KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Center for Autism and Related Disorders

Engaged Employer

Center for Autism and Related Disorders

Add a Review

Center for Autism and Related Disorders Employee Reviews about "aba"

Updated Nov 10, 2021

Found 52 of over 1,212 reviews

Center for Autism and Related Disorders Chief Executive Officer Jennifer Webster
Jennifer Webster

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Training in the meeting room was great I really got to connect with the people there and through out the office.(in 89 reviews)
  • "Coworkers are great and other therapists always have your back.(in 38 reviews)
  • "The people are great and it really feels like a community working toward common goals.(in 36 reviews)
  • "Staff was friendly and helpful(in 28 reviews)
  • "education: they offer many opportunities to expand in the company including trainings for RBT and BCAT.(in 19 reviews)
Cons
  • "Pay is low and they only pay you for client hours while constantly hounding you to stay and clean.(in 148 reviews)
  • "Poor management and lack of trust for their employees.(in 86 reviews)
  • "They claim to have assistant supervisors to support therapist but what support???(in 37 reviews)
  • "Long hours and minimal compensation(in 27 reviews)
  • "Poor communication, required a 24 hour response to job offer(in 26 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Center for Autism and Related Disorders and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "aba"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

CARD pay

Nov 9, 2017 - ABA Therapist in Naperville, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

CARD is good if you have never done ABA since they have an extensive training program.

Cons

They work you so hard and for 12 an hour. Other companies pay double. They also do not listen to you or treat u like a part of the company.

3 people found this review helpful

Jr Project Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our extensive training program. We take pride in providing the best possible training in ABA and providing hugh quality treatment to all of pur patients. In regards to pay, we have many options available to advance and increase your pay. This can be acheived in as little as one month of employment. Additionally, hourly rates vary depending on many factors including location and experience level. We are sorry to hear that you experienced poor communication, we would encourage all Technicians to reach out to their Therapist Liaison for support and guidance with any issues you may experience. Additional resources include your OM, Supervisors and Regional Managers. We have many dedicated individuals who are here to offer support to their CARD family.

2. 4.0

Rewarding job, requires resilience

Apr 9, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

This job makes you feel like you are really making a difference in the lives of children and families. you learn a ton about aba therapy and get a ton of hands on experience working with children with asd. Rewarding to see kids making progress, but can be really discouraging when they have setbacks- you need to be able to not take the job home with you.

Cons

Aggressive behaviors can be hard to manage, some communication breakdowns happen with staff, and the constant data collection can be challenging. Also, expect part time hours.

2 people found this review helpful

Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we appreciate all that you do for the CARD family! We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Was a very promising opportunity (at first)

Sep 25, 2020 - Clinical Lead Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Training is taken seriously at all levels (for Clinical staff only. And the manner in which they evaluate staff could worsen job performance. See Cons for more details) -Center-based means that there is almost no driving throughout the day (as a result, there are very unreasonable expectations on staff. See cons for more details) -Center-based allows for the opportunity to really get to know your co-workers, which is rare in the field of ABA. Many feel a sense of community at work. (can very easily and abruptly turn into a toxic environment. See cons) - Very easy to move up and advance your career (When you reach a certain level, you become privy to the way the company operates. Very disheartening if you notice that no one at the local level has any influence over what goes on at work. ) -Very generous quarterly bonus (if you meet expectations which are unreasonable in certain regions. Many do meet the expectations anyways. And the outcome is frequent burnout of both clinical and admin staff. See cons) -Opportunities to assist with research conducted by R&D. They have published tons of work and have made many important contributions to the field. (But if you actually assist with the research, there is a very clear profit motive involved with decisions about the research they conduct. See cons)

