Center for Autism and Related Disorders Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Doreen Granpeesheh

Pros
Cons
  • very low pay no room to advance (in 27 reviews)

• The pay is lousy, and there is a lot of driving (in 10 reviews)

1. "Good company"

Current Employee - Behavior Therapist in North Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Therapist in North Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Center for Autism and Related Disorders part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people and friendly staff

Cons

Bad hours and not enough pay

Advice to Management

Be a little more organaized with work schedules

"Horrible Company"

Current Employee - RLT in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - RLT in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Center for Autism and Related Disorders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a flexible schedule

Cons

Pay, hours, staff, all of the above besides making your own schedule. Staff are very petty (including upper level management) and are very passive aggressive in any form of communication (in person and electronically). I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to work here.

Advice to Management

Pay more to employees, give them more hours, hire upper level management who aren't like teenagers, a more organized environment.

3. "Very rewarding but low pay"

Current Employee - Behavior Therapist I in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Behavior Therapist I in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Center for Autism and Related Disorders part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very rewarding job, great interactions with my peers, parents of the kids are appreciative, a lot of different locations that you can transfer to

Cons

Very low pay considering the time/effort you exert as a therapist, very high stress, difficult to get a pay increase

"Apply only if you like being treated like an easily-replaced robot."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Center for Autism and Related Disorders (Less than a year)

Pros

Very casual dress code. Being able to decide when you come in for work.

Cons

This is one of the worst managed companies I have ever worked for. The starting pay is minimum wage, which is way lower than what you deserve to earn for all of the work you have to do. Unless you are 'Level 3' (which are all the directors or higher-ups at Corporate), you do not get paid holidays of paid vacation. The only reason they give paid sick time is because it would be illegal not to. Speaking of paid sick time, you 'earn' 1.3 hours of sick time for every 30 hours you work... So you have to basically work for 3 months to earn 1 sick day.

The company is so focused on opening as many centers as they can that they are lacking in being able to properly staff each established therapy center.

The turnover rate is so high because they treat their employees terrible, including with how poorly the therapists are paid.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees and less on trying to expand the business as much as possible in order to look better when selling the company. It looks as though the main focus is now on the money, and not helping the children unfortunately.

"Overworked, underpayed, underappreicated"

Former Employee - Behavior Therapist in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Therapist in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Center for Autism and Related Disorders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Seeing the progress in the children
    -Sometimes the parents appreciate you

Cons

-The administration is rude
    -The admin. doesn't care if you are sick, they only care about the clients getting their full hours
    -The pay is very low especially for ALL that we have to do
    -Scheduling is a mess, they don't notified you of anything
    -Therapists are not appreciated so they get burnt out very easily
    -Admin. does not care when a therapist quits
    -The therapists complaints go in one ear and out the other
    -The therapists have contracts with the company, if they quite before their contract is up, they owe the company money
    -The supervisors are very bad at communicating with the therapists
    -Therapists feel as if their hard work goes unnoticed

Advice to Management

Pay your therapists the rate that they deserve. Notify them of schedule changes. Appreciate your therapists, without them you would not have a job. Care more about the therapists in general, their health, their needs, their concerns, everything.

7. "Clumsy Managment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I worked at Center for Autism and Related Disorders part-time

Pros

NONE. THERE IS NOTHING REALLY GOOD ABOUT THIS COMPANY.

Cons

Very sloppy management. BCBAs do not know much about ABA.

"False promises, horrible pay, long hours."

Current Employee - Behavior Therapist in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Behavior Therapist in Aurora, CO

Pros

It is awesome to see the difference we make in these kids lives, and super fun to hang out with them during the day. The therapists are all amazing.

Cons

The pay is HORRIBLE. They make tons of false promises when you are hired and then don't actually follow through (health benefits, pay raises, good work atmosphere, etc...) They promise pay raises every three months and make it sound like you will get to a decent salary quickly, but in reality the VERY HIGHEST raise you can get at a time is $0.50!! sometimes raises are only $0.20. They are very stingy about money, not only with salary, but also with supplies for the kids. Therapists are always scavenging for snacks, art supplies (markers), basic necessities such as soap in the bathroom, tissues in the therapy rooms, and hand sanitizer.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a salary they don't have to be embarrassed about. Stop expanding so quickly that clients and their families feel unimportant and disrespected. Be better at scheduling therapists so we don't have hours of "wait time" at the center between sessions. In general, care more about your employees.

"Really rewarding yet very stressful experience"

Current Employee - Behavior Therapist I in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Behavior Therapist I in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Making a difference in a child's life.
    Working with such friendly staff
    Very great opportunity
    Lots of hours available
    You earn points for attendance every month
    Lots of job openings nationwide

Cons

The driving is the worst part.
    Your only paid travel time in between sessions.
    My schedule is always changing.
    Sometimes they will rerouted you to different places without asking you first.
    The super early monthly meetings
    They expect you to have time to study 40+ hours for BCAT or RBT on top of your close to 40 hour work week.
    The iPads are heavy and have lots of glitches
    You only get 3 hall passes per quarter.
    Sometimes they will put you in a room with 3 different kids and 3 different Therapist. Way to many CBS sessions schedule at once and not enough rooms for it.

"Unsafe"

Former Employee - ABA Therapist in Larchmont, NY
    Former Employee - ABA Therapist in Larchmont, NY

I worked at Center for Autism and Related Disorders part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kiddos are great. Flexible scheduling. Tuition assistance other than that there were really no other pros I worked there for a few months and was miserable

Cons

Admin are rude. Larchmont office has very stuck up staff who talk behind Other TX backs. After working there I got really sick 3 months later I found out I had a hernia from lifting kiddos who were bigger than me during tantrums .. very low pay no room to advance

"Absolute chaos. Abuse of a good cause. Guising as a service that "cares and helps""

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Center for Autism and Related Disorders (More than a year)

Pros

The kids are amazing. It's incredible to see the progress in their development.

Cons

Absolute chaos. People are placed in positions without any relevant or useful experience - especially as it relates to operations. Employees on the clinical side are overworked, under-paid and constantly misguided or lied to. People (employees and customers, alike) are bullied, talked about behind their backs - it's a very unprofessional environment. There should be a proper system for hiring and promotion, rather than just trying to open as many offices as possible. CHQ training sessions are useless and an attempt to get people to "Drink the kool-aid".

Advice to Management

Stop expanding so quickly without ensuring your current offices are established. Compensate people appropriately. Go back to your core competency - helping people. Try to gain sight of what you're in the business of doing, rather than pushing to make money as quickly as possible.