

Encourages and nurtures youth leadership, collective decision-making, and a focus on individual employee needs and overall wellbeing.

Cons

Budgetary cuts contributing to understaffing and challenges in creating effective programming.

5. "It was fun and full filling."

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Center For Family Life part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The kids are great. The counselors are attentive. My co-workers (lifeguard/aquatic) team were great companions. The pay is not the best, but it is pretty decent for the work load. The job is fairly simple. There are also other lifeguards employed by New York City helping out so the job is not hard.

Cons

Some of the counselors are a little immature as they are still in high school. As with any lifeguarding job, the days can get a little dull. Swimming days are from 11AM to 2PM during the hotter hours of the day. The sun is beaming hot so wear sunblock and stay hydrated.

Advice to Management

Ensure counselors are more serious about the kids. Sometimes they just want to play.

6. "It was great being able to meet and help the clients I did but there was a lack of innovation at AEP"

Former Employee - Employment Counselor in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Employment Counselor in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Center For Family Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The clients were great and so were the co-workers.

Cons

There was lack of innovation and there wasn't an urgency to create a better program to help the clients.

Advice to Management

The whole program needs to be restructured so that the program could better serve its clients.

"Great place"

Current Employee - Counselor in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Counselor in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Center For Family Life part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are friendly to the point where it feels like family, comfortable working enviroment, fun, good training and co-workers are always willing to help if you need anything, upstate annual trips are very fun, nice supervisor, working with children is great, learned alot.

Cons

There are too many supervisors telling me what to do, poor communication, poor compensation, mean office manager, tend to scam you in vacation hours or days, loose important documents in which you have to refile those documents which is unfair and staff meetings can be repetitive at times, and cliques and gossiping happens very often.

8. "Very collaborative spirit, sometimes micromanaging"

I worked at Center For Family Life part-time

Pros

I learned so much about working with young adults at CFL. There are so many trained, professional, and compassionate people on staff who are so smart and hardworking. It almost feels you're in school because you learn so much from the colleagues about how to work with young people, communicate, and be part of a team. CFL is also pretty organized and has some solid systems in place. Some of their big productions can done really smoothly because they have patterns down. Also, people are really helpful here. They're willing to help you out, no matter how senior they are, and it's not super stuffy. There's not an emphasis on hierarchy, and they try to make it have more a laid back, direct, family feel. Some staff communicate really well. The meetings really help touch base about stuff. They hire a lot of people, so they usually have a really good staff to client ratio. Also, if you work over 30 hours a week, you can get benefits. Also, if you work at any of the schools, you get to take the same vacation days as the schools (except summer break). Also, they offer tons of internal PD. Now that I've seen some other agencies, I have to say this one really stood out.

Cons

They rely too heavily on part-time workers. I think they could have more fulltime works. Also, sometimes they treat you a little like babies or can micro-manage. There are a lot of really talented part-time people, but it seems really hard and to take a REALLY long time to get promoted -- almost like you have to pay your dues. I feel like I've seen people at other organizations get promoted faster. I think people leave CFL because they're hoping to be given fulltime opportunities and they don't get them, and the salaries are low, even for nonprofit work. Also, sometimes people are given way too much work. I've seen people totally flustered, confused, and disoriented from work, and it's almost like they were set up to fail in some ways. I guess it's frowned upon to say "no" here and people generally go the extra hours, but then it's weird if you're not willing to go way over the top, even if it's exploitation. Also, I agree that the director can be really anxious and frenetic. She can panic, and then others feel stressed.

Advice to Management

Hire more full-time people or promote more people to fulltime so the turnover rate isn't as high. Rather than ask 1 person do 3 jobs, hire more people. Also, try to diversify upper management.

"Youth Worker"

Pros

Meaningful work. Fulfilling assignments. Work-life balance. Cordial inter-colleague relationships. Appreciative clients. Great benefits.

Cons

Horrible management. Co-management style = unclear direction / mixed messages. Being next to the "director" = having to cater to her every whim = loss of independence. Super-low salaries. Too many part-time positions with no benefits = hypocrisy of agency fight for equal rights

Advice to Management

Just let people be. No one who is willing to take this "competitive" salary is unmotivated and undisciplined. Constantly reminding "what we are here for" by the director of the agency is counter-productive.

"Community feeling"

I have been working at Center For Family Life full-time

Pros

Get to make your own hours
    Great vacation time
    Friendly coworkers
    Accessible supervisors

Cons

Low salary
    Over scheduling
    Beholden to clients schedules
    High turnover

Advice to Management

Find a way to retain staff to reduce overworking of other staff members.

11. "Supervisor"

Pros

Flexible schedule, good management and good co-workers

Cons

Horrible pay, you will juggle different job roles for same pay, very little hours, horrible communication, and too many policies to follow.

Advice to Management

Consider working on communication and raises for staff. If a raise isn't optional please don't give staff so much work to do.