Cons

- Frequent drop-ins and quality assurance checks, which can sometimes be beneficial. However, there is a reason I call this place the Starbucks of ABA. You must follow the CARD model. This results in cookie cutter treatment plans. The skills curriculum is extremely comprehensive and well-written. But you are not allowed to use any other assessment or programming tool. Under any circumstances. On my best days, I felt like I was in a straightjacket. On my worst days, I felt like was handcuffed. Stay away if you are a clinician who is creative and open to a variety of approaches, procedures, and clinical tools. - Similar to the previous point, they arrogantly believe that they are leaders in the field due to their superiority over others. The status quo can never be questioned. And God forbid that you try to make improvements or even show the slightest curiosity about anything that happens outside of CARD. - The bureaucratic workflows and administrative procedures are frustrating, inefficient, completely ludicrous and hilarious to deal with. I felt like I was in the movie Brazil. - Both salaried and hourly workers make far less than the average employee in the field of ABA. Seriously. Expect to earn 25-50% less than others with a similar position at a different company. Annual raises are a joke. The entry-level staff all feel insulted when they are 'rewarded' with a 15 cent raise and a slap in the face (and that's if they even get their annual review. The process to have someone approved for their annual eval is hilariously complicated and it involves at least 8 people all working in different locations). Senior level employees are not much better off. - I can go on all day. It's really sad, actually. This place seemed wonderful when I first started. I'm not sure what happened. It probably has something to do with the company being bought out by a private investment firm (blackstone) that is worth billions of dollars and is obsessed with growing at an aggressive rate. -They treat employees who are disabled very disrespectfully. Do not disclose any personal information to them. They will treat you like a liability and will deal with the 'problem' in a very intrusive, cold, and callous way.

11 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Current Employee

Lawsuits, allegations of unethical billing, secretive practices

Oct 2, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

None, because the 6-month outlook for this company is dire. Financials are in tatters and the company was recently taken over by a venture capitalist. Don't even count on reliable running water in the employee kitchen.

Cons

No BCBA should join CARD unless they relish comedy or pain. Salaries are well below what other ABA providers offer and there are allegations of very questionable and highly unethical billing practices. Don't count on getting your annual review either which means no raises. Many other reviewers here have noted this. If you do take the risk of working here, make sure to consult an employment attorney and get their agreement in writing for EVERYTHING thats important to you. The company has been the subject of at least two large class-action lawsuits (which they lost) for underpaying therapists for drive time and also for not paying overtime, so they're not afraid of court battles. Literally dozens of CARD's top researchers, BCBAs, marketing professionals, HR professionals, sales people, IT professionals have left the company because of the leadership team and what they have been doing. They tried to help by voicing their concerns for the activities they witness, but things quickly became suspiciously difficult for them, and they were pushed out. The leadership here lock themselves in on a separate floor. They're gatekeepers not leaders. All are former therapists, and not one has a business or marketing degree. To protect their 6 figure salaries, they make sure to NEVER hire anyone who might challenge them. They'll like you if you're a 'yes' man or woman, and blindly support their decisions. But should you have an idea to improve on something, be prepared to be ignored. You'll be deemed a threat and ostrasized.

36 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

This review is worth reading.

Sep 2, 2015 - Senior Therapist
    Business Outlook

Pros

- This job and field are so rewarding. The work we do with the children is life-changing and I look forward to working every day. - Previously, training was a pro, however, within the past six months, it has become more lax and the clinical quality seems to be declining. - I previously thought very highly of the case supervisors. The current supervisors lack clinical skills and it is becoming a trend for management to promote therapists with little experience and ABA knowledge. They have also been known to promote less qualified therapists to a supervisory position because they are desperate for people with their master's degree or BCBA certification. - Career opportunities for growth within the company

Cons

- The CEO has been reading these reviews and has even provided assignments for her employees to draft responses to negative Glassdoor reviews. This leads me to believe the recent positive reviews are coming from these employees (it is also shown in that they are cookie cutter responses). The company should focus more on proactively addressing the concerns within the company, rather than spending their work hours practicing how to explain their mistakes. - Per a representative from CARD in response to a negative review, "On average, CARD has a higher pay rate than most ABA companies, and we also have several opportunities available to therapists who are seeking a pay increase and/or promotion." -- I personally received my RBT certification and passed my BCAP because I was told I would receive a pay raise. However, I received less than a 50 cent pay raise. Furthermore, after having done my research, I now know there are many other companies that pay more than CARD for a starting therapist (even without RBT and BCAP). For example, ACES starts at $16-17 per hour; AST starts at $18; Easter Seals starts at $17-18; Behavior Support Solutions starts at $20-30 per hour. Despite what CARD says regarding competitive pay, their starting hourly rate is actually $12 an hour and though they say it is negotiable depending on experience, it does not come close to these other rates. - Although there are many opportunities for growth within the company (even creating new positions), management will often say they will promote and then not actually promote due to not being able to find ways to bill for these hours. CARD has even been known to promote then demote upon these positions not being monetarily beneficial to the company. Employees who are in this situation are typically required to do therapy in order to fulfill billable hours (example: my liaison is regularly called to do fill-in sessions throughout the week), indicating CARD's concern for profit over concern for their employees. - I have discussed these concerns on several occasions with my clinical manager to which I was provided with vague responses. CARD is definitely not what it used to be.

33 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Current Employee

Would not recommend

Sep 13, 2015 - Behavior Therapist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great working with Kids, and very flexible hours. This job is very rewarding if you love working with children and you will learn a lot about aba.

Cons

Management staff always seem overwhelmed. Hours can suck sometimes with terrible traffic in the bay area. There seems to be a disconnect between management and therapists.

7 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Love, love, love my career!

Nov 1, 2015 - Clinical Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Access to extremely intelligent BCBAs throughout the company. Receive mentorship from people that not only care about you professionally, but also personally. Opportunity to teach individuals with autism and know that you are making a difference in their lives. Fall in love with every client! Continually training to stay up to date on the latest or upcoming advancements in the field of ABA.

Cons

Some of the families coming in are at their boiling point and it can be somewhat difficult to get them to understand that a behavior will get better if they follow the plan consistently. When they start following the plan, it helps immensely! Some clients do not receive all of the funding for their recommended treatment even after the parents appeal.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Definitely organization problems, but extremely rewarding and fun.

Oct 24, 2015 - ABA Therapist in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most gratifying job I've ever had. Getting to know the kiddos and their families and watching your kid's progress, knowing you had a hand in getting them there, is rewarding beyond words. I have fun at my job and am excited to go to work every day. My coworkers are supportive, enthusiastic and passionate. In addition, if you are interested in the ABA field and furthering your education/career, CARD is an EXCELLENT starting point. I am about to finish my undergrad and will be going straight into a very reputable distance learning masters program through FIT with CARD's support. The training is phenomenal, and goes toward many certifications in the field. There are a lot of opportunities through CARD that you just couldn't find in other ABA jobs.

Cons

So there are a LOT of scathing reviews on here, and while I think they are the results of jaded employees, many of them are based in a vein of truth. For one thing, it is true that for the work you do the pay is a bit low. I have heard from employees that have been here longer that raises have been hard to come by for a long time. I do know that upper management enforced a pay freeze over the entire company for a while before I got here which had a hand in that. Since the freeze has ended, though, I have received my annual eval. This freeze wasn't the result of corruption in my opinion, but a necessary step to keep the company afloat. If you think about it, almost 100% of CARDs incoming money is fronted my insurance and can easily be defaulted on. Moving on to probably the biggest con, I can't deny that the admin side can be disorganized and a bit chaotic. They are pushed very hard, and often are stressed out and scrambling. Communication can be spotty and policies do tend to change a little more frequently than I would like. However, I have never seen these things as more than moderately irritating. Certainly not difficult enough to outweigh the pros.

7 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0

CARD Under COVID

Nov 4, 2020 - Behavior Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

CARD is a great place to start if you are unsure if ABA will be a job or a career. Schedules are constantly shifting (lemon), which means you have many opportunities to engage with children with a broad range of ASD symptoms (lemonade). My operations manager, scheduler, and BCBAs were quality human beings doing their best to make difficult times more livable.

Cons

Quality of care: CARD has a very high turnover rate, leading to floods of new trainees. With the push for home sessions due to COVID, this means that there are often new therapists working independently in homes with little support. Inconsistencies with the behavior plan laid out by the BCBA, lost stimuli in homes, frustrated parents -- all products of loading clients' schedules with new therapists. Safety: - Center-based sessions were running two clients and two therapists per room where social distancing could (theoretically) be maintained. Unfortunately, the clients we serve have difficulty inhibiting their behavior. - There was a confirmed COVID case among center-based staff. The center did not close. - Compliance with the company's PPE and health screening policies is variable among therapists -- from the newest to those in supervisory roles. - Each client can have as many as 5-6 therapists and each therapist averages 5-6 clients -- this is a huge, unwieldy, unnecessary map of vectors. Yes, generalization is important. Not killing little Sally's grandma is more important right now. Priorities / Compensation: - CARD was acquired by a private equity firm a few years back and the CEO brought on in 2019 is very business-oriented. This means employees receive weekly emails from the CEO focused on expansion while... - Pay is low when compared to positions at other companies with all but the lowest hiring standards (no experience, HS educated). - There is a freeze on pay increases. - PPE reimbursements are $10. - New employees do not have access to paid sick time during a pandemic for three months. - Staff cannot seek paid leave under FFCRA due to CARD's size.

4 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee

A job with so much potential, but so much disappointment!

Jan 10, 2015 - Senior Therapist
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Teaching children and helping their families -Working with a great group of people -Making a difference in peoples lives -The data collection for CARD really is exceptional -This company is great for the clients/families, but awful for the therapists that dedicate their lives to this field

Cons

I worked for CARD for well over two years. It was my first job straight out of college. The 40 hour ABA training upon hire was very helpful and systematic. The people working for CARD are great-everyone genuinely cares about the kids. It was rewarding to see some kids make so much progress. You really get attached to the kids. Here are my complaints, in no particular order. Most employees have these same complaints. In fact, while working there, the turnover rate was incredibly high. People are unhappy working for CARD. The therapists aren't compensated appropriately, and expected to drop everything at any minute to fill in a session. You sign at year-long contract, and many end up paying CARD for their training because they are simply miserable working for them and cannot stick around for an entire year. -The driving. I drove my 2005 car into the ground while working for CARD. They claim they will 'zone' you, but that's a lie. Many days I was driving well over 100 miles a day. Constantly stuck in traffic. Constantly stressed that I would be late to my next session. -The completely lack of respect and acknowledgment for your personal life. The scheduling was ridiculous. There would be days where I would have a three hour window between clients. Expect 12 hour days. Some days I would leave my house at 630 am and not be home until well after 8 pm. Expect to be burnt out. Expect to get texts and e-mails asking you to fill-in sessions for other therapists on your day off. Expect to eat dinner at 9 pm some days. Expect this company to become your life. -Inconsistent hours. If a client cancels, that's time you will not be compensated for. Expect inconsistent paychecks. I could work 30 hours one week, and 12 the next due to cancellations. If you have a client cancel, the office will try their hardest to find you hours to make up for it. Expect these hours to be with clients you've never seen, that are completely out of your way when it comes to driving. Expect these hours to be on your days off as well. Expect from time to time for clients to not call you, but cancel after you show up to their house. The office says they will compensate you for this time, and they do..at office rate, which is considerably less than therapy rate. -Because of these inconsistent hours, it is nearly impossible to attain benefits. Benefits require you to work 30 hours a week. With cancellations, sicknesses, etc, it's basically impossible. You need to work 30 hours a week, for three consecutive months to attain benefits. If you do not reach that goal, they have no problem taking your benefits away. -CARD says they compensate for your driving. This is partially true. They do not compensate your drive time from your house to your first client, or from your last client back home. It just so happened all of my longest drive times happened to be my first or last client. The compensation for driving is basically a smack in the face, considering the price of gas, the stress of being stuck in traffic, and all of the wear and tear that your car will endure while working for CARD. -Some of the environments that CARD sends you to are unacceptable work places. For example, houses with mold problems, apartments in which the cultural environment might mean they keep their place at 80 degrees. Houses in which the families are hoarders. It's just apart of the job, so don't expect every family to have a clean, healthy environment for you to be working in. -When I was hired at CARD, I was told there would be quarterly raises. Soon after, there was a company-wide raise. Because of this raise, we went on a wage freeze. No one received a raise for a year, regardless of therapy skills, sacrifices made for the clients, or session performance. When we finally received a raise, it was less than a dollar. Then we were told there would be a company-wide wage freeze for another year. The raise for going through senior training and having numerous additional responsibilities as a senior therapist? A dollar. I received two raises total, over the span of almost two and a half years, that equated to less than $3 total, including the senior therapist raise. Since then, they have lowered their qualifications for starting at the company. Now the requirements are you must be 18 years old. No college necessary. Because of this, they have lowered the starting rate at the company considerably. -The schedule changes 3 times a year. This is both good and bad. If you have a client you especially like, or a child who seems to respond to you especially well, there is no guarantee they will keep you on that child's case. If you are miserable on a certain client, for whatever reason, there is no guarantee they will take you off of that child's case. -As a senior therapist, one responsibility is to help train new therapists on the field. Therapists in training are expected to conduct entire sessions on their own, and senior therapists slowly fade out in giving feedback and help. This means that the people who are most qualified to work with your child will have many opportunities taken away via new hire training. It is beneficial to the new hire to get this experience, but so many parents were unhappy when there were overlaps with new people. Completely understandable. Senior therapists are hard to come by, because most people don't stick around long enough to be nominated for senior training, or don't want the additional responsibilities for only a dollar raise. This is my honest review of CARD. I hope it has been helpful. I loved working with the kids. I was emotionally attached to the job. Making the decision to put in my two weeks was so hard. I felt I was letting down my clients and coworkers. Although it was hard to leave, I do not regret quitting. I am no longer constantly stressed. I am home in time to eat dinner at a normal hour. I don't get texts and e-mails asking me to work on my day off. As I said above, CARD is a good company for the kids, but absolutely horrible for the therapists.

24 people found this review helpful

content manager

Thank you for providing detailed feedback and information regarding your time at CARD. We are very glad to hear that you had some wonderful times with the clients and families you worked with during your time as a therapist. With that said, we would like to address some of the concerns you mentioned in your statement. Compensation While it is true that we have experienced periods in which a wage freeze was necessary to sustain business, there have also been times, such as the one you mentioned, in which we were able to provide wage increases across the board for all therapists. Ideally, each and every valued CARD employee would receive wage increases at each point of eligibility, however, CARD is not immune to economic challenges that all businesses are facing. At times, it is simply not feasible to provide large rate increases to all of our staff members. You additionally mentioned a high turnover rate. I would like to clarify that our turnover rate here at CARD is actually 20% lower than that of similar companies, while our average pay is 20% higher. Training and Commitment Contract It is wonderful to hear that you found your 40-hour ABA training to be very helpful and systematic. We are continually striving to ensure that CARD therapists receive the best and most current training available. In order to do so we offer a variety of training packages, some optional and some required, all of which are in line with what the Behavior Analyst Certification Board deems necessary and appropriate for clinicians in the field of ABA. Many training programs are offered to employees free of charge. We do ask that new therapists commit to one year of employment, in exchange for extensive paid training they receive. Similarly to any coursework you would complete, there is a fee associated with the training program. These trainings are also available for purchase to individuals who are not going to become a CARD therapist and simply wish to obtain their Registered Behavior Technician certification. We have found that the vast majority of therapists (currently 1400 across 37 locations) also feel that they have received high quality training, and have no problem committing to a year of employment. They understand that this training is a benefit provided by CARD, and also that the one year commitment is a benefit the all clients they service, ensuring a more qualified therapy staff. While there may be clients who prefer fewer training overlaps, this is a necessary component of training in order to ensure the new therapist will be successful in their independent therapy sessions. By providing modeling and feedback throughout the session, the trainee will become more and more successful member of the therapy team. One way that we have worked to improve this process is to ensure that new trainees are receiving case-specific training. Additionally, it would not be clinically appropriate to send a therapist to work with a client if they have not been properly trained. Scheduling Scheduling is one of the most difficult aspects of CARD’s business model. A therapist is never required to complete a fill-in session nor is a therapist ever required to work from 8am to 8pm. Therapists let their scheduler know what hours they are available, and they are assigned sessions accordingly. We all have days when we call out sick, our car breaks down, etc., and so in those cases the CARD scheduler will attempt to find a replacement therapist. This means they will potentially look at your availability and see that you might be free to complete the session in place of the absent therapist. This is not a requirement, and is similar to any situation in which an appointment needs to be covered by a qualified individual. While we greatly appreciate therapists who are willing to pitch in and ensure the client is not missing a needed employment, there is never a punishment for a person who is not able to attend a fill-in session. We understand that when a client cancels a session it can be disruptive to the therapist. Unfortunately there will always be situations in which families need to cancel an appointment. We will do our best to find a replacement session for this therapist so that they will not lose hours for the week, and so that the client who they do work with will benefit from receiving a therapy session they may not have otherwise received. There may not be a session available each time, so we have also offered more projects for therapists that may be completed in the office. We would like to thank you again for your feedback, though it is unfortunate that you feel negative about your experience at CARD. We know that this is a demanding and challenging position, and we will continue to provide additional support wherever possible.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 52 Reviews